A-TRAIN

RJOSEPH

:devil: I know this guy was supposed to be the primary back-up but since gates has shown so much talent and speed for 230 lbs he is a better prospect by far. i hate to say it but i think thomas could be cut after this preseason game vs. the bengals. especially if gates has a really good game. what do you guys think??

go bills, mcgahee will have 2000 yds this year!!!! <_<

:devil: I know this guy was supposed to be the primary back-up but since gates has shown so much talent and speed for 230 lbs he is a better prospect by far.  i hate to say it but i think thomas could be cut after this preseason game vs. the bengals. especially if gates has a really good game. what do you guys think??

go bills, mcgahee will have 2000 yds this year!!!! <_<

746221[/snapback]

I doubt it. I think A-train will stay mainly because dj really likes him. I think A-train will have a positve effect on the other rb's and is just the type of person you like to have on a team.

but who is better, thomas or gates there has to be a decison and they will not cut williams because of his sptms and his ability as a change of pace. he's younger too. thomas or gates will get cut and it wont be gates.

but who is better, thomas or gates there has to be a decison and they will not cut williams because of his sptms and his ability as a change of pace.  he's younger too. thomas or gates will get cut and it wont be gates.

746231[/snapback]

I would cut williams. I think were going to see a lot more willis on third down. Mcgee will return kickoffs and parrish will return punts. I dont know what else shaud does on st's. Is he a valuable st's player?

I sm not sure about this conclusion as the #2 role requires:

1. A demonstrated ability to do blitz pick-up work which usally comes with being a vet for a while. If the young Gates has not shown he has mastered this part of the game, it does not matter if he outgains A-Train as a rusher, being able to protect JP is a essential part of the job, if the #2 needs to play for WM or we go with 2 RB sets.

2. Pass catching will be an even more important part of the RB game as we move to a Rams style offense and though Gates has shown impressive ability as a rusher he needs to demonstrate ability as a receiver in this O or even Shaud Williams may beat him out.

Many folks do get wowed by an impressive rushing performance but just as when the Bills cut an RB who was easily there lead rusher in pre-season and no other team in the league even bothered to sign him, there is simply a lot more to being chosen as the #2 RB than nice rishing or scoring an outstanding TD )which Gates did last week).

The thing most in Gates favor is not simply that he did some good rushing, but that A-Train has not shown results yet as a pass catcher or blitz pick-up. However, the ga,e situations have not called for him to do this yet, so it seems pre-mature to write him off just as it is pre-mature to write Gates on yet.

He needs to show a lot more before this is for sure.

S. WILLIAMS IS THE BACK-UP FOR PUNT RETURN AND KICK RETURN. HE IS FASTER AND YOUNGER THAN THOMAS AND IS STILL GETTING BETTER. HE WILL NOT GET CUT. <_<

746252[/snapback]

The reason you are seeing him on KR/PR is duties is that they are trying to find out if he has any value to this team. KR depth starts with McGee, Davis, Reed then maybe Shaud. PR depth starts with Parrish, Clements, J. Smith. Shaud has looked awful on KR so far and I don't think he will be on the team.

S. WILLIAMS IS THE BACK-UP FOR PUNT RETURN AND KICK RETURN. HE IS FASTER AND YOUNGER THAN THOMAS AND IS STILL GETTING BETTER. HE WILL NOT GET CUT. <_<

746252[/snapback]

Don't be so sure about that. For one thing, Williams isn't even listed on the current depth chart at PR - Roscoe Parrish is backed up by Jonathan Smith. And he's certainly not going to beat out McGee for KR, and Parrish, Smith, and Josh Reed all have some experience returning kickoffs.

If his main argument for making the roster is at backup KR, he might be in trouble. Just sayin'.

As to RB: the Bills were hurt last year by the lack of a guy who could come in and pound the ball when Willis needed a break. Shaud has proven he has the will, but not the body type to be that guy. If they're serious about running the ball this season, I'd keep both A. Thomas and Gates ahead of him.