Bills Daily says Aiken play puts PP on hotsear

Pyrite Gal

Boy this note seemed to be wishful thinking.

One can see how they came up with this one since Aiken's pass catching performance has been surprisingly good with a team leading 4 catches and a very nice 18 yard average with his high being only 23 yds (someimes these averages can be inflated by one large gain but Aiken's catches have all been solid).

In addition, Price racked up a grand total of zero yards on zero catches.

However, the headline which describes this as a make or break game for many players and folks have a lot to lose seems like a level of media hyper ventilation that is not the habit of Bills Daily.

Its the second game folks.

In many ways it is sort of the equivalent of the 3rd day of a golf tournament which is referred to as "moving day" when often the pretenders and the contenders are separated. However, the pretenders are the roster stuffers who were likely to get cut anyway.

However, as with this golf analogy (which is instructive but not fully applicable) the decisions really are made in the next round and this likely will not be a make or break game as most decisions are already made regarding roster and starting spots.

In a perfect world, JP will nail down the starting QB spot and the third game appearance by him will be devoted to fine-tuning the performance of his offense (though it would not surprise me that if JP showed early success in the third game, the braintrust simply sits him quickly to retain his confidence and avoid any riak of injury in the silly season rather than have him log some PT to refine his game even though this is what he needs.

This second game is important, but it simply is doubtful to be make or break for many of the contenders as it would take a super performance to nail down the starting job for any position like QB or DL, or back-up RB where there is some real competition for the spot afoot.

This hyperventilation might be explained by many factors such as:

1. Wishful thinking that Sam Aiken is a receiving threat who is competing for the #2 job. In a word. NO. In theory he might be competing for the #4 job as a possession reciever, but even to get this job he not only would need a solid performance but Reed who I think is the favorite for the #4 WR job woul have to get the droppsies again.

2. Some folks still seem to hold onto some insane hatred of PP because he left us as an FA. He did suck in AT and is not a #1 WR. However, signs seem to indicate he retains his speed and has played the role in practice of an NFL vet with some rep (a deserved rep produced by simpy outstanding production as our #2 in 2002 which led AT to overpay him massively when he failed to make the grade as a #1 in his hometown of AT playing with the run-first Michael Vick,

As long as PP is physically healthy enough to maintain his speed and given his past real world production the whines of many folks claiming he cannot catch the ball are pretty meaningless. What the Bills need for PP is to present the chance that on any given play he might embarass the opposing DB with a fly pattern and because of this potential, the DBs and DCs have to give his speed some room on just about every play.

I think he showed more tougness and character when he was here than many folks who seem to dislike him want to give him credit for. It does not matter what you or I think about this issue. as long as he retains the speed and has the rep of his past real-workd accomplishments for us, his presence makes our new O a lot more formidable.

3. What i really hope is the reason for this overly important headline is that the writers are just as antsy as many of us fans are to see some real games. The Bills may well not have good answers yet for the few roster and starter battles. However, even if the young JP is not a good answer yer, it is clear he is the answer to the quetion of who starts for us.

The BillsDaily headline made me laugh.

Yeah, Bills Daily is usually pretty good.

I don't like the term hot seat. It implies that a player might get cut.

At WR, I think we have two guys that we aren't going to cut. Price and Evans. Both are going to be on this team come the end of camp, unless one really, REALLY screws up BAD.

Reed, Aiken, Davis, Parrish are the four guys really fighting for 3 spots. Sorry Nance, Wilson, and other WR fans, but at this point they are trailing.

"Reed, Aiken, Davis, Parrish are the four guys really fighting for 3 spots"

Who do you cut out of that group?  I'd have to reluctantly say Davis.

746219[/snapback]

Of that list I would have to go with Reed. As he bring the least of the four. Albeit he might be the best WR of the group the truth is depth WRs have to also contribute on Special Teams and that's something Josh doesn't bring to the table. Also as mentioned in a prior thread he's making the most money and in this cap driven era we might be better off looking to use his money on someone else.

Of that list I would have to go with Reed. As he bring the least of the four. Albeit he might be the best WR of the group the truth is depth WRs have to also contribute on Special Teams and that's something Josh doesn't bring to the table. Also as mentioned in a prior thread he's making the most money and in this cap driven era we might be better off looking to use his money on someone else.

746239[/snapback]

Not so fast I think. Tyke Tolbert went out of his way to remark that Reed is one of the smartest players he has ever coached. This seemed to signal to me that the use he planned to put Reed toward is as the #4 WR and in empty backfield sets where a smart player will play against zones which opposing DCs will be forced to use because of the speed threat presented by Evans, PP, and Parrish.

Reed simply sucked when he got a shot at being our #2 in 2003. However, he proved as a rookie that he can be a productive #3 and as opponents were forced to zone up or double Moulds and PP in 2002, it was the ability Reed showed to work effectively against zones and LBs which is what our #4 will need to do.

Aiken has shown a lot and maybe he can outstrip Reed for the #4 slot, but even that remains to be seen as Reed is a workput warrior who always impresses more in camp than his regular season production. Given Reeds theoretical RAC ability as a former RB in an O which is designed to produce RAC opportunities, it will be an uphill battle for Aiken to take the #4 position.

It would also be a mistake to say Reed brings nothing to ST because the stats and my recollection indicates he does. Aiken is a far more valuable ST player IMHO, because he really contributes a ton to the coverage team as a tackler and gunner.

