Best Left Tackle in the league? Really?

Got_Wood

Because I thought that these guys were at least as good or better...

Better:

Walter Jones - Seahawks

Orlando Pace - Rams

Flozell Adams - Cowboys

Joe Thomas - Browns

Chris Samuels - Redskins

Matt Light - Patriots

As good:

Tony Ugoh - Colts

Jammal Brown - Saints

Marcus McNeill - Chargers

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Jets

Anyone who thinks Flozell Adams is better than Jason Peters doesn't watch much football. Orlando Pace didn't play last year ...

Keep in mind that he is not only one of the top LT in the League, his position LT is likely the second most important position in all of football behind QB. So not only is he incredibly valuable at his position; the LT position is key to on field success of the whole team.

Peters is no doubt a very good left tackle. BUT, he needs to be a man about this AND he needs to think about his team. Does he care about winning or is it all about himself?

He didn't confront our front office and demand a new contract. He hid away from everyone and made everyone assume he was upset. He let his greedy agent do all the (lack of) talking. What kind of BS is this?! If you want money, you come out and ask for it! Tell it to the front office. Tell it straight Russ Brandon's face. Say "I will not play unless you pay me more."

The point of this post is that there are A LOT of talented players in this league. You can be replaced. The Bills gave Peters an extension and bonus BEFORE anyone knew anything about him. They were LOYAL. He needs to return the respect.

maybe he really cares about winning and decided it's not gonna happen with this halfass outfit

Ive always felt Peters was overrated by the media and a lot of fans, most likely because he is a converted TE that wasnt drafted. Is he good, yes, is he as good as Walter Jones, Pace or Ogden were in their prime, absolutely not. Could he be, maybe but he isnt anywhere near there yet. I still think he looks raw at times and as someone else mentioned, he is a better pass blocker then run blocker.

I would take Joe Thomas over him in a heartbeat.

Because I thought that these guys were at least as good or better...

Better:

Walter Jones - Seahawks

Orlando Pace - Rams

Flozell Adams - Cowboys

Joe Thomas - Browns

Chris Samuels - Redskins

Matt Light - Patriots

As good:

Tony Ugoh - Colts

Jammal Brown - Saints

Marcus McNeill - Chargers

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Jets

You see...........never mind.

(Are you mods proud of my exercise at self control?) :angry:

Just to stir things up with something i haven't seen mentioned here:

I think Peters played better two years ago than last year when it looked like he got sloppy/lazy on a couple plays per game. I think he just made the pro bowl because the public recognition caught up to his talent.

I think he's a great young talent, but not the top LT in the league. He needs to keep working on his run blocking. I'd like to see the passion that caused him to maul defenders his first couple years, admittedly with awkward WWF form.

Walter Jones isn't quite as good without Hutchinson. He also doesn't have to make up for Fowler and Walker. Orlando Pace is still good, but isn't the same after the injury. Flozell Adams? Are you kidding? Chris Samuels- very good LT. Matt Light- disqualified. The Patriots cheat

Tony Ugoh- he is part of there success, they are part of his. They actually ae an NFL franchise, we aren't. Jamaal Brown- no. Marcus McNeil- no. D'Brickasaw Ferguson :angry:

Didn't Pace get hurt last year? How do you know he isn't as good anymore? He hasn't played in a game yet. Of course there are probably 10 articles stating this (I'd wouldn't mind seeing one), but just wondering.

...and now that you're angry at the situation, somehow his play and talent level has dropped. Typical round' here.

Wrong. The all-world left side of the line was mediocre in terms of run blocking last year and it was nothing to do with Peters holdout.

Didn't Pace get hurt last year? How do you know he isn't as good anymore? He hasn't played in a game yet. Of course there are probably 10 articles stating this (I'd wouldn't mind seeing one), but just wondering.

He was near retirement and was starting to slide already- after a major injury, he won't be better than he was in his prime......slip of the tongue on the original post

Ive always felt Peters was overrated by the media and a lot of fans, most likely because he is a converted TE that wasnt drafted. Is he good, yes, is he as good as Walter Jones, Pace or Ogden were in their prime, absolutely not. Could he be, maybe but he isnt anywhere near there yet. I still think he looks raw at times and as someone else mentioned, he is a better pass blocker then run blocker.

I would take Joe Thomas over him in a heartbeat.

You may be right, but this is quite doubtful as a consensus has developed among the league's coach's, fellow players and the fans that he was chosen to last year's Pro Bowl. Thomas was ranked lower by this consensus as he was an injury replacement.

I think that folks are correctly impressed with Thomas but the risk is so much higher with him because he was a rookie.

