Buffalo Braves

I know this is off the subject of our beloved Bills but was just curious what people out there got to see Bob McAdoo, Randy Smith, and Ernie D play in their prime.

For some strange reason, I decided to look for Buffalo Braves information and I found a website (http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/buffalo/bufbraves.html)

with stats, pictures and other stuff on it. When I was growing up (7-8 years old) the Braves were my team and I only remember being able to see a couple of games on T.V. Randy Smith at one point had a consecutive games played streak and McAdoo was a BEAST. I also didn't realize that the Braves drafted Adrian Dantley out of Notre Dame. Anyway, kudos to any of you who were lucky enough to see the Braves in person and sure wish they still had a team in Buffalo. Does anyone even know why they left town to begin with?

Any good stories out there about a game you saw in person that really stood out?

Which one of you Bills fans were present at the last Braves game ever played in Buffalo?

I know this is off the subject of our beloved Bills but was just curious what people out there got to see Bob McAdoo, Randy Smith, and Ernie D play in their prime.

For some strange reason, I decided to look for Buffalo Braves information and I found a website (http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/buffalo/bufbraves.html)

with stats, pictures and other stuff on it.  When I was growing up (7-8 years old) the Braves were my team and I only remember being able to see a couple of games on T.V.  Randy Smith at one point had a consecutive games played streak and McAdoo was a BEAST.  I also didn't realize that the Braves drafted Adrian Dantley out of Notre Dame.  Anyway, kudos to any of you who were lucky enough to see the Braves in person and sure wish they still had a team in Buffalo.  Does anyone even know why they left town to begin with?

Any good stories out there about a game you saw in person that really stood out?

Which one of you Bills fans were present at the last Braves game ever played in Buffalo?

Thanks  :doh:

803353[/snapback]

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the Braves opening dau roster the year before they moved as such

Tiny Arcibald point

Randy Smith shooting guard

Macadoo small forward

Dantly Power

Moses malone center

Yes we had Moses Malone for all of two games I believe. John Y Brown had bought the team and wanted out of Buffalo, so he traded everyone that year, cept Tiny, who blew out his archilles first game of season.

Can you imagine if they had kept that team together. Might been one of the all time best.

Another blub bout that season

The Braves are purchased by John Y. Brown former owner of the Kentucky Colonels in the now defunct ABA for $6.2 million. As part of an agreement with former owner Paul Snyder, Brown would give Snyder money received in player deals to reduce the purchase price. The sell off would begin shortly after the season started as the Braves sold Moses Malone who they acquired in a trade with the Portland Trailblazers after the ABA dispersal draft to the Houston Rockets, it would continue into the season as Bob McAdoo is sold to the New York Knicks. While the deals helped Brown pay virtually nothing for the franchise it turned an up and coming franchise into garbage. Attendance would fall off severally as the Braves finished in 4th place with an awful 30-52 record. The only ray of hope would come as Adrian Dantley captured Rookie of the Year honors with 20.3 ppg. However Dantley himself would be traded following the season to the Indiana Pacer for Billy Knight.

THAT brings back memories....

I remember going to the Aud to see Braves/Celtics playoff games when I was young. Even after all of this time, it's still a shame that they moved that team out of here.

Gar Heard, Ernie D, Randy Smith, McAdoo, McMillen, Charles, Sven Nater (named his daugher Carmen Denoma...true....as in Common Denominater).

Moses Malone was a Brave for 1 game

Buffalo loved that team...

I saw the Braves beat up on the Knicks one night in the 1970s. The Braves were a great team with McAdoo, Smith, McMillian, Dantley, etc.

John Y. Brown should be roasting in the lowest circle of hell for what he did to that team and its fans.

Some more names...Jack Marin, Elmore Smith, Bob Kaufman (he and Cowens liked to shove one another around), Marvin "Bad News" Barnes - he took a tire iron to a college teammate -, Dick Garrett, Em Bryant (he of the head band), Walt Hazzard, who changed his name to something like Machdi Abdul Rahman and changed it back when he was looking for a coaching job, the forgettable Tom McMillan, John Hummer and John Gianelli (NY Knicks stiff that was obtained in the McAdoo trade), and head coaches Dolph Shayes and Jack Ramsey.