However, Reed is regularly utilized on the ST as a blocker and short kick guy on the return team (he was fourth on the team in KO returns last year behind Johnathan Smith who I think is a likely goner though I like his game. he did return work in all 16 games. Reed is also a part of the hands team which is used in virtually all games to either recover onside kicks or to stop the opponent from doing this.

I think between Reed playing a contibuting role for Bobby April and the offensive scheme coming toward his talents, I think he is going to be a very tough man for Aiken to best out for the #4 WR job.

I do not see much chance at all of Reed getting cut.

Not so fast I think.  Tyke Tolbert went out of his way to remark that Reed is one of the smartest players he has ever coached.

746262[/snapback]

That an the rest of your post are all null and void if he can't catch the ball. I don't care how smart or open a guy can get, if the guy doesn't have hands he's gotta be cut. If a WR is paid to catch the ball, and he can't catch the ball you are not very smart to pay him.

... without the ball in his hands Josh Reed is useless.

Not so fast I think.  Tyke Tolbert went out of his way to remark that Reed is one of the smartest players he has ever coached.  This seemed to signal to me that the use he planned to put Reed toward is as the #4 WR and in empty backfield sets where a smart player will play against zones which opposing DCs will be forced to use because of the speed threat presented by Evans, PP, and Parrish.

746262[/snapback]

Yeah, but smart doesn't always = productive. He hasn't really produced at all since he's been here. Very highly touted coming out of LSU, but a disappointment to say the least.

It seems to me we have a glut of "above average" to "good" receivers, but really seem to be lacking a "great" receiver. I like Lee Evans, I hope he can evolve into that role, but right now I think we are missing a "stud" who puts fear into opposing DBs.

While there is all this talk about who the #1 QB will be and how the preseason will flesh that position out, the real battle is for those WR slots... It's a new coaching staff & GM... which means no ties to the old...

And, I just have this really strange feeling that Peerless will be let go in the end unless he shows something special in the preseason, which means this weekend... Game 2 to me always seems like "the" preseason game, where the starters are in the longest and you have your opportunity to shine... Games 3 & 4 some teams pull starters after just a series or two for injury prevention... And to evaluate their backups... Game 2 is the best test... Which is why if you are a JP fan, you have to be happy he's starting this week.

I personally think that if Price does not block, that may be the deciding factor that gets him cut. Josh Reed, OTOH may well be our best blocking WR. Evens seems try almost as hard, but gets worse results with his smaller body.

In the only PS game so far, Davis looked like the second-worst blocker after Price, but wasn't on the feild as much. The playing time difference either means Price is in front of Davis, or the coaches feel a greater need to evaluate Price. My guess is Davis is at greater risk of getting cut than Price.

746219[/snapback]

You're assuming that the Bills only carry 5 WRs. I'm guessing they carry 6 and all of the above make the team along with Evans and Price. I'd also guess that Nash will be on the PS.

746219[/snapback]

I don't know if you cut any of them to be honest.

My guess is the Bills will carry 6 receivers and keep all four, but one of them will be irrelevent without injuries.

Then again, they may surprise me and rotate between all four of them.

That an the rest of your post are all null and void if he can't catch the ball. I don't care how smart or open a guy can get, if the guy doesn't have hands he's gotta be cut. If a WR is paid to catch the ball, and he can't catch the ball you are not very smart to pay him.

... without the ball in his hands Josh Reed is useless.

746273[/snapback]

You might end up being correct, but it looks pretty doubtful as the Bills braintrust has shown by their decision to extend Reed and give him a bonus seemed to have made the judgment that he can catch the ball well enough to allow him to be productive.

I certainly do not have any particular allegiance to Reed as a player as he has not proven to be productive in a way since his rookie year which generates affection from me as a fan.

However, I can see enough as an outsider that I do feel that there is a workd of difference between Reeds work in 2003 when his case of the droppsies were so bad even us outsiders could see it. His 2004 when he seemed to cure his dropssie problem, but injuries still made him unprodductive, and 2005 when he actually had a not bad year working within a horrible offense.

The objective realities which are simply true are that his 32 catches last year, his being able to start all 16, his getting a career high 5+ yard reception in one game last season and him getting a reception in 11 or 12 straight games at one point last season while not great or maybe not even very good, was a faily solid performance which while I was surprised he got the extension, it was not shocking at all based on the facts.

The Bills braintrust such as Tolbert and Bovvy April apparently are mkaing a judgment that Reed is worht investing in.

I think I was fooled into not seeing that this would be the reality, because I like most fans was still living in the past where I was so disappointed by his crappy 2003.

However, when one goes back and looks at the reality of facts of his production as a WR and adds into that what appears to be a positive judgment based on facts not apparent to the TV or stadium fan viewer, that Reed was an ST contributor on the return team, the decision by the braintrust to invest in him may well be a good one.

We'll see what happens because there is nothing this fan has seen that would make me a Reed believer. However, it seems pretty clear from looking at the facts we can see in the stats, and the decisions made by the braintrust about paying him Ralph's money that an assessment of him based in the idea he has the dedroppsies and cannot catch the ball is basod on a 2003 view of the Bills many of us fans had or have.

You might end up being correct, but it looks pretty doubtful as the Bills braintrust has shown by their decision to extend Reed and give him a bonus seemed to have made the judgment that he can catch the ball well enough to allow him to be productive.

746364[/snapback]

I always enjoy your long-winded takes on the Bills. As such, how do you see the depth chart at WR shaping up after pre-season? Do you think they'll keep 6 on the roster and rotate or have a defined hierarchy?