why is everyone so thrilled about mularkey leaving

it's sad, actually. the buffalo media and fan base has become more abusive than i can ever remember, and that's gotta to be tough to deal with for anyone.

as for getting a new coach, great. let's get some assistant coach who's never done a goddamn thing and who no one truly knows anything about except that he comes from a vaguely defined "good coaching tree."

i hope mularkey stays. but given the espn reports, i seriously doubt that he will.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's sad, actually. the buffalo media and fan base has become more abusive than i can ever remember, and that's gotta to be tough to deal with for anyone.

as for getting a new coach, great. let's get some assistant coach who's never done a goddamn thing and who no one truly knows anything about except that he comes from a vaguely defined "good coaching tree."

i hope mularkey stays. but given the espn reports, i seriously doubt that he will.

563405[/snapback]

I'm not happy. We need some stability at OBD right now if we're ever going to attract any qualified coaches or FAs. MM's just castrated himself as a HC here, so he has to leave regardless of how today's meeting goes.

For those of us out of towners at work, I would like to say WTF are you guys talking about?

563410[/snapback]

here it is.

Although he may still be talked into staying on the job, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and ESPN.com on Thursday that Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey was in an afternoon meeting with high-ranking team officials that could lead to his resignation.

If is believed that the meeting includes Bills owner Ralph Wilson and newly-appointed general manager Marv Levy.

Sources said that, because of family considerations, Mularkey intended to walk away after only two seasons, but felt that he needed to meet with Bills management before he formally tendered his resignation. Mularkey had lengthy meetings with Wilson last week as the Bills owner dramatically reshuffled the football operation.

Wilson fired team president/general manager Tom Donahoe, re-hired Levy, the Hall of Fame coach who led the Bills to four Super Bowl appearances, and made other changes to the front office. It is believed that Wilson also suggested changes in the coaching staff and Mularkey subsequently dismissed five assistants.

In two seasons, Mularkey has compiled a 14-18 record, including a disappointing 5-11 mark in 2005.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2289987

I'm not happy.    We need some stability at OBD right now if we're ever going to attract any qualified coaches or FAs.    MM's just castrated himself as a HC here, so he has to leave regardless of how today's meeting goes.

563413[/snapback]

If it happens, I'm happy. I don't need two years to size up anyone's performance. How he handled adversity suggests he does not have a strong enough personality to handle the job. I could say this another way, referencing body parts.

While I'm excited this may lead to the hiring of a coach with some previous head coaching experience, I don't think Mularkey got a fair shake in all of this. I think he's taken more than his fair share of criticism, and he's too caught up in all of it right now to think clear enough. But if he really went into this meeting with the intention of quitting, then I say good riddance and good luck Mike.

here it is.

Although he may still be talked into staying on the job, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and ESPN.com on Thursday that Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey was in an afternoon meeting with high-ranking team officials that could lead to his resignation.

If is believed that the meeting includes Bills owner Ralph Wilson and newly-appointed general manager Marv Levy.

Sources said that, because of family considerations, Mularkey intended to walk away after only two seasons, but felt that he needed to meet with Bills management before he formally tendered his resignation. Mularkey had lengthy meetings with Wilson last week as the Bills owner dramatically reshuffled the football operation.

Wilson fired team president/general manager Tom Donahoe, re-hired Levy, the Hall of Fame coach who led the Bills to four Super Bowl appearances, and made other changes to the front office. It is believed that Wilson also suggested changes in the coaching staff and Mularkey subsequently dismissed five assistants.

In two seasons, Mularkey has compiled a 14-18 record, including a disappointing 5-11 mark in 2005.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2289987

563423[/snapback]

Outstanding! and Ralph doesn't have to pay him either! :blink:

If it happens, I'm happy.  I don't need two years to size up anyone's performance.  How he handled adversity suggests he does not have a strong enough personality to handle the job.  I could say this another way, referencing body parts.

563424[/snapback]

I'm not concerned with MM as much as I am with the vibe it sends off to perspective coaching candidates and FAs.

The only coaches who might now be interested in coming to a F'd up situation like this are guys like Cottrell or Haz, who've worked or played here before. I'd prefer to draw from a deeper talent pool than that...

Bring back Wade!!!

563405[/snapback]

In all seriousness, does anybody now wonder why this team had no MENTAL TOUGHNESS over the past two seasons?

This is ridiculous. If the Buffalo fans can run Mularkey out of town, God help him if he ever takes a job in NYC, Philly, or DC. What fans say and do is often inexcusable, but for a professional coach to QUIT over it?

Unbelievable.

In all seriousness, does anybody now wonder why this team had no MENTAL TOUGHNESS over the past two seasons?

This is ridiculous.  If the Buffalo fans can run Mularkey out of town, God help him if he ever takes a job in NYC, Philly, or DC.  What fans say and do is often inexcusable, but for a professional coach to QUIT over it?

Unbelievable.

563446[/snapback]

Well, quitting for family reasons sounds a lot better than I quit because they emasculated me by making me fire all my coaches and run my coordinator choices by them...

It also sounds a lot better than I was fired, which is what I think may really be happening here, if it's true that the BIlls are indeed already looking at HC candidates

This is ridiculous.  If the Buffalo fans can run Mularkey out of town, God help him if he ever takes a job in NYC, Philly, or DC.  What fans say and do is often inexcusable, but for a professional coach to QUIT over it?

Unbelievable.

563446[/snapback]

Exactly.

563405[/snapback]

Dave, I must disagree. I don't think you can say the media or fan base are worse than any other NFL city -- and I think both are better than most.

Bottom line is that MM did a crappy job this year. I don't see how anyone could have watched this year's team and thought otherwise. 1-7 on the road? Losing every close game? The debacle in Miami? Getting completely blown out multiple times? Pulling out McGahee on every 3rd down? Throwing those GD screen passes to Shelton inside the 5-yard line instead of giving it to McGahee? Public blowups with Moulds and Adams? And why did Pittsburgh become really good after MM left? Are you kidding?

Your point about getting another assistant from a good tree is right on. That's been tried twice and failed miserably both times. I have a hard time believing that the Bills are going to go down that road yet again.

I was OK with MM staying, but that is just out of deference to Marv's judgment. If Marv's judgment is that MM should go, I will again trust him. If he leaves, I think it will be because the Bills want him to. This business about "family considerations" is nonsense. It's about negotiating a buyout.

I'd guess Marv will go with someone with experience. My first choice is Mike Sherman, then Steve Mariucci.

Go Bills.

I'm over-joyed! Keeping him made zero sense to begin with, and if he's got to make up a bogus story to save face then screw him.

Maybe the fans ought to put the fear of god in the HC? Then we'll get a guy with a sack that's not going to cave into a couple of whiney vets...crack a few heads open...break some limbs. Then maybe they'll play harder if they worry for their very lives about losing. Then they'll tune him out after a couple years and we'll run his a$$ out of town too! :blink:

That's power, man! I need a drink!

563405[/snapback]

oh bs............i remember listening to ditka on talk shows in chicago and inviting anyone who wanted to try and take a swing at him he's ready...then promptly gave out his address...........no takers

it's all wwf stuff...............he's just not handling anything well, especially the qb's, and the football team.