DJ on Roscoe

Peter

Given that Terrence McGee has been mentioned, he turned out to be a steal in the fifth round.  He is one of the most important players on this team right now.

778552[/snapback]

MaGee was a 4th, and he is also a starting corner. Yes, he WAS a steal, because he is a good corner who continues to improve.

Roscoe was a 2nd, and a situational player. I guess if a championship caliber team such as the Bengals perhaps, wanted to reach for this type of player, it could almost be justified. Even then, I would be skeptical with using a first pick of a draft as such.

Despite the above, you guys who said that we DO have him and should use him are quite correct. I hope that he lasts long enough to be an asset to the team.

MaGee was a 4th, and he is also a starting corner. Yes, he WAS a steal, because he is a good corner who continues to improve.

Roscoe was a 2nd, and a situational player. I guess if a championship caliber team such as the Bengals perhaps, wanted to reach for this type of player, it could almost be justified. Even then, I would be skeptical with using a first pick of a draft as such.

Despite the above, you guys who said that we DO have him and should use him are quite correct. I hope that he lasts long enough to be an asset to the team.

778569[/snapback]

My bad on the round. McGee was still a steal in the fourth round.

As for Roscoe, I think that he is going to do a lot of great things for this team.

As for Roscoe, I think that he is going to do a lot of great things for this team.

778606[/snapback]

I do too....I think over the next few weeks he's going to have a play that will be among the best highlights of the year. He'll just bust off a punt return or make some amazing catch that just makes people sit there in awe. It will happen dammit.

One of the most important factors and elements of a game is third down efficiency, and this is one place that Roscoe can excel in. He can also mess with the defense enough to open up passing areas for other players. Good punt returns can add 20-30 yards to your team's game. It's the equivalent to adding 20-30 yards to your running back's yardage, and that is a substantial difference between 40-70 or 70-100 or 100-130. If he reaches his full potential, he's surely worth a second round pick.

I just don't agree with Scott that second round picks have to be starters and big full time players. That's the equiavlent of saying that sixth or seventh rounders have to be back-ups. It doesn't work that way. There are tons of first and second round busts and tons of 6th and 7th round gems, and most all teams have a few of both. I think a guy like Roscoe can be very valuable.

I just don't agree with Scott that second round picks have to be starters and big full time players.  That's the equiavlent of saying that sixth or seventh rounders have to be back-ups. It doesn't work that way. There are tons of first and second round busts and tons of 6th and 7th round gems, and most all teams have a few of both. I think a guy like Roscoe can be very valuable.

778732[/snapback]

No, 1st and 2nd rounders should have the POTENTIAL to be those players. You don't draft players that high with apriori knowledge that they will never be anything more than a #3 receiver and a return man.

Where do you draw the line in your post? Kickers? Punters? ST gunners? Fullbacks? Nickel CBs? They are all important to a good team. A great punter certainly gets you field position. A great FB certainly adds yards to the running game.

At what point do you say to yourself, "This is stupid, our 1st day picks should be on guys that play 40-50 plays a game and not 15."? What team is so stocked, that they don't need potential top talent at OL, DT, DE, LB, CB, RB, WR etc...?

No, 1st and 2nd rounders should have the POTENTIAL to be those players. You don't draft players that high with apriori knowledge that they will never be anything more than a #3 receiver and a return man.

Where do you draw the line in your post?  Kickers? Punters? ST gunners? Fullbacks? Nickel CBs?  They are all important to a good team.  A great punter certainly gets you field position.  A great FB certainly adds yards to the running game.

At what point do you say to yourself, "This is stupid, our 1st day picks should be on guys that play 40-50 plays a game and not 15."?  What team is so stocked, that they don't need potential top talent at OL, DT, DE, LB, CB, RB, WR etc...?

778842[/snapback]

I think Moorman is worth a second round draft pick. Think of every 2nd round pick in Bills history. He's likely better and more valuable than 90% of them.

For a young guy, you're pretty set in your ways.  :blush:

If you can get Dante Hall (ie Roscoe) for a 2nd round pick, it's a pretty good value.

FWIW I would have prefered a different position at the time too, but have since changed my thoughts on that.

778405[/snapback]

I knew Dante Hall, Dante Hall was a good friend of mine, and Roscoe Parrish is no Dante Hall..... *yet*

If Roscoe Parrish is a Top 3 punt returner for this year and next year, the pick will be worth it in my book. He isn't quite there yet - but you could certainly see the potential this week.

JDG

Where do you draw the line in your post?  Kickers? Punters? ST gunners? Fullbacks? Nickel CBs?  They are all important to a good team.  A great punter certainly gets you field position.  A great FB certainly adds yards to the running game.

