Throwdown with Bobby Flay - Buffalo Wings

Just Jack

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I saw Bobby Flays version of wings this winter and that was pretty awful with the breading and all, but (let me preface by saying I actually like some of his shows) when Alton Brown decided to make semi-authentic wings. This somehow turned into an hour-long process (I know he explains the science behind what he's doing and sometimes that's actually pretty cool), but he STEAMED the wings and then baked them. :wallbash:

I don't know it may be the WNY-er in me, but let's not convolute the issue, if you have, wings, fryer, franks and blue cheese, you're pretty much all set I thought. :wallbash:

You know I saw Bobby Flays version of wings this winter and that was pretty awful with the breading and all, but (let me preface by saying I actually like some of his shows) when Alton Brown decided to make semi-authentic wings. This somehow turned into an hour-long process (I know he explains the science behind what he's doing and sometimes that's actually pretty cool), but he STEAMED the wings and then baked them. :lol:

I don't know it may be the WNY-er in me, but let's not convolute the issue, if you have, wings, fryer, franks and blue cheese, you're pretty much all set I thought. :unsure:

He steamed them because not averyone has a huge deep fryer. It did it for several reasons, but didn't he also back them and part of the reason for steaming? I haven't tried his way, but it didn't sound too bad.

Happen to catch this on Food Network last night while flipping through the channels.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_bt/ep...6_51100,00.html

I think Bobby could have won, but he used Jicama sticks instead of celery, and that was one thing the judges pointed out that for presentation, celery and carrots was the way to go.

Here's an article on it.

http://www.buffalowing.com/throwdown.php

One of the frequent Iron Chef judges, Ted Allen, has a new half-hour show. The theme seems to be exploring this or that old saw about foods.

I didn't catch the whole thing, but one segment was about beverages that quell the residual hotness of foods - like wing sauce - that contain capsacin (sp?). They said that the capsacin binged to taste buds. A panel of tasters triede various beverages to see which were effective. Carbonated beverages worsened the aftertaste, but milk (the casein protein) bound the capsacin and removed it.

Which made me think about blue cheese as a popular addition to a meal of hot wings.

He steamed them because not averyone has a huge deep fryer. It did it for several reasons, but didn't he also back them and part of the reason for steaming? I haven't tried his way, but it didn't sound too bad.

Here is the episode for your viewing pleasure:

Part 1

Part 2

One of the frequent Iron Chef judges, Ted Allen, has a new half-hour show. The theme seems to be exploring this or that old saw about foods.

I didn't catch the whole thing, but one segment was about beverages that quell the residual hotness of foods - like wing sauce - that contain capsacin (sp?). They said that the capsacin binged to taste buds. A panel of tasters triede various beverages to see which were effective. Carbonated beverages worsened the aftertaste, but milk (the casein protein) bound the capsacin and removed it.

Which made me think about blue cheese as a popular addition to a meal of hot wings.

If Ted Allen is the dude from "Queer Eye" then I saw that episode as well, and he mentioned that bleu cheese was probably used as a dip just for that purpose.

If Ted Allen is the dude from "Queer Eye" then I saw that episode as well, and he mentioned that bleu cheese was probably used as a dip just for that purpose.

On a side note from that episode, he tested whether baking soda in the fridge works. The conclusion was that it does work but that activated charcoal is much better due to its extremely large surface area. I've got a jug of it sitting upstairs from my old canister filter. I'm going to get me a container for it for my fridge.

On a side note from that episode, he tested whether baking soda in the fridge works. The conclusion was that it does work but that activated charcoal is much better due to its extremely large surface area. I've got a jug of it sitting upstairs from my old canister filter. I'm going to get me a container for it for my fridge.

I saw that episode too and immediately set the show on a season pass on my tivo. The experiment on the "5 second rule", also in that episode, was hilarious.

I saw that episode too and immediately set the show on a season pass on my tivo. The experiment on the "5 second rule", also in that episode, was hilarious.

Sorry but it was a lame episode. Stole the chili pepper thing from Alton Brown. And the whole five second rule is a professional kitchen joke. Has nothing to do whether or not it's edible and everything to do with "it's ok to serve it was only lying in the filth for five seconds." Sorry to break it to you folks.

Sorry but it was a lame episode. Stole the chili pepper thing from Alton Brown. And the whole five second rule is a professional kitchen joke. Has nothing to do whether or not it's edible and everything to do with "it's ok to serve it was only lying in the filth for five seconds." Sorry to break it to you folks.

Alton Brown is my heRO

Alton Brown should have shown the correct way to make wings first, then show his bastardization.

His way takes several hours and he doesn't like the celery and Blue cheese.

1) Take the wings and put them in the hot oil for 7-10 minutes

2) Drain on paper towels (30 seconds)

3) Melt butter and mix with Franks while they are frying

4) Shake with sauce (30 seconds)

Total time 10 minutes max,15 min if you have to heat the oil.

I have a Fry Daddy for just wings.

If the process is different, make sure you say it is your recipe, not real wings.

All I know is that all three experiments on that show were pretty funny--definitely worth checking out the show again for at least the entertainment value.

If one is a foody or a pro, I'm guessing there aren't many shows on Food Network, let alone a show like Food Detectives, that are worth watching.

All I know is that all three experiments on that show were pretty funny--definitely worth checking out the show again for at least the entertainment value.

If one is a foody or a pro, I'm guessing there aren't many shows on Food Network, let alone a show like Food Detectives, that are worth watching.

I enjoyed it too. A good friend of mine is on the show, he's the 'science expert' that lead the investigation of the 5 second rule. He had some amusing stories about mishaps during the shooting. Apparently they didn't make it onto the final episode. He'll be in at least six more episodes as the molecular biology/microbiology expert.