Why We Are Really In Trouble For 2005

San-O

Four years into the TD era, we are possibly one of the worst teams in

the league. I think the 2004 Bills are slightly better than this, but not much.

The problem I have looking forward is last year we were supposed to make the

playoffs, and this year we were supposed to be setup to make a real run and

make some noise.

Problem # 1: The O-line needs a major overhaul.

Problem # 2: We are going to be starting a "rookie" QB next year.

Problem # 3: The D-line still can not generate preasure on the QB and I don't

know if Pat Williams and Sam Adams are going to be effective two years from now.

Problem # 4: We traded away our # 1 pick next year.

This is looking like bad because this team was built to be winning now and

obviously we are a long way away from that.

Sorry.

:doh:

Why don't we give ourselves the luxury of just worrying about this year right now.

There's going to be a lot of churning on the team as the season progresses, and the NFL offseasons have become increasingly unpredictable.

Let's just say the Bills will have numerous options in 2005, and talk about how the team is going to manage the Dolphins.

SoCal....

- We can still get guys in Free Agency......

- I would bring in a Free Agent OL, DE, and draft the best available safety.......

Lets keep in mind that next years QB will be just a tad more mobile.......

65646[/snapback]

I hear you. It's just that free agents cost money, which we seem to be OK with

regarding the cap. I just have lost all confidence in TD to build the line and a

free agent DE is going to be very expensive. I would have liked to see us

in a position to draft for quality/value after 4 years with the current Gm as opposed to need.

Why don't we  give ourselves the luxury of just worrying about this year right now.

There's going to be a lot of churning on the team as the season progresses, and the NFL offseasons have become increasingly unpredictable.

Let's just say the Bills will have numerous options in 2005, and talk about how the team is going to manage the Dolphins.

65658[/snapback]

You know what, I see your point of living in the day, however we've been looking

forward to this team for four years and it's just not going to happen.

Holy Crap!

First someone gives up on the Miami game.

Then someone gives up on the season.

Now we're giving up on NEXT YEAR???

When you contradict yourself as much as ICE does, you're bound to be right about one thing, and he was right about this: I'm glad I don't have to do battle with a bunch of freakin' assclow quitters.

Writing off next year, indeed. How fuggin' pathetic.

When you contradict yourself as much as ICE does, you're bound to be right about one thing, and he was right about this: I'm glad I don't have to do battle with a bunch of freakin' assclow quitters.

65683[/snapback]

I miss the ICEMAN. :doh:

You know what, I see your point of living in the day, however we've been looking

forward to this team for four years and it's just not going to happen.

65677[/snapback]

I've followed this team for just about 30 years. I know that the Ringo teams were followed by the Knox teams and that the Stephenson/Bullough teams were followed by the Levy teams.

In the middle of 1985 nobody really knew who Levy was. Nobody knew that Jim Kelly was coming.

Things change quickly in this league, and they still can. Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in 2005.

I'm more interested in seeing if Mularkey can turn things around this year.

Holy Crap!

First someone gives up on the Miami game.

Then someone gives up on the season.

Now we're giving up on NEXT YEAR???

Writing off next year, indeed. How fuggin' pathetic.

65683[/snapback]

Hey man, this team was built to be getting something accomplished by this point.

Not trying to be negative, just realistic that we may need to accept and minor

rebuild next year.

Where do you see the 2004 Bills finishing the season???

Where do you see the 2004 Bills finishing the season???

65699[/snapback]

At the end of the season.

And that's as far as I'll ever predict.

So many people love to predict what's going to happen, and the simple truth is absolutely noone knows what will happen from one game to the next....or even from one player to the next.

Let's say Bledsoe gets hurt just as Losman is healed, but we've won a couple of games.

Let's say Pennington gets hurt before we play them again.

Let's say Jamal Lewis gets suspended and can't play when we go to Baltimore.

Let's say Ricky Williams decides to s-hitcan his career before the season even starts.

No one ever knows what is going to happen from day to the next let alone one game to the next, and if you feel better predicting doom and gloom simply so when it happens you either won't be disappointed, or can tell everyone you were right, then fine.

But Christ man...predicting that next year will suck too?

I'm glad I don't work for someone who thinks that way.

At the end of the season.

And that's as far as I'll ever predict.

So many people love to predict what's going to happen, and the simple truth is absolutely noone knows what will happen from one game to the next....or even from one player to the next.

Let's say Bledsoe gets hurt just as Losman is healed, but we've won a couple of games.

