Any info on Youbouty: Is he ready to

ganesh

Is he ready to play?

I hope it's soon because after seeing Kiwaukee Thomas' difficulties on Sunday, I hope he goes back to the sidelines as soon as possible.

C'mon Ashton, get you booty out there.....

I hope it's soon because after seeing Kiwaukee Thomas' difficulties on Sunday, I hope he goes back to the sidelines as soon as possible.

C'mon Ashton, get you booty out there.....

780109[/snapback]

didn't Kiwaukee get praise for his play on Sunday?

the coaches put him in over Jabari Greer.

didn't Kiwaukee get praise for his play on Sunday?

780154[/snapback]

I don't know from who.

His poor positioning and lack of awareness resulted in at least two key conversions for the phish. He also fell down once when he was supposed to be pressing at the LOS and if Culpepper had any field vision whatsoever it would have been a big play and possibly a phish TD.

I don't know from who.

His poor positioning and lack of awareness resulted in at least two key conversions for the phish. He also fell down once when he was supposed to be pressing at the LOS and if Culpepper had any field vision whatsoever it would have been a big play and possibly a phish TD.

Would the Bills be better served with Greer being the nickel again?

780177[/snapback]

thats the only thing that confused me. thomas must have showed something to the coaches (be it in practice last week or whatever) so even if youboty came into the lineup its hard to think he would be put into the nickel that quickly. you'd think he'd even be behind greer as well. right??

780177[/snapback]

I would think so but I'm not sure how they're using their personell. Jabari was the first corner off the bench when McGee got nicked. And I also think they might have been using Greer as a dimeback.

But they seem to be running quite a variey of personell groupings in their defensive backfield so it's pretty hard to tell exactly what's going in with just one tape of a network broadcast. I just didn't think Kiwaukee looked like he belonged at all.

Cya

This was an article from Chris Brown on Thomas after the game

Chris Brown on thomas

780198[/snapback]

Some interesting fodder in there:

Taking over the nickel corner role in Week Two was Kiwaukee Thomas who finished with five tackles on defense including a pair of third down stops that forced punts.

That might hint at some biased journalism as both of those punt-forcing stops came on 3rd and very longs where Culpepper checked down and dumped it underneath and Thomas happened to be the first one in the area.

In Week One Jabari Greer was coming on the field in nickel situations, but he would line up outside while McGee moved into the slot. Staying outside in nickel calls proved to be an adjustment for McGee.

"It was kind of hard because on plays when he came in I'm used to going into the slot, but I was staying outside and I hadn't done that much in the preseason,"

This is very interesting as it sort of points to a key play vs. NE. On the Patrick Pass TD (it was PPass right?) the Bills were very confused when NE split Pass out of the backfield. McGee intially went out to pick him up while the 'backer (Haggan?) walked down into the slot position; but then after some gesturing and shouting McGee and Haggan switched places with Terrence coming inside and Haggan kicking outside. Either way it was a mismatch for the 'backer and Brady picked the right route for the TD. Mkaes me wonder if those guys weren't prepared for the look and mixed up their responsibilities.

Even better is the fact that the Jets don't know which nickel package they'll see, the one with Greer outside or the one with Thomas inside.

A good point and may serve the purpose of protecting the Bills nickelback from being targeted. At least in the early part of the game.

I don't know from who.

780162[/snapback]

I'm glad we sumped Eric King for a douche like Thomas.

The TD was to Faulk.

And I hope Youboty can get in there quickly, but I think that he'll be saved for next year.

780214[/snapback]

I'm not sure exactly which TD Simon is describing as he sites PPass as the recipient and Faulk and Troy Brown got the two NE TDs. The thought that he meant Faulk is logical since Pass and Faulk are both backfield players. However, I know for sure that Haggan was the closest Bill to Brown for the first TD pass andI had thought that by the late in the 3rd quarter when Faulk got his TD that Haggan had long gone to the bench as the Bills switched to an LB line-up of F-B, Crowell, and Ellison when TKO went out and Haggan likely got the blame for a miscue on the Brown TD.