The NBA stiffed the 3 three expansion clubs (Braves, Cavs, and Portland), making them pick behind Detroit and some other team (I think). IIRC, Braves had the 1st pick among the expansion clubs, and would have gotten Bob Lanier, who went to the Pistons.

I saw the Braves beat up on the Knicks one night in the 1970s. The Braves were a great team with McAdoo, Smith, McMillian, Dantley, etc.

John Y. Brown should be roasting in the lowest circle of hell for what he did to that team and its fans.

803378[/snapback]

But let me ask you this.... say you had a chance to buy a pro franchise for 10 million, selling players to pay off the 10 million(effectively giving you the franchise for free), then trading that franchise for the most storied franchise in the sport...you wouldn't do that?

I mean I read that blurb from the website and said Holy Cow, John Y got the Celtics for NOTHING. Dam, you gotta give the guy credit for that. Granted the NBA was a trash league back then, remember the finals were shown on tape delay

God I loved the Braves. Going to the games with my Dad and my brother (sometimes even w/ my sisters and my Mom!) and sitting up in the Orange - and actually getting to go to a lot of games because they were cheap! We used to go down and watch warm-ups and watch them come out of the dressing room (and especially when we brought a friend) even get some autographs. Sometimes players from the visiting teams would just be hanging/sitting around before warmups and you could just walk up to them. One time me and a friend even had a conversation w/ Paul Snyder. Two little 10-11 year old kids just standing in the hallway having a conversation with the owner asking him how the team looked that year...

I played once at haltime of a Braves game - that is quite a thrill for a 12 year old. Randy Smith was always *the man* for me and my friends. I remember the Boy's Club and elementary (and probably high school come to think of it) teams I played on we used to call "suicides" or "lines" sprints "Randy's" - it wasn't until after I moved out of WNY that it really dawned on me no one else called them that :doh: Even now when I coach youth basketball I have to catch myself sometimes from calling them that when we run them in practice.

A number of years ago I was going through me and my brother's football card collection - and realized we had a bunch of Braves cards too - full team sets for a number of years. I still have my original Braves pennant hanging in my closet at home.

God I loved the Braves.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the Braves opening dau roster the year before they moved as such

Tiny Arcibald    point

Randy Smith    shooting guard

Macadoo          small forward

Dantly              Power

Moses malone    center

Yes we had Moses Malone for all of two games I believe. John Y Brown had bought the team and wanted out of Buffalo, so he traded everyone that year, cept Tiny, who blew out his archilles first game of season.

Can you imagine if they had kept that team together. Might been one of the all time best.

Another blub bout that season

The Braves are purchased by John Y. Brown former owner of the Kentucky Colonels in the now defunct ABA for $6.2 million. As part of an agreement with former owner Paul Snyder, Brown would give Snyder money received in player deals to reduce the purchase price. The sell off would begin shortly after the season started as the Braves sold Moses Malone who they acquired in a trade with the Portland Trailblazers after the ABA dispersal draft to the Houston Rockets, it would continue into the season as Bob McAdoo is sold to the New York Knicks. While the deals helped Brown pay virtually nothing for the franchise it turned an up and coming franchise into garbage. Attendance would fall off severally as the Braves finished in 4th place with an awful 30-52 record. The only ray of hope would come as Adrian Dantley captured Rookie of the Year honors with 20.3 ppg. However Dantley himself would be traded following the season to the Indiana Pacer for Billy Knight.

803356[/snapback]

For those of you too young to remember what Brown did to the Braves and Buffalo, just think of the movie Major League. The skank owner of the Cleveland Indians tried to do just what Brown did. he sold off all the good players for cash, kept the money, turned the team into a joke and then moved it when atendence fell off.

Randy Smith drives to the basket , goes up for easy layup, is soundly rejected, ball is picked up near center court, Randy Smith is standing on baseline and starts running down court, as Abdul Jabber starts into his finally move for the easy two, all alone at the hoop, the ball is suddenly stolen back and headed the other and Randy Smith pulls up for the short jumper and swish's for two............witnessed it with my own eyes ....unreal!!!!......Randy Smith WAS THE MAN!!!!!

I remember going to the games with my Dad. Those Braves/Celtics playoff games were really exciting.

