Dick Jauron and the QB Situation

smuvtalker

Please forgive me if this topic has already been addressed, as this is my first topic created.

Am I the only one not in agreement in how Dick Jauron is handling the quarterback situation? The way he has tap-danced around the issue, refusing to name a starter(I know it's only the first preseason game and apparently who starts is irrelevant), almost brings back memories of Mularkey and the way he would dance around issues and be vague with the media and everyone else. "It may be seniority, or it may be reverse seniority." I mean, what's the deal?

Also, I just don't believe that splitting reps in practice, especially with the installation of a new offense, is good for either QB. I am definitely a JP supporter, and I hope with every fiber of my being that he does win the starting job, but if DJ's plan is let Holcomb start, then dammit just let him get the majority of the reps.

I think it's pretty much a safe bet to say that JP has outplayed Holcomb in camp from day one. His passes are much more crisp, he looks much more poised in the pocket than last year, he throws a gorgeous deep ball, and his accuracy, while it may not be the same as Holcomb's(mostly because of all of Holcomb's checkdown throws) has definitely improved. So why has Jauron not come out even once and praise JP in camp? I don't think he's mentioned him individually even once.

I say that to make this point. As good as JP has looked in camp, imagine if he were getting the lion's share of the reps. I think Jauron's approach to this QB situation is just plain wrong.

Please someone shed some light on this for me....

GO BILLS!!!

Please forgive me if this topic has already been addressed, as this is my first topic created.

I think it's pretty much a safe bet to say that JP has outplayed Holcomb in camp from day one. 

GO BILLS!!!

739756[/snapback]

Absolved!

Plenty of high school QBs locally have also outplayed Holcomb.

Light? We'll see come week one.

You raise a good point however, that more reps will help Losman when he ends up starting. This fiddling around with both, or all three only hurts Losman.

Well to be truthful, if JP being handed the starting job last year without earning it lowered him in the eyes of his teammates, being allowed to win it this year should make his teammates respect him more.

739763[/snapback]

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I really, really hope that that is what Jauron is doing, is basically just making it seem like it's a competition, for the sole purpose of allowing JP to earn the support of his teammates.

Well to be truthful, if JP being handed the starting job last year without earning it lowered him in the eyes of his teammates, being allowed to win it this year should make his teammates respect him more.

739763[/snapback]

Only in the eyes of players that wanted to win now. Real team players, huh?

So we mortgaged the future, part of which was this season, for what, 5 wins because a handful of players had their interests above the team's?

Milloy, Fletcher, Vincent, Moulds.

Maybe we can mortgage another few years for 4 or 5 wins again this season. Wouldn't that be grand.

And then the best part of it is we can talk about doing the same exact thing all over again next season. Maybe we can even sign some more vets that don't care about future seasons but only that one.

And we wonder why this team isn't going anywhere.

When the team's leader grow some, then maybe we will. As long as they allow the vets to run the team and define it's goals, you'd better get used to this annual exercise.

Let me start off by saying I too think it would be more beneficial for JP Losman's progress if he were given the starting QB job sooner rather than later. The more reps he takes in practice the better.

I can't speak for Coach Jauron but I think he's just covering his azz right now with splitting the reps. He wants to see JP in a real game or two before he decides on who deserves the starting job. We all know that practice is much different than a real game. There's no red jersey to save you from a 300+pound behemoth running a 4.6 forty trying to take your head off.

If JP performs at the same level in a actual game setting as he has in practice I'm sure he'll be named starter.

Only in the eyes of players that wanted to win now.  Real team players, huh? 

So we mortgaged the future, part of which was this season, for what, 5 wins because a handful of players had their interests above the team's? 

Maybe we can mortgage another few years for 4 or 5 wins again this season.  Wouldn't that be grand. 

And then the best part of it is we can talk about doing the same exact thing all over again next season.  Maybe we can even sign some more vets that don't care about future seasons but only that one. 

When the team's leader grow some, then maybe we will.  As long as they allow the vets to run the team and define it's goals, you'd better get used to this annual exercise.

739773[/snapback]

While that is definetly what happened last year, I do belive the new regime has addressed that issue with the stress on high character players. I do believe we will see a less selfish and more cohesive unit than what we saw last season.

