The Swagger is almost back!!!

Justice

Why do y'all want this kid on the field.

Not only is he likely to get hurt again, but he's also probably going to be awful like every other rookie QB has ever been.

If Week 12 rolls around and we're out of the p'off picture the Bills should protect JP while he continues to learn and leave Drew in there in an attempt to improve their draft position ;-)

Cya

He needs experience. Let him make rookie mistakes in a year that doesn't matter and then next year he will be ready. You can't sit a guy because your afraid he might get hurt. Football doesn't work that way. You can't learn how to swim without getting in the water.

BTW. I'm willing to bet the O-Line doesn't look as bad with JP at QB

I'm willing to bet the O-Line doesn't look as bad with JP at QB

The OLine hasn't looked bad with Drew at QB either.

And rookie QB's absolutely can learn a lot by sitting their first year. It has been a succesful strategy recently for several different teams.

Not to mention the kid is coming off a broken leg. If it was a twisted knee or some bruised ribs, maybe you're more likely to think about it. But the boy just broke his leg and now is not the time to be throwing him into a pro game for the first time.

Cya

The OLine hasn't looked bad with Drew at QB either.

And rookie QB's absolutely can learn a lot by sitting their first year. It has been a succesful strategy recently for several different teams.

Not to mention the kid is coming off a broken leg. If it was a twisted knee or some bruised ribs, maybe you're more likely to think about it. But the boy just broke his leg and now is not the time to be throwing him into a pro game for the first time.

Cya

49158[/snapback]

You know, in game one I would tend to agree. The OL did look a tad improved, in that they looked like they sort of knew what they were doing.

In game two, even Big Mike played OK, but then was apparently victimized for at least one sack. That said, they are almost exclusively running short routes, which one would think require less protection, and they STILL have given up 8 or 9 sacks!

Imo, there are 3 problems:

1) Lack of cohesion. There are 2 new guys in there.

2) Sorry, overall lack of talent.

3) Travis Henry. Simon, I dont think that he needs to nor can turn into a Carwell Garner type tough guy overnight, but he is a very strong guy who is well capable of pitching in on pass protection. If he is unwilling to, or mentally incapable of blocking, I think that he should be promptly sat on the bench in favor of MaGahee. What is your take?

You know, in game one I would tend to agree. The OL did look a tad improved, in that they looked like they sort of knew what they were doing.

In game two, even Big Mike played OK, but then was apparently victimized for at least one sack. That said, they are almost exclusively running short routes, which one would think require less protection, and they STILL have given up 8 or 9 sacks!

3) Travis Henry. Simon, I dont think that he needs to nor can turn into a Carwell Garner type tough guy overnight, but he is a very strong guy who is well capable of pitching in on pass protection. If he is unwilling to, or mentally incapable of blocking, I think that he should be promptly sat on the bench in favor of MaGahee. What is your take?

49173[/snapback]

All of the above.

Agree 100% - last rookie QB who had any success was Marino

49195[/snapback]

Ever hear of a guy named Peyton Manning? Or how about McNabb? He didn't start the season as a starter but he did finish the year a starter.

Howdy Bill. I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that the OLine has given up 8or9 sacks. Of the 7 sacks the Raiders registered, only one of them was on the OLine (Big Mike's), the rest were on Sheltom, Henry, McGahee or Drew himself. Then they gave up one sack in the Jax game but I don't remember the play so I'm not sure who's man it was. So at worst the OLine itself has allowed 2 sacks in 2 games while only having played together for a limited time and then opening the season against the likes of Stroud/Henderson and TED/Sapp while having to protect a guy who is harder to protect than any other QB in the NFL.

That is not only surprising and impressive, that is simply outstanding.

As for Henry, I just can't figure the kid out. AKC and I were having the same conversation in the preseason and neitehr of us gets it. You give TRavis the ball and he's a rolling ball of buthcer knives, at times even going out of his way to hunt people up for punishment. But then all the sudden when he doesn't have the ball he becomes a shrinking violet! :D

Travis isn't a bad back, but he is very one-dimensional with questionable ball skills. I don't understand why McGahee was virtually ignored in the Raider game after playing very well since August, but unless he was having swelling problems with the knee I really doubt Mularkey will make the same mistake again. I'm not ready to see Henry sent to the pine because the guy really can grind, but I do think it's important for the Bills staff to take advantage of their riches at RB and make a concerted effort to involve McGahee more. I think we'll see a lot of him as Mularkey/Clements pull out all the stops vs NE this weekend.

Cya

Ever hear of a guy named Peyton Manning? Or how about McNabb? He didn't start the season as a starter but he did finish the year a starter.

49210[/snapback]

Thank you sir! I said before Peyton said it's the best way to learn and his word is has good as any. I know many don't know that Dennis Shaw was benched half way threw Fergy's rookie year and he did very good for a rookie. If he's healed then what's the point. I'm so sick of Bledslow. :D

I think that Losman NEEDS to play this season, but us fans need to adjust our expectations.

It's not important that Losman comes in and does or doesn't play up to the level of Manning, Marino, or McNabb, either in their rookie season or prime. What IS important is that Losman simply breathes some life into this team and gives management help to determine what our true week points are. Is it the 0-line? Tight end? Can we say for sure that our veteran QB is no longer servicable? :D Is it the scheme or how the scheme is applied?

Very few lessons can be learned by continuing to stay the course. It is necessary to experiment to see what does and doesn't work with our personnel.

If Losman comes in and is able to create some offense by scrambling for yardage and/or distributing the ball to several different players with the same offense that Drew is struggling with then, if you ask me, THAT is the most important thing that we could get out of our QB of the future.

Honestly, I think that some of this could be answered by plugging Matthews in for even half a game just to get the perspective from a different QB. If nothing changes offensive production-wise, then that might also be meaningful.

As far as injuring the kid....well that's what the offseason is for.

Guest Guest_bILLSJUNKIE_*
Why do y'all want this kid on the field.

Not only is he likely to get hurt again, but he's also probably going to be awful like every other rookie QB has ever been.

If Week 12 rolls around and we're out of the p'off picture the Bills should protect JP while he continues to learn and leave Drew in there in an attempt to improve their draft position ;-)

Cya

49126[/snapback]

What draft position???? We dont have a first rounder next year. Looks like the cowboys are getting a top 5 pick. Lucky bastards lol.

What draft position???? We dont have a first rounder next year. Looks like the cowboys are getting a top 5 pick. Lucky bastards lol.

Actually I was only joking....sorta. But if we're not going anywhere I'd much rather be picking at the top of every round than 2/3 of the way in.

And I don't think the Cowboys will end up with a pick in the top 12-15, much less one in the top 5.

Cya

49440[/snapback]

Even though we're not getting a first rounder, we'd still get a high second round pick.

Dennis Shaw was benched half way threw Fergy's rookie year and he did very good for a rookie

Actually, FWIW I'm pretty sure Fergy started every game. It was his job to hand the ball to OJ or the FB (who together racked up almost 1000 yds to go w/ OJ's 2003). When it was necessary to throw more than 20% of the time, that was when Fergy was benched in favor of Shaw.