Losman's Mobility

smuvtalker

A great win yesterday against our most hated division rival. But there is one thing that has me just a bit concerned, and that is the lack of JP's use of his wheels. I remember reading in training camps and pre-season that the coaches were MAKING him stand in the pocket and avoid the pass rush. In the 4 preseason games plus the 2 regular season games, I believe I have seen JP take off with the ball only once or maybe twice.

One of his obvious strengths coming out of college was his mobility and his ability to make plays happen with his feet. While I do think that many times last year he did have a case of happy feet, I also believe that he was able to make several nice plays by taking off with the football when things broke down. I hope that the coaching staff isn't crippling JP so to speak by taking away his option to run, or even throwing in a few plays here in there designed to get him out in the open field.

I think he is leaps and bounds beyond where he was last year, and I am very pleased with the job our coaching staff has done with JP and the rest of this team, I just think if we want to get Losman playing to his full potential, shouldn't we let him take off with it at least once or twice a game??

GO BILLS!!!

You have to learn to walk before you can run -- quite literally. JP may well be capable of making plays happen with his feet, just as he may be capable of throwing for 300 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs. But Fairchild and Jauron are bringing him along slowly -- they clearly want him to become comfortable and confident running the offense before they ask him to be a playmaker. And so far, the strategy has borne fruit, with no turnovers in two games on the road against tough division opponents.

I'm certain that we'll see them use JP's mobility more in the future, but for now, it's good to see him becoming a confident leader of the offense. The other stuff will come with time.

They used a few more roll-outs and bootlegs this week than they did last week and had both some good and some bad. On the occasions they played into teh defense Losman usually got rid of the ball with no harm done, but he did walk into a corner blitz once.

The TD to Reed was play-action bootleg.

It's probably more overcompensation then anything else. You see it a lot with mobile QB's. Coaches try and keep these guys in the pocket to keep the structure of the play. Also remember while the yards might not be piling up on the ground, he's also probably hung in for a few throws he wouldn't have last year.

A great win yesterday against our most hated division rival.  But there is one thing that has me just a bit concerned, and that is the lack of JP's use of his wheels.  I remember reading in training camps and pre-season that the coaches were MAKING him stand in the pocket and avoid the pass rush.  In the 4 preseason games plus the 2 regular season games, I believe I have seen JP take off with the ball only once or maybe twice. 

One of his obvious strengths coming out of college was his mobility and his ability to make plays happen with his feet.  While I do think that many times last year he did have a case of happy feet, I also believe that he was able to make several nice plays by taking off with the football when things broke down.  I hope that the coaching staff isn't crippling JP so to speak by taking away his option to run, or even throwing in a few plays here in there designed to get him out in the open field. 

I think he is leaps and bounds beyond where he was last year, and I am very pleased with the job our coaching staff has done with JP and the rest of this team, I just think if we want to get Losman playing to his full potential, shouldn't we let him take off with it at least once or twice a game??

GO BILLS!!!

778011[/snapback]

Definitly, that is something I realized too. On 3 down I would love to see a qb draw or play action rollouts.

You have to learn to walk before you can run -- quite literally.  JP may well be capable of making plays happen with his feet, just as he may be capable of throwing for 300 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs.  But Fairchild and Jauron are bringing him along slowly -- they clearly want him to become comfortable and confident running the offense before they ask him to be a playmaker.  And so far, the strategy has borne fruit, with no turnovers in two games on the road against tough division opponents.

I'm certain that we'll see them use JP's mobility more in the future, but for now, it's good to see him becoming a confident leader of the offense.  The other stuff will come with time.

778040[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more!

I couldn't agree more!

779549[/snapback]

I agree. I would like to see JP use his wheels a little more. a few designed bootlegs, qb draws or options. I dont want him runing when he should be chucking. Just a few plays for him to run. It would keep the D honest. Look at the rushing yards the birds are putting up.