I remember when I was a kid, the Bills, Sabres, and Braves were all in first place at one time during one season (I forget which year).

As I recall, the Braves were popular, but never really as popular as the Bills and Sabres. I will never forget the way I felt when the Braves traded Bob McAdoo to the Knicks for essentially cash.

When I was at Cornell, I remember that Snyder gave a speech in which he bragged about receiving more in cash for McAdoo than he had paid for the franchise.

McAdoo is now an assistant coach for the Heat. I ran into him down here at a Costco. I talked to him about the Braves and he was very gracious.

I never even realized we had Moses Malone, even if it was for one game.

I also never knew that we had one of the best basketball coaches of all time in Jack Ramsey. Len Elmore was a guest speaker at our Sports Banquet in high school and the reason why I never forgot that was because one of my teammates on the Varsity Basketball team forgot his shoes so he wore hi top flouresent basketball sneakers with his suit and he actually got an award for Most Improved Player.

You never saw anyone run up to receive an award so fast and then return to his seat even faster........it was hilarious.

It was great meeting Len Elmore that night. He was really cool and pure class.

Little did I know he had played for my favorite team when I was so young.

I would have loved to ask him McAdoo and Smith stories..........not to mention what his first impressions of the young kid Moses Malone were when he first came to the team.

Some more names...Jack Marin, Elmore Smith, Bob Kaufman (he and Cowens liked to shove one another around), Marvin "Bad News" Barnes - he took a tire iron to a college teammate -, Dick Garrett, Em Bryant (he of the head band), Walt Hazzard, who changed his name to something like Machdi Abdul Rahman and changed it back when he was looking for a coaching job, the forgettable Tom McMillan, John Hummer and John Gianelli (NY Knicks stiff that was obtained in the McAdoo trade), and head coaches Dolph Shayes and Jack Ramsey.

The NBA stiffed the 3 three expansion clubs (Braves, Cavs, and Portland), making them pick behind Detroit and some other team (I think).  IIRC, Braves had the 1st pick among the expansion clubs, and would have gotten Bob Lanier, who went to the Pistons.

803382[/snapback]

We had Malone for two games, which he played four minutes in each game. And then John Y. Brown sold him, I think straight up for one million dollars. He wasn't yet the obvious star, I think he had just been in the ABA up until then and just a couple years out of high school.

803441[/snapback]

Kelly, if ancient memory serves, it was quite a bit less than that. Not sure...

Kelly, if ancient memory serves, it was quite a bit less than that. Not sure...

803449[/snapback]

All I can find on it is that they got him for a first round pick from Portland, he played the two games of a couple minutes, and then they traded him for two first round picks. I know there was some cash also in the deal, which I thought was one million, but perhaps not. Because the deal that John Y made with Paul Snyder was that Brown could pocket any cash he got from selling players. He sold (very good player) Jim MacMillan and got cash, he sold McAdoo for John Gianelli and cash.

All I can find on it is that they got him for a first round pick from Portland, he played the two games of a couple minutes, and then they traded him for two first round picks. I know there was some cash also in the deal, which I thought was one million, but perhaps not. Because the deal that John Y made with Paul Snyder was that Brown could pocket any cash he got from selling players. He sold (very good player) Jim MacMillan and got cash, he sold McAdoo for John Gianelli and cash.

803459[/snapback]

This may well be urban legend, but the story goes that the Braves' Aud announcer (for some reason, WKBW's Danny Nevareth comes to mind) got canned for saying "That's two for McGianelli". :doh:

Letting Dantley go, and then picking up Billy Knight was dumb IMO. Knight was a fair player, but AD had that nice inside game...

I saw a lot of Braves games during the 1971-2 season and a handfull thereafter. The last Braves game I saw was in 1978 when the Braves played Portland sometime around February.

The Braves also had their camp at Fredonia 2 of the 4 years I was in college & we saw them come into the gym & their practices. I remember Dave Wohl sucking up to Ramsey & trying to hang with Ernie D. Freddie Hilton was the odd man out, he was not a Ramsey favorite. A friend and I asked Freddie if he was going to make it (the year he got cut) and Freddie just gave us an I don't know answer even though it was bleak.