Let's say Pennington gets hurt before we play them again.

Let's say Jamal Lewis gets suspended and can't play when we go to Baltimore.

Let's say Ricky Williams decides to s-hitcan his career before the season even starts.

No one ever knows what is going to happen from day to the next let alone one game to the next, and if you feel better predicting doom and gloom simply so when it happens you either won't be disappointed, or can tell everyone you were right, then fine.

But Christ man...predicting that next year will suck too?

I'm glad I don't work for someone who thinks that way.

65719[/snapback]

I am not a half empty, half full kind of guy. To me, I ask the question it depends

on whether you are putting water in, or taking water out.

We have seen water put in for almost four years and we made need to take

some water out and cut our losses. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I am

a realist.

If you worked for me, or I worked for you, do you think either of us would be

happy with the performance of the organization after four years?

I've followed this team for just about 30 years.  I know that the Ringo teams were followed by the Knox teams and that the Stephenson/Bullough teams were followed by the Levy teams.

In the middle of 1985 nobody really knew who Levy was.  Nobody knew that Jim Kelly was coming.

Things change quickly in this league, and they still can.  Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen in 2005.

I'm more interested in seeing if Mularkey can turn things around this year.

65697[/snapback]

I understand. You must be my age. I grew up in Hamburg, about 5 minutes away

from where the stadium is now. I remember being at the War Memorial. I had an

O.J. poster in my bedroom.

Things can turn, you are correct. I was just hoping that we had seen the light at

the end of the tunnel and turned the corner.

Don't see that right now.

SoCal....

- We can still get guys in Free Agency......

- I would bring in a Free Agent OL, DE, and draft the best available safety.......

Lets keep in mind that next years QB will be just a tad more mobile.......

65646[/snapback]

That line needs more than a tweak like signing a FA lineman unless that guy is a stud. Most of our line is made up of crappy FA's as it is. MW and Jonas are the only O-line starters we drafted. By the way, Losman was no escape artist in college. Point is, he will basically be not much more experienced than a rookie next year and as with any draft pick, success is not guaranteed. Be careful what you wish for.

The problem I have looking forward is last year we were supposed to make the

playoffs, and this year we were supposed to be setup to make a real run and

make some noise.

This is looking like bad because this team was built to be winning now and

obviously we are a long way away from that.

65632[/snapback]

I don't agree with the above statements. This team was not built to be winning now. It was built to win last year under the premise that Bledsoe would be good. However, TD hedged his bets and actually eyed 2005 when the team collapsed last year. His original plan was for this to be the year but actions indicate this year was meant to be a throwaway rebuild year with an eye to be a major contender in 2005. Here's why I believe this

He hired a rookie head coach from a different organization. A team planning to be a major contender does not bring in a rookie head coach. Even the great ones didn't do much in their 1st year. Look at the great coaches & most had a tough rookie year. TD knows this, the Mullarchy hire was a step backwards, preparing for 2005 & beyond.

He drafted the QB of the future so he wouldn't have a rookie starting in 2005. If you think they thought Bledsoe was anything more than 50-50 to come back, why trade so much to get Losman. If Bledsoe could beat the odds, they would be a playoff contender, if not start Losman in the second half (plan before he broke his leg). This move screams a sacrifice of 2004.

Figured Willis would not be 100% to start 2004 & kept Henry to carry the load. Once again, this move screams rebuild. The bounty for trading Henry will be realized in 2005, the target date of the turn around, not 2004, the rebuilding year. The plan has always been to trade Travis Henry, not Willis McGahee.

Cut Ruben Brown. There was no way they would find a player who would be as good as Ruben this year. If they were planning on winning Ruben would have stayed. He burned his bridges with Gregg's staff, not Mullarchy's.

Didn't add anything in free agency. Only brought in players to replace departed ones. Didn't try to upgrade the team through free agency. Wait until this offseason. I believe they'll be as aggressive as 2003.

I don't agree with the above statements.  This team was not built to be winning now.  It was built to win last year under the premise that Bledsoe would be good.  However, TD hedged his bets and actually eyed 2005 when the team collapsed last year.  His original plan was for this to be the year but actions indicate this year was meant to be a throwaway rebuild year with an eye to be a major contender in 2005.  Here's why I believe this

He hired a rookie head coach from a different organization.  A team planning to be a major contender does not bring in a rookie head coach.  Even the great ones didn't do much in their 1st year.  Look at the great coaches & most had a tough rookie year. TD knows this, the Mullarchy hire was a step backwards, preparing for 2005 & beyond.

