Do we sit Willis?

Willis dances too much. Had he dove straight ahead on that 4th and 1 we'd be talking about a Bills win today. The failure on that play was not the OL's, it was Willis'.

769193[/snapback]

Because he didnt get a first down we should sit him. Are you serious with this sh--. Its the first game of the year. We lost, not because of the first down that we didnt make, but we got beat by a better team on Sunday. Next time we meet it will be a different story.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he dances, which is what he is built for. Remember last year when he stopped dancing after he was called out by the NFL's worst coach? How did that work out for us?

769207[/snapback]

Its all about the situation. Priest Holmes was one of the best short-yardage backs I have ever seen. When he would get in this situation, he would just take the handoff and run full speed at the line, and get the short distance by sheer force of will.

I don't have a problem with using your elusiveness in certain situations, but on 4th and 1, when everyone in the stadium is expecting a run up the middle, you absolutely have to run with more authority. We only need a half a yard. Willis should be able to get that on power alone.

JDG

Because he didnt get a first down we should sit him. Are you serious with this sh--. Its the first game of the year. We lost, not because of the first down that we didnt make, but we got beat by a better team on Sunday. Next time we meet it will be a different story.

769336[/snapback]

Maybe so. But he WAS indeed tentative in the second half. Thomas ran with much more authority while he was in the game. Same line. Same QB. COMPLETELY different results.

Willis isn't as good as he thinks he is.

769336[/snapback]

Totally agree. You put your best 11 on the field.

Tom Brady had a schitty game yesterday, do you think the Pats should sit him next week?

769359[/snapback]

Tom Brady made plays when he was called on it to. Willis didn't.

All he had to do was take the ball, run forward and fall forward. Instead, he stutter-stepped, ran SIDEWAYS and THEN jumped forward.

Football isn't rocket science. Despite that, Willis seems to have a problem grasping it's "complexities".

Tom Brady had a schitty game yesterday, do you think the Pats should sit him next week?

769359[/snapback]

Yes. Yes I do. ;)

VERY good point Real. You people need to relax. Willis far and away the #1 back on the team. But we should bench him for an RB who was out of football at the beginning of the year? Just because a fat guy from Cheektowaga with chicken wing stains on his shirt doesn't like Willis' agent or where he went to college, that doesn't mean we should bench him.

He will go home to Miami and play BIG. Relax.

Tom Brady made plays when he was called on it to. Willis didn't.

All he had to do was take the ball, run forward and fall forward. Instead, he stutter-stepped, ran SIDEWAYS and THEN jumped forward.

Football isn't rocket science. Despite that, Willis seems to have a problem grasping it's "complexities".

769364[/snapback]

That play sucked without a doubt and I put the blame on Willis. But, no, I would never sit him. At this point he is still valuable to sit. Maybe, next time we have a 4th and 1 you sit him and put in Thomas, and make sure you tell him why he's not in there.

769364[/snapback]

You could argue that running back is the position in football that absolutely requires the least intelligence. It's all instinct and reacting.

Everyone on defense has to read the plays. The O-line has to pick up the blitz. Recievers and TE's have to run routes. The QB has to do everything.

I think folks may want to wait a game or two into the season (actually probably about 8) before they panic and bench their starting RB who has far greater potential upside as a young player originally thought to one of the top 5 players in college football who we acquired with a pick inthe 20s because of his injury.

In his still less than 2 full seasons of starts, WM is a youngster who is the fastest Bill to rush for over 2000 yards.

The idea you would bench him to start your back-up RB who really impressed us a lot yesterday but who is coming off of two poor seasons and last went barely over 1000 yards rushing in a season in 2003 would really be the height of panic.

In fact, to take extreme action as a motivational tool says a lot more about the person making an assessment of the character of a player whom they really do not know beyond their interpretation of his motivations based on what they see on TV than any real assessment.

I think the key thing for the Bills at RB yesterday was that for the first time since the good ol days way back when which saw the obviously higher upside RB Thurman Thomas spelled by Kenny Davis did I feel quite good about the 2 players we had at RB.

One thing which I thought the CBS announcers were right about yesterday amidst all their blather and trying to make reality fit their storylines, was that NFL teams seem to be going much more toward having tow RBs they iuse extensively with though one is clearly the #1, they both are productive and pose specific threats.

Clearly the Pats have that will Maroney's production working with Dillion, and while clearly our back-up Thomas does not present the impressive potential upside of their #2 Maroney, despite the rants of some fans who were ready to cut Thomas this pre-season to keep Gates, i think the bills may well prove to have 2 RBs capable of important contributions to this team.

No. If he is able to go, play him. He needs to be given the chance to get into a groove. He showed excellent speed yesterday, and I thought he demonstrated good field vision yesterday, as he cut back and reversed field successfully a few times.

769191[/snapback]

The problem I have with Willis is that he seems to think he's quicker and faster than he really is. Two years ago I loved the guy. He'd put his head down and smash into the line. He's use his monster stiff arm to embarrass defenders. One year removed from his knee injury he didn't think of himself as the speed guy he was in college and he transformed himself into a power back.

This year he is definitely faster and more agile but not nearly fast enough to play the type of game he seems insistent on playing. Go watch LT tonight. The guy is as shifty as it gets but he STILL puts his head down and gets tough yards. I'm not blaming Willis for the 4th and 1 miss (as Fowler got blown up) but over the past two years I've grown tired of McGahee's tippy toe dance act in the backfield.

NOT knowing it is 4th and 1 is inexcusable.  I thought he a very good game up until that point.  But he needs to get a head on his shoulders.

769232[/snapback]

I was just thinking that JP should start reciting the down and distance in the huddle for everyone's benefit. For example

JP

"Ok, it's 4th and 1 ! we need this one to win the game. Willis ! We need at least one yard it's fourth down !"

Should we sit Melvin Fowler?

[This whole string is really sad.]

769481[/snapback]

Why? Because you're a "U" apologist?

This week is going to be a good example of just how average WM is, IMO.

Watch how Ronnie Brown goes at the line and then watch Willis. It's no contest.

769520[/snapback]

Seriously man, watch the replay of the 4th and one. If he goes "straight into the line" he loses 2-3 yards easy.

769520[/snapback]

Which college football team do you support????

Seriously man, watch the replay of the 4th and one. If he goes "straight into the line" he loses 2-3 yards easy.

769525[/snapback]

Not necessarily.

But hey, whatever gets you through the week.

Point is, that's how he approacches EVERY run, and it's even worse when he has a lead blocker, I've found.