Peter King on WEEI right now

PromoTheRobot

Tuned in the middle of this conversation:

1) TD not under pressure yet...but will be if this keeps up.

2) Blame TD for trading for Bledsoe when he didn't have the O-line to block for him.

3) Bills blew it not checking the charecter of Mike Williams before drafting him. King was trying not to say it outright, but he was insinuating that Mike Williams is a tortured individual who hates playing football, and only shows up for the paycheck. Refered to Mike "...having 900 guys hanging off him." Not defenders, but people mooching off him. Also said Mike shows up to work "...asking if his check was deposited yet?' He wasn't clear if that was an actual quote.

He did say unequivicaly that Williams is killing Bledsoe and the Bills. So why is he playing? Becuase he's a #4 overall pick! If he were some FA walk-on, he'd be long gone.

PTR

Tuned in the middle of this conversation:

1) TD not under pressure yet...but will be if this keeps up.

2) Blame TD for trading for Bledsoe when he didn't have the O-line to block for him.

3) Bills blew it not checking the charecter of Mike Williams before drafting him.  King was trying not to say it outright, but he was insinuating that Mike Williams is a tortured individual who hates playing football, and only shows up for the paycheck.  Refered to Mike "...having 900 guys hanging off him."  Not defenders, but people mooching off him.  Also said Mike shows up to work "...asking if his check was deposited yet?'  He wasn't clear if that was an actual quote.

He did say unequivicaly that Williams is killing Bledsoe and the Bills.  So why is he playing?  Becuase he's a #4 overall pick!  If he were some FA walk-on, he'd be long gone.

PTR

50836[/snapback]

Erik Flowers.

Sorry, don't buy that for a second.

How much pressure has come from the edge vs up the middle? Not nearly as much.

And come on, what person is going to go into their job and ask, "Has my check been deposited yet?" Nobody! Maybe you would for your first ever paycheck, but not after that. Give me a break.

The media is really pathetic -- they latch onto what people are complaining about and then fuel the fire by repeating it, but distancing themselves by saying, "I don't know if that's really true or not though." Give me a break.

Is MW a dominant RT? No. Is he decent? Yes. Is he the main problem on the OL? DEFINATELY not.

CW

As an offensive linemen Mike Williams isnt going to get any love from me till he gets his head screwed on right.....

There are OL out there that would give their left "whatever....take your pick" to be able to play ONE SEASON in the greatest sports stage in the world.....

Mike Williams should have been getting his body ready to go even if his mental being was not there do to his problems......

Christ...I really dont understand it....I go to the gym to WORK OFF the frustrations of my life so they dont consume me....what is so fricken difficult about that......

Get it together Mike.....

3) Bills blew it not checking the charecter of Mike Williams before drafting him. 

50836[/snapback]

Funny me, but I recall one of the things that TD & people in the organization highlighted in drafting MW ahead of McKinney was his character.

Funny me, but I recall one of the things that TD & people in the organization highlighted in drafting MW ahead of McKinney was his character.

50865[/snapback]

The other funny thing is that we are paying a lot more for a right tackle than Minnesota is paying for a left tackle (McKinnie) who has outplayed Williams from Day one.

I remember how people on this board completely trashed McKinnie.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Series accusations and accurate imo. I don't know about the check statement but he obviosly is getting Bledsoe killed at least once a week. I've been saying for two months he doesn't even appear to like playing football. I guess some others are seeing the same. He has a weak character which was evident over the summer and during camp. You blew it TD. The guy is an overgrown baby.

How much pressure has come from the edge vs up the middle?  Not nearly as much. 

50849[/snapback]

I feel that most of the pressure has been coming from the edge and the stats kind of support it. The OT's have given up 3 sacks this season vs. the Guards and Center who have given up only 1 (the lone sack being credited to Ross Tucker...a backup).

That said...3 sacks by the OTs in two games isn't bad. For the most part, the O-line is getting the job done. It's the other blockers ...TE/HB/FB that aren't getting the job done.

I will concede that pressure is coming from the middle from blitzing LBs and DBs, but I still think it is disproportionate to the amount of edge pressure.

Everything else you said was spot on tho'.

I feel that most of the pressure has been coming from the edge and the stats kind of support it. The OT's have given up 3 sacks this season vs. the Guards and Center who have given up only 1 (the lone sack being credited to Ross Tucker...a backup).

That said...3 sacks by the OTs in two games isn't bad. For the most part, the O-line is getting the job done. It's the other blockers ...TE/HB/FB that aren't getting the job done.

I will concede that pressure is coming from the middle from blitzing LBs and DBs, but I still think it is disproportionate to the amount of edge pressure.

50878[/snapback]

MW was responsible for two sacks against the Raiders. One where he got beat and was caught off balance, the other where he made a mental error and blocked the wrong guy.

50865[/snapback]

As someone who works with the University of Texas athletics dept., I can tell you, there is not a better character person the Bills could have drafted than Mike Williams. That beign said, UT football players, other than runnning backs, and perhaps Roy Williams this year, are rarely prepared to make the jump to the pros. The players here are coddled by Mack Brown and staff. While they have some great athletes here (and have had) thye are poorly coached. Mike is a great guy, but I wouldn't be shocked if he lacked desire. Rememer Ricky Williams? Kwame Cavil? Jonathan Patton? The kids here are pretty spoiled...

50878[/snapback]

That the pressure is coming from the outside is no surprise, that's where the bulk of pressure comes from all across the league. Last I recall, the greatest pass rushers the game has produced are DE's and a few LB's (blitzes or edge rushers - recall Paup's big year? Outside rushes).

With that said, Williams surely needs to pick his game up a notch, and there does seem to be clear evidence that his heart isn't in the game at this point. I fear he;ll pull a Ricky and just pack it in in a couple years and waste that god given talent all together leaving us high and dry. Here's to hoping he decides football is what he wants to excel at and do for as long as he can, but so far his actions are not supporting this hope.

Peter King has had a hair across his ass against TD & the Bills for a while now, ever since they let his great source Flutie go. I like King, he has great contacts in the NFL, but he is an exceedingly lazy guy (constant mentions of his daughters' sports & coffee to fill column inches) who often talks out of his butt.

I agree that Williams hasn't worked out, but that's one of the risks you take with a high draft pick (the Browns know this now). We're 2 games into the season, it's a bit early to write off the O-line. They have underperformed, but that doesn't mean the season is lost. Look back at week 4 last year, and the end of the season results.

The other funny thing is that we are paying a lot more for a right tackle than Minnesota is paying for a left tackle (McKinnie) who has outplayed Williams from Day one.

I remember how people on this board completely trashed McKinnie.

50871[/snapback]

McKinnie gave up 11 sacks last year, Williams 9. Who outplayed who last year? Jennings, a 3rd round pick gave up 2 or 3.

If you compare Pace's first two seasons with Williams, Williams gave up 2 more sacks than Pace.

If McKinnie was drafted by the Bills, he would have been a RT too, especially since he decided to hold out half of his first year. Jennings would have had the LT spot nailed down, and McKinnie's play would have kept him at RT.

The problems with the OL has been inexperience, changing positions, offensive scheme and gameplan, and the loss of Larry Centers, who was able to get Bledsoe out of a jam.

Then again, I don't have the apparent mind reading skills of Peter King.