He drafted the QB of the future so he wouldn't have a rookie starting in 2005.  If you think they thought Bledsoe was anything more than 50-50 to come back, why trade so much to get Losman.  If Bledsoe could beat the odds, they would be a playoff contender, if not start Losman in the second half (plan before he broke his leg).  This move screams a sacrifice of 2004.

Figured Willis would not be 100% to start 2004 & kept Henry to carry the load.  Once again, this move screams rebuild.  The bounty for trading Henry will be realized in 2005, the target date of the turn around, not 2004, the rebuilding year.  The plan has always been to trade Travis Henry, not Willis McGahee.

Cut Ruben Brown.  There was no way they would find a player who would be as good as Ruben this year.  If they were planning on winning Ruben would have stayed.  He burned his bridges with Gregg's staff, not Mullarchy's. 

Didn't add anything in free agency.  Only brought in players to replace departed ones.  Didn't try to upgrade the team through free agency.  Wait until this offseason. I believe they'll be as aggressive as 2003.

65813[/snapback]

That's really my point. I think that we are in a mild rebuilding period now.

and if you feel better predicting doom and gloom simply so when it happens you either won't be disappointed, or can tell everyone you were right, then fine.

65719[/snapback]

And those are the ONLY two reasons to preach doom and gloom.

I've been disappointed so many times, between my formerly beloved Browns and these Bills, that I'm pretty much immune to it. In other words, I don't particularly care for the doom and gloom bit, or care that you are doing it for self-preservation or sadistic glee. You get NO reaction from me.

I prefer to be an optimist. That way, I can be pleasantly surprised. :)

And if not...oh well, that's life. I've got plenty more to fall back on.

Mike

I don't agree with the above statements.  This team was not built to be winning now.  It was built to win last year under the premise that Bledsoe would be good.  However, TD hedged his bets and actually eyed 2005 when the team collapsed last year.  His original plan was for this to be the year but actions indicate this year was meant to be a throwaway rebuild year with an eye to be a major contender in 2005.  Here's why I believe this

He hired a rookie head coach from a different organization.  A team planning to be a major contender does not bring in a rookie head coach.  Even the great ones didn't do much in their 1st year.  Look at the great coaches & most had a tough rookie year. TD knows this, the Mullarchy hire was a step backwards, preparing for 2005 & beyond.

He drafted the QB of the future so he wouldn't have a rookie starting in 2005.  If you think they thought Bledsoe was anything more than 50-50 to come back, why trade so much to get Losman.  If Bledsoe could beat the odds, they would be a playoff contender, if not start Losman in the second half (plan before he broke his leg).  This move screams a sacrifice of 2004.

Figured Willis would not be 100% to start 2004 & kept Henry to carry the load.  Once again, this move screams rebuild.  The bounty for trading Henry will be realized in 2005, the target date of the turn around, not 2004, the rebuilding year.  The plan has always been to trade Travis Henry, not Willis McGahee.

Cut Ruben Brown.  There was no way they would find a player who would be as good as Ruben this year.  If they were planning on winning Ruben would have stayed.  He burned his bridges with Gregg's staff, not Mullarchy's. 

Didn't add anything in free agency.  Only brought in players to replace departed ones.  Didn't try to upgrade the team through free agency.  Wait until this offseason. I believe they'll be as aggressive as 2003.

65813[/snapback]

Although it is conspiracy theory in tone, this post makes quite a bit of sense.

The only area about which I disagree is Ruben Brown. Harv, he sucked last season, almost beyond words. He was infected by the Fina mentality that giving a qb 3 seconds to throw is all a lineman must do.

I am not (as you can imagine) thrilled by Smith, but Ruben was a 270 lb. washed up sack of stevestojan, and cutting him was one move about which I tip my cap to TD.

PS: Yes, Ruben WAS good for the community, etc. I am making the case that he was no longer a good football player.

I hope no one really expected us to win everything this year, while I believe we will still finish .500, I don't recall posting that this was a super bowl team, I said we COULD win every game we have the talent, But we also COULD lose every game we have new coaches. i truly believe that if we were healthy we wouldn't be 0-4, LM may have broken up that pass in game one, he may have not been beaten by a QB/point guard turned WR in the 2nd game. Being 2-0 may have given us confidence to beat NE, and the Jets. But we have to except these loses because it's the past, the season is still young and Bledsoe is looking better. Lets not talk about next year, when there is still 12 games left, maybe Miami is our wake up win.