At what point do you say to yourself, "This is stupid, our 1st day picks should be on guys that play 40-50 plays a game and not 15."?  What team is so stocked, that they don't need potential top talent at OL, DT, DE, LB, CB, RB, WR etc...?

778842[/snapback]

So, is a 2nd Rounder that turns into a valuable contributor a better or worse pick than a 2nd Rounder who had the potential to be an every-day starter, but never panned out? Say, for example, a Darius Watts?

JDG

778842[/snapback]

The reality is that a lot of teams have disagreed with your assessment over the years. Kickers & punters have been taken in round 1 etc. If a players perceived ability is so much greater than the norm at a traditional lesser impact position, then his selection higher in the draft is generally considered acceptable. I think Ray Guy is an example of the concept being acceptable.

You obviously disagree with the concept of EVER doing this. That's all well & good but empatically stating it over & over does not mean that people of the oposite opinion are wrong....and honestly, the existance of a Ray Guy should give you pause to reconsider your stance.

RAY GUY

Is RP one of those rare guys???

If he ends up getting 3 PR TDs a season for the next 6 years you'd have to say yes....We'll have to wait & see.

It's all relative...given our history of 2nd round picks, I'm liking the Roscoe selection :blush:

778532[/snapback]

Just to play devil's advocate here.....

1997 Marcellus Wiley - pro bowler

1998 Sam Cowart - pro bowler

1999 Peerless Price - 2a WR & netted a 1st round pick from trade

2000 Travares Tillman - Starting at Mia

2001 Aaron Schobel - future pro bowler

2001 Travis Henry - pro bowler

2002 Josh Reed - 2b WR

2002 Ryan Denney - 3 sacks this week

Our history of 2nd round picks is pretty good really.

I dont understand why no one thinks this guy can be a big time reciever. Size is not that much of an issue( Steve Smith?, Santana Moss?) he seems to know how to not take the big hit.

Dante Hall has been a great return man but not much of a reciever. I think roscoe has much more potential at that position.

How about his returns? Never gets tackled by the first guy. I don't think there is any question that he will break one this year. Maybe he will win a game with one and I can break out the crow I have been preparing for everyone since we drafted roscoe. :blush:

Just to play devil's advocate here.....

1997 Marcellus Wiley - pro bowler

1998 Sam Cowart - pro bowler

1999 Peerless Price - 2a WR & netted a 1st round pick from trade

2000 Travares Tillman - Starting at Mia

2001 Aaron Schobel - future pro bowler

2001 Travis Henry - pro bowler

2002 Josh Reed - 2b WR

2002 Ryan Denney - 3 sacks this week

Our history of 2nd round picks is pretty good really.

778913[/snapback]

After reviewing all of the Bills 2nd round picks in the last 25 years, I was wrong about 90%. But I would still have Moorman ahead of about 50%. And Roscoe, too. The Bills had some great second round picks though. Like Talley and Hansen and Thurman and Cowart. But just as many Roland Mitchell and Dave Traynowitz and Lonnie Johnson and Todd Collins and Gabe Northern and James Patton.

I dont understand why no one thinks this guy can be a big time reciever.  Size is not that much of an issue( Steve Smith?, Santana Moss?) he seems to know how to not take the big hit.

Dante Hall has been a great return man but not much of a reciever.  I think roscoe has much more potential at that position.

How about his returns?  Never gets tackled by the first guy.  I don't think there is any question that he will break one this year.  Maybe he will win a game with one and I can break out the crow I have been preparing for everyone since we drafted roscoe. :blush:

778921[/snapback]

I think it's more to do with his bulk.

Parrish 5-9 168lbs

Smith 5-9 185lbs

Moss 5-10 190lbs

Parrish is VERY lithe for a WR.

I'm not saying he can't do it.....just showing the stats.

After reviewing all of the Bills 2nd round picks in the last 25 years, I was wrong about 90%. But I would still have Moorman ahead of about 50%. And Roscoe, too. The Bills had some great second round picks though. Like Talley and Hansen and Thurman and Cowart. But just as many Roland Mitchell and Dave Traynowitz and Lonnie Johnson and Todd Collins and Gabe Northern and James Patton.

778926[/snapback]

I pretty much agree. What a lot of people forget is that until proven....at least 50% of 1st & 2nd round picks are total BUSTS. Therefore a proven player(one who isn't a bust) has more value that a draft pick ever could.

I think it's more to do with his bulk.

Parrish 5-9 168lbs

Smith 5-9 185lbs

Moss 5-10 190lbs

Parrish is VERY lithe for a WR.

I'm not saying he can't do it.....just showing the stats.

778932[/snapback]

Its definatly a concern but from what I've seen If he can stay heathly, and thats the big question, his size is actually an advatage. He is so shifty and agile, he can stop on a dime and change direction faster than anyone. This could be mainy because he is so much smaller than them.