Mike Williams

IndyJay1234

Is it possible that the move to the left side is to get him comfortable before possibly switching him to LT.  The Left Guard position could be the first step...

499095[/snapback]

Anything is possible but he is an often injured, mediocre right tackle. Doesn't make much sense.

Is it possible that the move to the left side is to get him comfortable before possibly switching him to LT.  The Left Guard position could be the first step...

499095[/snapback]

No.

You don't get a guy "used" to playing on the left side by easing him into a position you don't forsee him playing. Would you want this guy playing Left tackle when he can't handle Right tackle? Take the blinders off, he's a BUST and will likely be gone at the end of the season.

RTB

Not that anyone needed to be reminded, but I think we can now safely eliminate all doubt that the selection of Williams belongs on the list of HUGE donahoe blunders. In no particular order, this is how I see the list (keeping in mind that this doesn't include all the mediocre draft picks):

1. Mike Williams

2. Gregg Williams

3. Keeping Rob Johnson

4. Trading a #1 for Bledsoe

5. Letting Pat Williams go without an adequate replacement

Each one of these decisions has been a complete disaster. Cumulatively they have put on on an express train to a 5-11 season in TD's FIFTH year.

Note that I am not including JP on this list b/c it's too soon to tell. I am also not including other bad moves such as:

A. Bennie Anderson

B. Josh Reed

C. Ryan Denney

D. letting Peerless go without an adequate replacement

E. failure to bring in quality players at offensive and defensive line

F. keeping Gregg Williams around a year too long after it was clear that he was a loser

etc. etc. -- but only because I don't think the items on the 2nd list were individually as crippling as the items on the 1st list.

Donahoe must go.

Not that anyone needed to be reminded, but I think we can now safely eliminate all doubt that the selection of Williams belongs on the list of HUGE donahoe blunders.

If Williams was such a blunder, who would YOU have taken with the pick?

McKinney? The guy's terrible and has a bad attitude to boot.

Trade down? Nobody wanted to trade up because the draft was considered weak (stories said that TD tried to trade down but couldn't find any takers).

Trade up for Joey Harrington? Yeah, that would've been great.

So who would you take?

You can't say a pick was a blunder if there's no other options. Besides, MW (when healthy) has played pretty well and has been nearly dominating in the run blocking arena.

CW

Not that anyone needed to be reminded, but I think we can now safely eliminate all doubt that the selection of Williams belongs on the list of HUGE donahoe blunders.  In no particular order, this is how I see the list (keeping in mind that this doesn't include all the mediocre draft picks):

1.  Mike Williams

2.  Gregg Williams

3.  Keeping Rob Johnson

4.  Trading a #1 for Bledsoe

5.  Letting Pat Williams go without an adequate replacement

Each one of these decisions has been a complete disaster.  Cumulatively they have put on on an express train to a 5-11 season in TD's FIFTH year.

Note that I am not including JP on this list b/c it's too soon to tell.  I am also not including other bad moves such as:

A.  Bennie Anderson

B.  Josh Reed

C.  Ryan Denney

D.  letting Peerless go without an adequate replacement

E.  failure to bring in quality players at offensive and defensive line

F.  keeping Gregg Williams around a year too long after it was clear that he was a loser

etc. etc. -- but only because I don't think the items on the 2nd list were individually as crippling as the items on the 1st list.

Donahoe must go.

499325[/snapback]

I am not going to argue many of these. But Not keeping Peerless. Yeah because a WR that has 3 catches this year in Dallas is a huge loss over Willis McGahee...

McKinney?  The guy's terrible and has a bad attitude to boot.

Trade down?  Nobody wanted to trade up because the draft was considered weak (stories said that TD tried to trade down but couldn't find any takers).

Trade up for Joey Harrington?  Yeah, that would've been great.

So who would you take?

You can't say a pick was a blunder if there's no other options.  Besides, MW (when healthy) has played pretty well and has been nearly dominating in the run blocking arena.

CW

499404[/snapback]

Dwight Freeney was picked #11 that year.

Jeremy Shockey was #14.

Ryan Sims was #6.

Roy Williams was #8.

John Henderson was #9.

Albert Haynesworth was #15.

Javon Walker was #20.

Ed Reed was #24.

Kendall Simmons was #30.

So there were plenty of good players available. Obviously no one can predict the future -- or we would've taken Freeney or Henderson. But I am not making $1 million per year to take the right guy for the bills. TD is.

Mike Williams is probably going to get cut this year, after 4 years of waving to pass rushers as they sped by him into our backfield and $25 million or so of Ralph's money that could've been much better spent.

Donahoe must go.

I am not going to argue many of these.  But Not keeping Peerless.  Yeah because a WR that has 3 catches this year in Dallas is a huge loss over Willis McGahee...

499438[/snapback]

McGahee is much better than Peerless. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I don't think we should've kept Peerless at the salary he was looking for, and TD deserves credit for creatively using the franchise tag to get the #1 in exchange for him.

However, in deciding to let him go, we needed another receiver to replace him. TD figured we could just plug in Josh Reed -- much the same way he figured this year we could just plug in Ron Edwards and/or Tim Anderson for Pat Williams -- and the result was a disaster. The offense that year was unwatchable. There was no one to stretch the D, so everyone keyed on Moulds, and then he got hurt, and Bledsoe completely disintegrated.

Donahoe must go.

Is it possible that the move to the left side is to get him comfortable before possibly switching him to LT. The Left Guard position could be the first step...

NO! Will never ever happen...

Unless you want to outfit the Bills with disposeable QBs.

F.  keeping Gregg Williams around a year too long after it was clear that he was a loser

499325[/snapback]

Not defending GW, but how is a coach a "loser" as you so eloquently when his team went from 3-13 to 8-8 in his second year? So TD should have fired him after the team went 8-8, showing a 5 game improvement?

McKinney?  The guy's terrible and has a bad attitude to boot.

Trade down?  Nobody wanted to trade up because the draft was considered weak (stories said that TD tried to trade down but couldn't find any takers).

Trade up for Joey Harrington?  Yeah, that would've been great.

So who would you take?

CW

499404[/snapback]

Dwight Freeney

JDG

I live in Indy and Freeney was widely considered a reach at 11...  Yes he has worked out great but if I get a copy of tomorrows paper I can make a killing on Wall Street today..

499513[/snapback]

Fair enough. I can't completely absolve Tom Donahoe on this basis, though, since the definitions of "reaches' are formed by the NFL GM's themselves. If Donahoe had called up his buddy Len Pasquarelli at ESPN.com and said "keep an eye on that Freeney kid (sic) from Syracuse", then Freeney would not have been considered to be such a "reach" when the Colts (or Bills) took him.

JDG - Who of course has at least 5 posts in the TBD archives before that draft advocating taking Freeney....