Perhaps if he can clarify which TD (first half or second half he is talking aout we can be clear about it.

As far as Thomas goes, the move to him is not surprising to me as Greer has shown a lot more in pre-season games than as a regular season player and I think Fewell knows him from coaching him last year.

Since Simon has demonstrated he is a seasoned football watcher, his comments interest me enough to look again at the game tape and see if i can see what he saw. Even assuming that he was out of position, my guess is that the coaches will not indict him heavily for these faux pas, as the D only gave up 1 TD late to the poor play of Culpepper.

Its good that Simon limks these positioning errors he detects to specific plays (and key ones at that as stopping 3rd downs is what your nickel back is there for) since in the past he offered the same indictments of Posey, but in 2003 and 2004 he could never link these errors to giving up big gains or TDs. The addition of specific poor plays is quote helpful.

I think in the end, the coaches are human and if they judge all things being equal between players, they will dance with the guy they know. Greer has never been so productive in regular season play that merely finding fault with Thomas's play does not meand that he is gonna be benched unless there is also some demonstration of good play by Greer.

This is particularly true when there is no evidence of TDs or big plays being associated with the alleged breakdowns. it will be interesting to look at the TDs and try to examine the DB play and find out whether Thomas is demonstrably worse than Greer and Fewell is making a mistake or whether Simon's judgments in this case are another DB assessment like that of his like of Raion Hills game which was never borne out with consistent game results until an injury finely took him out of football.

Thomas looked awful on that one pass to Ronnie Brown, he got juked out of his jockey shorts and Brown picked up a first he had no business getting.

780218[/snapback]

Yep, I rememebr that play..he looked lost out there, and we were yelling "WTF"???

Perhaps if he can clarify which TD (first half or second half he is talking aout we can be clear about it.

It was the TD where NE split Faulk out of the backfield and went empty in order to get him matched up on a LB, which they did and he beat the LB to the back right corner and made a diving TD catch. I don't remember which 'backer Faulk beat as there was a bit of a revolving door going on over there after Takeo went down and I think they eventually tried Haggan, Ellison and Crowell over there. Regardless of the names, you can see the presnap confusion on the Bills D (when the formation didn't match the personell package shown by the Pats) that McGee sort of alluded to in that article.

assuming that he was out of position, my guess is that the coaches will not indict him heavily for these faux pas, as the D only gave up 1 TD late to the poor play of Culpepper.

Again, the overall performance of the defense is a very poor way to assess the play of a single player, particularly one who doesn't even play in the base defense. He wasn't necessarily "out" of position but he didn't do himself any favors with his positioning, and when he was slow to diagnose the play he was unable to cover the ground to get himself "into" good position to make the play that he ultimately failed to make which ended up resulting in two key conversions for the struggling phishes.

in the past he offered the same indictments of Posey, but in 2003 and 2004 he could never link these errors to giving up big gains or TDs.

Poor play doesn't necessarily have to result in a big gain or a TD since you've got 10 other brothers on the field who can save your bacon. ANd I had no tape with which to cite examples but said that you could pick any game you wanted (aside from vs Houston) and key on Posey to see him regularly getting beat up by opponents. The fact that the new staff cut him after watching the film may well be indictment enough.

or whether Simon's judgments in this case are another DB assessment like that of his like of Raion Hills game which was never borne out with consistent game results until an injury finely took him out of football.

I just said I liked the guy because he was a missile. This was borne out in some of his early games like vs NO and Ind when he removed both Joe Horn and Marvin Harrison from the game early. As the season progressed we saw him show a tendency toward taking some bad angles which negated his fearsome tackling to some degree. What was also borne out was my prediction (which was widely ridiculed at the time) that he would be a Bill longer than the wildly overrated Keion Carpenter, which ultimately he was. 'Ol Raion was never a super athlete and likely wouldn't have spent any time in Hawaii but he was a tough fearless player whose complete dedication earned him an NFL job until he hurt his neck trying to bust Ladainian Thomlinson; which to this day is still the only time I've seen anybody actually hurt LT.

Cya