DJ on Roscoe

Peter

I remember when some of you guys were bitching and moaning last year that Roscoe was a wasted pick and we should have picked, of all people, Chris Henry.

DJ Press Conference 9-18-06

778385[/snapback]

Roscoe Parrish is the most agile player in the league. His work on punt returns yesterday was phenominal and i think he is a gem that could end up being very beneficial for this team. A little small of a gem, but sometimes those are the best ones.

I remember when some of you guys were bitching and moaning last year that Roscoe was a wasted pick and we should have picked, of all people, Chris Henry.

DJ Press Conference 9-18-06

778385[/snapback]

Oh please. Did you expect DJ to get up and say something bad about him? The pick is as asinine today as it was yesterday. Grabbing undersized slot receivers/kick returners with a 2nd round pick should get you...

tar and feathered! :doh:

Oh please. Did you expect DJ to get up and say something bad about him?  The pick is as asinine today as it was yesterday.  Grabbing undersized slot receivers/kick returners with a 2nd round pick should get you...

tar and feathered!  :doh:

778398[/snapback]

The great Oz has spoken.

Did you watch the game yesterday? Have you seen what he can do if given a chance?

Oh please. Did you expect DJ to get up and say something bad about him?  The pick is as asinine today as it was yesterday.  Grabbing undersized slot receivers/kick returners with a 2nd round pick should get you...

tar and feathered!  :doh:

778398[/snapback]

For a young guy, you're pretty set in your ways. :lol:

If you can get Dante Hall (ie Roscoe) for a 2nd round pick, it's a pretty good value.

FWIW I would have prefered a different position at the time too, but have since changed my thoughts on that.

For a young guy, you're pretty set in your ways.  :doh:

If you can get Dante Hall (ie Roscoe) for a 2nd round pick, it's a pretty good value.

FWIW I would have prefered a different position at the time too, but have since changed my thoughts on that.

778405[/snapback]

Well put old feelow.

The great Oz has spoken.

Did you watch the game yesterday?  Have you seen what he can do if given a chance?

778401[/snapback]

If that is your opinion then you are entitled to it, but I cannot find a reasonable justification to EVER make a selection like that. The 2nd round is where you draft FULL-SIZED STARTERS. Players who play full time and have the possibility of becoming the anchors of your team.

RP will NEVER be an anchor on this team. If he reaches his HIGHEST potential - he is at best a 2nd receiver. I can't imagine a team that is so stocked for the present and future that kick returner is on the top of their need list for the 2nd round.

McGee is pretty special too, but we didn't spend a 2nd rounder on him.

778405[/snapback]

he's no dante "yet".........and I said yet

now terrence mcgee on the other hand .......is seriously dangerous with the ball

Roscoe has the speed......he just needs to learn to follow the blocks a lil more.....but u gotta love our return game ......and wrs

778405[/snapback]

In 6 years Dante Hall has scored 10 TD's and has caught 125 passes. He has been an exceptional returner during that time. Great value for a 5th ROUND PICK.

778405[/snapback]

Sorry, gotta take Scott's back here. Parrish is still one hell of a long way from Dante Hall, and imo that isn't even the point.

The Bills had glaring weaknesses and had traded away their first round pick. Instead of bolstering their lines, or perhaps even their LBs, TD, in his utter arrogance, opted for perhaps the smallest player in the NFL with our first draft selection. It was dumb then, and it is dumb now.

This is not, nor will it ever be a good way to build a football team.

donte hall isn't the best comparison, because he was never really envisioned as anything more than a returner if memory serves. this former second rounder (also from the U) is a better example:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/WillKe00.htm

was he a bad pick at #2? it's hard to say given all the WR busts. williams was a moderately productive 3rd receiver who couldn't hack being a #2, performed pretty well in the postseason, and was an excellent returner.

Sorry, gotta take Scott's back here. Parrish is still one hell of a long way from Dante Hall, and imo that isn't even the point.

The Bills had glaring weaknesses and had traded away their first round pick. Instead of bolstering their lines, or perhaps even their LBs, TD, in his utter arrogance, opted for perhaps the smallest player in the NFL with our first draft selection. It was dumb then, and it is dumb now.

778476[/snapback]

On the other hand, if you have a weapon, you might as well use it. I think we should have used the second round pick we used for RP to pick a coach that knew how to coach. Since we couldn't and didn't, let's let the little feller show us what he can do. It was nice to see some moves yesterday.

Since we couldn't and didn't, let's let the little feller show us what he can do.  It was nice to see some moves yesterday.

778489[/snapback]

absolutely. We have him now, so let's get as much production out of him as we can. There is no reason to turn a dumb pick into a wasted one.

I'm not going to defend Roscoe as a 2nd round pick, but I felt a WHOLE lot better about him when I saw him take a solid lick from Z.Thomas yesterday, keep his feet, and gain positive yardage. Roscoe isn't E.Moulds with regard to body structure, but I don't think he's as much of a feather as people think.

Now if we can just get him over his "snow-phobia" :doh:

778476[/snapback]

I agreed with that at the time of the draft last season. And hey maybe there was a guy there we could have taken and developed for a couple seasons, like Crowell for example. Who knows?

Many of these philosophies held by many of you guys that I respect on the board held very true back when the draft was vastly the only way to obtain talent, and Player contracts allowed them to remain on a team for years, even as developing backups, and free agents were mainly just guys off the street, and there were far fewer "specialized" positions (Like RP's role) that factored so much into the game.

What guys like Randel EL and Hall did for the Steelers and Chiefs cannot be downplayed any longer.

And Yes SDS , Dante was a steal as a 5th rounder for sure, and RP has not reached that level, but I don't see any one in the league who's closer to it.

If that is your opinion then you are entitled to it, but I cannot find a reasonable justification to EVER make a selection like that.  The 2nd round is where you draft FULL-SIZED STARTERS.  Players who play full time and have the possibility of becoming the anchors of your team.

778418[/snapback]

It's all relative...given our history of 2nd round picks, I'm liking the Roscoe selection :doh:

Over the past year, a lot of people have been overly critical of Roscoe (I take it because he was picked in the second round). Roscoe did not make the pick. That is why I always wondered why some people seemed to have a crusade against him personally.

Roscoe is turning out to be a very exciting weapon for this team -- just as he was at UM. We can debate whether he should have been taken in the second round (I presume that the debate over whether we should have taken Chris Henry instead is over). Our view of where he should have been taken probably will change over time. Given that Terrence McGee has been mentioned, he turned out to be a steal in the fifth round. He is one of the most important players on this team right now.

The fact is that Roscoe is on our team. We may as well appreciate his talents. As DJ said, he is a special player. He is the kind of player who can change a game with one play. I also am one of those people who believes that average drive starts in a game is a very important indicator of who is going to win. Just as BM pinned the Dolphins down in their end, Roscoe gave our offense a boost with his returns. Further, that TD that was called back was a thing of beauty. When we go three or more wide and need a first down or a TD, Roscoe is going to be very difficult to cover. I just hope that our offensive line can give JP enough time so that we can take advantage of the speed we have at the wide receiver position.

I can't believe the "size" thing is still going strong as of today.Deion Branch and Santana Moss are not huge recievers by any stretch..don't hear much complaining 'bout them. (i know they are bigger than RP and they have proven more)

It happened with Whitner to an extent also..Had he been 6' 1" 215 i doubt you would have heard much griping at all. Its sad really.