ok....an off topic post...

This is a pretty interesting story....at least I like telling it....

- I have this large overgrown oak tree in my front yard....I have hated ever since I bought my house in Hemet over 5 years ago....too large to trim easily...probably would cost a fortune....ant infested....drops tons of leaves and acorns in the fall.....sucks all the nutrients around it for 5 feet so that the expensive sod I put down wont grow right....etc, etc, I remember thinking on several occasions that I would PAY somebody to take the thing away

- So Friday of last week I get a call from the wife....someone shows up on our doorstep and offers to pay $1,000 cash, dig the thing out, take away all the greenwaste junk, chop up the good parts for firewood (all they wanted was the base), clean up, and replace it with a baby oak tree.......

I'm like....RIP HIS ARM OFF AND TAKE THE MONEY BEFORE HE RETRACTS IT.....I remember driving home that day thinking "there is going to be some kind of catch"

But there wasn't.....they did exactly as they said they were going to to do.....

So with my newfound 1K I was thinking about installing solar heating into my pool. I was wondering if anyone had experience with that at all here. I think it would cost less to do mine because when I had them biuld the pool I got it "solar ready" so that the solar stubs that lead to the pool are already installed......all someone has to do is put the panels on the roof....and install pipe for what amounts to 5 feet down to the stub......

Anybody got any info?

- I have this large overgrown oak tree in my front yard....I have hated ever since I bought my house in Hemet over 5 years ago....too large to trim easily...probably would cost a fortune....ant infested....drops tons of leaves and acorns in the fall.....sucks all the nutrients around it for 5 feet so that the expensive sod I put down wont grow right....etc, etc, I remember thinking on several occasions that I would PAY somebody to take the thing away

- So Friday of last week I get a call from the wife....someone shows up on our doorstep and offers to pay $1,000 cash, dig the thing out, take away all the greenwaste junk, chop up the good parts for firewood (all they wanted was the base), clean up, and replace it with a baby oak tree.......

I'm like....RIP HIS ARM OFF AND TAKE THE MONEY BEFORE HE RETRACTS IT.....I remember driving home that day thinking "there is going to be some kind of catch"

But there wasn't.....they did exactly as they said they were going to to do.....

So with my newfound 1K I was thinking about installing solar heating into my pool.  I was wondering if anyone had experience with that at all here.  I think it would cost less to do mine because when I had them biuld the pool I got it "solar ready" so that the solar stubs that lead to the pool are already installed......all someone has to do is put the panels on the roof....and install pipe for what amounts to 5 feet down to the stub......

Anybody got any info?

48700[/snapback]

I just put a pool in and put in solar. It works great. I live in southern California and during peak times it heats the pool to the high 80s. It also extends the time you can use the pool. Do it !!

So with my newfound 1K I was thinking about installing solar heating into my pool.  I was wondering if anyone had experience with that at all here.  I think it would cost less to do mine because when I had them biuld the pool I got it "solar ready" so that the solar stubs that lead to the pool are already installed......all someone has to do is put the panels on the roof....and install pipe for what amounts to 5 feet down to the stub......

Anybody got any info?

48700[/snapback]

Why the hell did the guy want a tree stump for?

Hey John.

Pool guy here in florida. I've talked to at least 10 homeowners who have it. ALL, dont recomend it. Why? Leaks, plain and simple. Plus other high maintenence things to do.

I could tell you some of their stories but, I think maybe you may have heard of some.

I decided not to do it because of what they told me. I'm in limbo right now as to waht I want to do. And you know what the options are, right?

Hey John.

Pool guy here in florida. I've talked to at least 10 homeowners who have it. ALL, dont recomend it. Why? Leaks, plain and simple. Plus other high maintenence things to do.

I could tell you some of their stories but, I think maybe you may have heard of some.

I decided not to do it because of what they told me. I'm in limbo right now as to waht I want to do. And you know what the options are, right?

48789[/snapback]

Yeah it is either solar or a gas powered heater.....which costs a fortune to run.....

The leaks problem was a reason why I wasn't going to do it myself.....

I assume you're talking the black vinyl solar panels the water flows through. I bought a single 2*20 section for my 18' pool. It should work good but my results at least this year weren't great. Why? Not enough sun, too much clouds, and temp's too low this year. My garage roof was too far away so I built a "table" for it next to the pool. I noticed the pressure on my pump doubled once hooked up. If you have to pump it up to the roof it could triple possibly. We'll see how it goes next year

I assume you're talking the black vinyl solar panels the water flows through.  I bought a single 2*20 section for my 18' pool.  It should work good but my results at least this year weren't great.  Why?  Not enough sun, too much clouds, and temp's too low this year.  My garage roof was too far away so I built a "table" for it next to the pool.  I noticed the pressure on my pump doubled once hooked up.  If you have to pump it up to the roof it could triple possibly.  We'll see how it goes next year

48909[/snapback]

Yeah, but John lives in California. I hear they get actual sunshine out there. ;)

My results approximate yours, MM - I have one 4x20 panel for my 15x25 above-ground. If the summer is warm and sunny, it does great, but in a non-summer like this one was, we might as well have left it rolled up in the garage. Going to try a propane-fired one next year...