gandy out at LT, peters to LT, reyes benched ...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Butler was a hot head underachiever while at UVA. He also tended to rely on being bigger than everyone else while playing. Anybody with an ounce of speed can get by him. He is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

I don't know anything about Pennington, but I about lost my lunch when we drafted Butler.

I'm all for trying a different combo on the OL.  It is clear that the current group wasn't working, so why not.  They now have two weeks to work together as a unit before their first game.

815521[/snapback]

Yep. Although I'd guess that GB might set and rush a DE a bit wider than usual to try to draw the inexperienced Peters out, and rush or blitz the gap. Dunno.

I'm all for trying a different combo on the OL.  It is clear that the current group wasn't working, so why not.  They now have two weeks to work together as a unit before their first game.

815521[/snapback]

Yep. This is the perfect time to try something like this. Let's see what we have in Pennington and in Peters at LT. The season is shot anyway, you might as well find out as much about your young players as you can. It's the same logic as keeping JP in as starter no matter what. We just gotta know as much as possible what we got to help with offseason decisions. Honestly, this move of switching up the OL has me excited as a fan again about the season. Imagine if Peters excels (very possible) at LT and Pennington can handle RT (unlikely, but possible).

This says it all from the buffalobills press release:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4310

The coaching staff is high on the rookie Pennington. Despite being a seventh-round pick the offensive staff likes his physical tools which includes 36-inch arms that can help a young pass protector in steering pass rushers around the pocket. Pennington has been the team's third tackle all season as it has been him and not fifth-round pick Brad Butler who has been active most Sundays.

815468[/snapback]

Haven't really seen TP in a live game situation - but I can say that at the couple practices at training camp I went to this year he impressed me with his mobility - he was very fluid moving around.

Change is good, however, this is a major change. I think moving Gandy to left guard and Peters to left tackle is a good move. But Pennington, a guy that hasn't played at all moving to the right tackle? Oh my, I wonder if we are going to max protect a lot of the time. If we continue to lose, I am still pulling for Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin to come in and play left tackle for us and move Peters to the right side again.

Yep.  This is the perfect time to try something like this.  Let's see what we have in Pennington and in Peters at LT.  The season is shot anyway, you might as well find out as much about your young players as you can.  It's the same logic as keeping JP in as starter no matter what.  We just gotta know as much as possible what we got to help with offseason decisions.  Honestly, this move of switching up the OL has me excited as a fan again about the season.  Imagine if Peters excels (very possible) at LT and Pennington can handle RT (unlikely, but possible).

815535[/snapback]

I completely agree. And what I like most about it...

1) It shows the coaches aren't happy with what they're seeing either and they're not afraid to do something about it.

2) It shows they realize that although JO hasn't been playing well, they understand that putting all the problems on one scapegoat isn't the solution and you can't just plug in a new QB and solve the offensive problems.

Now, hopefully they'll do something about that Cover-Who defense.

Change is good, however, this is a major change.  I think moving Gandy to left guard and Peters to left tackle is a good move.  But Pennington, a guy that hasn't played at all moving to the right tackle?  Oh my, I wonder if we are going to max protect a lot of the time.  If we continue to lose, I am still pulling for Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin to come in and play left tackle for us and move Peters to the right side again.

815548[/snapback]

Well, because of injuries, many teams have to shuffle the OL deck. Doing this with the extra reps afforded by a bye week is a nice luxury.

yeah i love the shakeup and i am only joking around now,but they get two weeks to practice this new o-line scheme and what has me worried is they will never really know if they are doing good because they will be practicing against our d-line lol lol....but i really do like the moves..go bills

Correction: This team has already turned into an utter disaster. The good news is that it looks like the coaches recognize this and are attempting to right the ship...

815573[/snapback]

Exactly. and right or wrong.... it's effort. And I applaud any effort to fix the mess. Mistakes are excusable, inaction is not.

Well, we can certainly get worse.  As bad as our line play has been, I still think its better than last year's.  However, does it matter if it gets worse?  In other words, what's the difference in finishing as we are and having a 5-6 win season; or making the changes (having it blow up) and getting worse and we have a 3-4 win season?

On the flip side, the moves could play out and give us less need to draft a LT and we could still finish with 5-6 wins. Definitely a plus in my book.

815495[/snapback]

The point you guys are missing is that this move is not necessarily because the line play has been that bad, it's to get a look at the kids and see how they play. This is a move for next year, to see what we have and what we need.

That has nothing to do with who is playing LT and everything to do with the fact that JP isn't listening to the crowd noise to know the hit is coming. ;)

815447[/snapback]

0:) I laughed out loud at that one. Bravo.