Wednesday Factoid

Dr. Trooth

Did you know? Only 13 of 32 starting NFL Centers are at least 300 lbs. or more!! So, 19 of 32 NFL teams have what some of us might conclude are undersized at center.

And... those starting centers that are considered the creme de la creme by most ... Kreutz, Mawae, Hartings, and Koppen are all under 300 lbs.

The moral of of this factoid is that weight may not be the biggest factor for a starting center. Strength, athleticism, technique, and smarts must rate very high. In the case of Mel Fowler... perhaps his weight, athleticism, and smarts are OK. I this is true, then... this offseason he needs to work on his strength and technique?

Did you know? Only 13 of 32 starting NFL Centers are at least 300 lbs. or more!! So, 19 of 32 NFL teams have what some of us might conclude are undersized at center.

And... those starting centers that are considered the creme de la creme by most ... Kreutz, Mawae, Hartings, and Koppen are all under 300 lbs.

The moral of of this factoid is that weight may not be the biggest factor for a starting center. Strength, athleticism, technique, and smarts must rate very high. In the case of Mel Fowler... perhaps his weight, athleticism, and smarts are OK. I this is true, then... this offseason he needs to work on his strength and technique?

Strength and technique are a issue with him. Ive seen many plays where he has been pushed into McGahee on run plays. I think he can improve in those aspects. But ive also seen the guy make nice blocks. I think it takes time to gel with a new OL and a new QB behind him.

As long as he can get the job done, I can careless if he weighed 200 pounds.......

I've been pleasantly surprised and happy with the play of Fowler this season. He shows good intelligence with the line calls as he seems to have all the blitz pickup assignments in order for the most part (which is a strong contrast to last season). He also pulls very well and gets out to make a second block well on running plays. He gets pushed back a little vs. the pass but there is still a decent pocket on most plays and he doesn't lack in this area like Teague did.

He lacks lower body strength. I think that's why he gets blown up on running plays. He can handle the hand fighting on pass protection and he's athletic enough to pull. He just seems to get bull rushed up the middle on run plays.