How the coaches voted

IBTG81

Jim Tressell didn't vote because of the conflict of interest in choosing his opponent. 'Bout time somebody at Harris Interactive noticed the problem. So, ya think Lloyd Carr with his bitter ass is going to be voting honestly next year when it comes to Florida and OSU?

On another note: Why did Jim Walden (former Iowa State and Washington State coach not listed in Ed's link) vote Florida No.1 over Ohio State? He called the Big Ten a "joke." :D

On another note: Why did Jim Walden (for Iowa State and Washington State coach not listed in Ed's link) vote Florida No.1 over Ohio State? He called the Big Ten a "joke."  :blush:

856694[/snapback]

Not only that....look what he said on November 10th: http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/172550/

Anderson said the computers would move Arkansas ahead because of schedule strength. But Walden said Texas would still deserve to be rated higher than every other one-loss team if it wins out because the Longhorns’ only loss was to No. 1 Ohio State.

“You’re never going to get me to vote for one team ahead of a team that’s only lost to the best team in the country,” Walden said.

Yet that is exactly what he did. He actually went beyond that, and put Florida #1.

Can we please not have complete morons deciding who does and doesn't get to play in games that generate hundreds of millions of dollars?

Not only that....look what he said on November 10th: http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/172550/

Yet that is exactly what he did.  He actually went beyond that, and put Florida #1.

Can we please not have complete morons deciding who does and doesn't get to play in games that generate hundreds of millions of dollars?

856806[/snapback]

Unfortunately, no.

I'd wager my next paycheck that the average college coach knows LESS about teams outside their own conference than the average poster on this board.

858288[/snapback]

No doubt. But I can't say that I blame them. Working 60-70 hour weeks with your busiest day being the day that everyone else is watching all the games, I can't imagine how any of them could possibly be informed. When I was at ND, I used to pull all-nighters in this computer cluster by the JACC where the coaches offices are. I'd roll out most mornings at about 4:30 and Charlie's black Escalade was always in the first spot. Dude would put in 14 hour days on the regular. I can't imagine that he knows anything about the Big East, or Big XII or anything. How could he have time?

Which is why it is so stupid to make their opinions so important in the national championship discussion and ranking.

I'd wager my next paycheck that the average college coach knows LESS about teams outside their own conference than the average poster on this board.

858288[/snapback]

I would say that is easily the case. Many coaches readily admit that they do not watch any other games on Saturdays other than their own. And even more readily admit that they don't have the time or the interest to vote in the poll, and pass the duty off to one of their underlings.

The fact that the Coaches Poll comprises 1/3 of the formula for arranging championship games and bowl matchups, and yet they are so blase about the task, is comically alarming.

It's shocking how the NCAA can get basketball so right, and yet they can't get out of their own way when it comes to football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.