739756[/snapback]

Since neither JP or KH has consistently stood out in TC, DJ is probably waiting to see what they look like in the pre-season games (smartest move IMO) and DJ is probably also waiting for CN to come back next week (everybody but the Bills themselves seem to have forgotten about him).

J.P. Losman reminds me a lot of Rob Johnson.

739796[/snapback]

Two totally different animals. RJ teased us by having a few great games but couldn't stay healthy and when finally given the chance to be the undisputed signal caller he stunk it up (except for the game against the Chargers with a head to head battle aginst Fluite!) JP on the other hand hasn't been given a chance to be given a true evaluation. 8 games; compare his first few games to Eli Manning; JP is better in every category. Also take a look at Aikman, Elway, McNabb; and you will see that they stunk it up there first year or two and it took them a few years to get on track. While I don't want the Bills to go the Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, or Kyle Boller route and give JP forever to flop, I think he desrves at least a full season to show what he got. As a matter of fact there shouldn't even be a QB competition this year as we are a team with low expectations so unless the team is hitting on all cylinders and QB play is the only thing holding us back as JP is losing games by turning the ball over then he should be given the green light as he performed no worse than most young QBs who progress at the end of their 1st season. If you trade up to draft a QB, he should be given an opportunity. And I know all those TD haters will say it is his mistake but Levy inherited it and has to deal with it. It's not like we have another QB that has proven potential to lead this team for the next 3-4 years and would have to go through the same learning curve. And as far as KH goes, to be truthful, the only Holcomb supporters are basically JP haters as he was brought in to be nothing more than a backup and hasn't exactly lit it up when given the chance for this to be a real debate. At least RJ had to compete against Flutie fans!

Probably one a them illegals, too. I was wondering why there had been rumors out of training camp a few years ago that RJ was selling bags of oranges in the parking lot.

739846[/snapback]

Must have had a lot of orange sacks....

Only in the eyes of players that wanted to win now.  Real team players, huh? 

Maybe we can mortgage another few years for 4 or 5 wins again this season.  Wouldn't that be grand. 

And then the best part of it is we can talk about doing the same exact thing all over again next season.  Maybe we can even sign some more vets that don't care about future seasons but only that one. 

When the team's leader grow some, then maybe we will.  As long as they allow the vets to run the team and define it's goals, you'd better get used to this annual exercise.

739773[/snapback]

Let me ask you something:

Let's say in your line of work, you and someone else is up for a promotion....and you clearly outperform the other person in a 4 week stretch...but the other person joined the company with a higher salary and was younger....and they just handed the promotion to that person....

Is that fair? Would that sit well with you and your co-workers???

What I am trying to get at is, based on last year's preseason results, it was clear as day KH earned the starting job, and yet it was handed to JP. How does that sit with the vets? I'm sure not well. See players want to win NOW...the average NFL career lasts 4 years, they are in this business to win right now...

Plus if the Head Coach makes his decision based on performance, that earns trust with the players. If the coach bases it on youth, etc...how can the players trust the coach?

Now granted, are the Bills a team, when looking at it as of now, going to win the Super Bowl? 99.9% that is a no...but players compete to win, they do not sit around and say "well, since Mort says we have no chance, why bother?"

Bottom line: If Nall or KH clearly outperform JP in the preseason, they should start.

Let me ask you something:

Let's say in your line of work, you and someone else is up for a promotion....and you clearly outperform the other person in a 4 week stretch...but the other person joined the company with a higher salary and was younger....and they just handed the promotion to that person....

Is that fair?  Would that sit well with you and your co-workers???

739875[/snapback]

Ok, but lets say all you have is your HS diploma, and the new guy has an MBA. Sure you outperformed him, only because you've been working for the company much longer, and know what it takes to do a good, but not exceptional job. You are at your ceiling, while the newbie has all the credentials to someday advance to the top of the business chain. So why promote you when you have ZERO chance of going any higher?

I am a JP guy and I will be one pissed off season ticket holder if I have to watch Holcomb lob the ball around eight times this year. But I have no problem with the camp competition. Give both a real good look and play the one that is honestly better. I think we've all seen Holcomb play...If JP can't beat him out then that sets us back. I place no stock in who starts the preseason game, I just hope it's Losman under center come Sept. 10.

Besides, JP got starter's reps last year in camp and that didn't seem to help much...Maybe watching Holcomb run the same play right after he runs it will help JP go through his progressions and pick up the parts of the game where Holcomb excels.