Peters on the other hand has actually shown more upside in that he has also accomplished his feats near the beginning of his career but also has done this with a position change from TE as a pro while Jackson to the best of my knowledge has been used as a OL player.

Will Thomas keep developing as a player? Yep he should. Will Peters develop even more than Thomas as a player? He should not because even a couple of years is a lot of years in a short NFL career, but it seems evident that Thomas who made the jump from TE to RT and from RT to LT in an incredibly short time may actually still develop more than Thomas. Peters has naturally gotten more attention to his good work as a vet than Thomas got as a rookie, but the sky is still the limit for newbie to LT Peters while Thomas may get significant perfection of his game, but Peters simply offers possibilities on a different plane.

Everyone on here thought he was the best LT in football last year, and now that you're angry at the situation, somehow his play and talent level has dropped. Typical round' here.

I don't think so. I think everyone was excited about what he was GOING TO BE. Too many players in professional sports are judged on potential. Look at Kwame Brown in basketball. Number one overall pick based on his enormous size and athleticism... that turned out great. Now nobody wants him, but he's banked millions of dollars while everyone else figured that out.

Rookie contracts are worth more than veterans. Everyone wants to be paid, and paid big.

"What if I get injured?" - Well, that's a risk everyone takes playing in this league. It just seems like players get whinier about it every year, and use it as an excuse to get a big signing bonus.

"I want a long term contract!" they say. Then when they get that long term contract, they are upset a year later that it isn't enough.

Where do team owners draw the line? Where does the league draw the line?

Sports aren't fun when you always have to worry about the business side of things. I get enough of that in my 9 to 5.

I don't think so. I think everyone was excited about what he was GOING TO BE. Too many players in professional sports are judged on potential. Look at Kwame Brown in basketball. Number one overall pick based on his enormous size and athleticism... that turned out great. Now nobody wants him, but he's banked millions of dollars while everyone else figured that out.

Rookie contracts are worth more than veterans. Everyone wants to be paid, and paid big.

"What if I get injured?" - Well, that's a risk everyone takes playing in this league. It just seems like players get whinier about it every year, and use it as an excuse to get a big signing bonus.

"I want a long term contract!" they say. Then when they get that long term contract, they are upset a year later that it isn't enough.

Where do team owners draw the line? Where does the league draw the line?

Sports aren't fun when you always have to worry about the business side of things. I get enough of that in my 9 to 5.

I think that you actually state the argument of why Peters is worth so much in terms of absolute market value in the NFL.

1. His initial salary was the base that a UDFA could receive rather than a risky long term contract.

2. He demonstrated in the real world his market value when other teams had enough interest in poaching him from the Bills when he was on the PS he won a fulltime roster slot.

3. He proved quite willing to try out at other positions than TE where his college play had won him the plaudits that he got being assigned an OL number right from start (remember the penalty he got when we were forced to put him in at TE and he did not announce his prescence with a non-TE # to the refs). Not only was he willing to try but the coaches described him as unblockable on ST and he actually produced in a real game not only blocking the punt but showing the hands and game awareness to pick it up for the TD.

4. He made the jump from ST real world production to take JMacs guidance and try out for tackle. Despite never having played that position, he made himself enough of a fixture that the Bills were willing to extend his contract and pay him a significant bonus to be our RT of the future.

5. In the face of the hugely disrupted horrible Mike Williams led OL JMac inherited, Peters actually made the jump that accomplished collegiate RT Williams could not make at all and moved to the L position where he won recognition from a balanced vote of fans, peers and coaches to be an LT on the 07 Pro Bowl team.

Peters is exactly the type of player you want to have as your LT forever because he has produced time and again in the "real" of this boys game.

This isn't Pop Warner. It's professional football. Did we say the same thing about Butler who had two years left on his contract? why not?

Who in the NFL as a player really cares about winning so much that they're willing to take half, or less, of their open market value in exchange for that. Brady gave up a bunch but he already had one of the richest contracts in the NFL. Peters doesn't even have anything close to the richest for his position yet he's a top-10 player there easily, likely higher, and isn't even remotely compensated accordingly. Why not?

This is a business first and foremost and if you don't believe that then you're fooling yourself. And I know that you understand that it is.

Who knows what's going on, but you say he should just ask. Evans has done that and they haven't given him a new deal. So you're assuming that when Peters does publicly, and it's foolish to think that he hasn't said anything at all in private, the team will respond. That's a poor assumption.

You can make the same argument you made for Peters to closeout your post for Butler or Schobel. So why doesn't that apply to them? At least be consistent in your positions.

The Bills also gave Peters an extension BEFORE he became one of the top performing LTs in the league or even took a snap at LT. Does that factor in somehow?

Brady didn't give up money, he had his contract re-structured..