Bills Strategy for 2nd Half of Season

Taro T

Now that the Bills have reached the midpoint and bye week, what will their focus be during the last half of the season?

They have no realistic chance at a wild card, but they still might believe they can win the division only being 1-1/2 games back. I don't see them being able to win the division, as they will probably need to go 6-2 to get there. I think it's still a reach if 8-8 is good enough to win.

I expect and hope that they will play Losman at quarterback. I'd like for them to give him some more experience now that the playoffs are very unlikely. At the very least, they should have a better idea of what he might be able to do for them next year. If NE loses next week, does that sway the thinking at OBD and they go with Holcomb?

What other changes do people see over the next 8 games?

I hope Jerry Gray gets away from blitzing so much, but don't hold out much hope for that happening.

Maybe Bennie finally gets to take a seat while Preston gets some action?

Now that the Bills have reached the midpoint and bye week, what will their focus be during the last half of the season?

They have no realistic chance at a wild card, but they still might believe they can win the division only being 1-1/2 games back.  I don't see them being able to win the division, as they will probably need to go 6-2 to get there.  I think it's still a reach if 8-8 is good enough to win.

I expect and hope that they will play Losman at quarterback.  I'd like for them to give him some more experience now that the playoffs are very unlikely.  At the very least, they should have a better idea of what he might be able to do for them next year.  If NE loses next week, does that sway the thinking at OBD and they go with Holcomb?

What other changes do people see over the next 8 games?

I hope Jerry Gray gets away from blitzing so much, but don't hold out much hope for that happening.

Maybe Bennie finally gets to take a seat while Preston gets some action?

492456[/snapback]

We're right on the cusp of conflicting goals between the fan base and the management team. Surely for the Head Coach and his primary people there is only a win now motive since a 6 win season will almost surely spell "changes". Our management has left us a shell of a roster in comparison with the top 1/3rd of the league and they are also feeling the pressure to win now. I'd think it would be the fan base, unless ownership jumps onboard, providing the push to give Losman the QB reps. The lesson Losman was supposed to be learning (sit in the pocket under all circumstances and let plays develop) has been absorbed to whatever degree you can get it from the pine; it's probably time to say get back in there and play some games. But I expect Mularkey to feel he has a better chance of winning more games with Holcomb.

1. Change defensive approach, maybe not overpursuing and giving up big running plays would be a start.

2. Stick with Holcumb until he proves otherwise that you shouldnt. Seriously, who cares if he isnt a big time prospect? he is 32, and he has never really gotten a chance to play long term. Let him play. And make JP EARN the spot going forward, just dont throw him the keys without a open competition in 2006.

3. Get Roscoe Parrish more involved in the offense.

4. Incorporate more deep passing plays into playbook, especially for Lee Evans.

2. Stick with Holcomb until he proves otherwise that you shouldnt.  Seriously, who cares if he isnt a big time prospect?  he is 32, and he has never really gotten a chance to play long term.  Let him play.  And make JP EARN the spot going forward, just dont throw him the keys without a open competition in 2006.

492734[/snapback]

That makes a lot of sense. That challenge would be better for JP - it'd push him a bit.

1. Change defensive approach, maybe not overpursuing and giving up big running plays would be a start.

2. Stick with Holcumb until he proves otherwise that you shouldnt.  Seriously, who cares if he isnt a big time prospect?  he is 32, and he has never really gotten a chance to play long term.  Let him play.  And make JP EARN the spot going forward, just dont throw him the keys without a open competition in 2006.

3. Get Roscoe Parrish more involved in the offense.

4. Incorporate more deep passing plays into playbook, especially for Lee Evans.

492734[/snapback]

I would definitely like to see #1 happen, but don't see Gray going along with it.

I was surprised in the offseason when they just gave the starting job to JP and didn't make him compete with Holcomb for it. I know they had made the decision when Bledsoe was still here, but for some reason I thought they might allow it to be a competition.

JP = 1-4

KH = 2-2

What's the difference? Not much. Why would JP competing for a job be so more beneficial? There's no logic there. Start the kid and let him develop or die. We have nothing to lose but a season that is all but lost already. We have nothing to gain but a quarterback fo the future. Which is the better upside.

If the veteran players don't like it, tell them to stop dropping passes, whiffing on blocks, and tackling like girls; then they can comment on someone elses position.

Here's an option which almost no one, "real" fan, or football person will like, (except me) because it hasn't real worked anywhere for any amount of time. But it might somehow work in the Bills' specific situation.

Alternating QB's. Both will start, well of course, only one will play at a time, but you perform well to keep in the driver seat. It will put alot of pressure on the QB's and the Coach, but something is needed to give the Bills an edge, practical or even just psychological. There will be widespread derision and the results will probably be mixed, but (if) when it works, it could really open up the offense.

So for instance, Holcomb starts and does well. A good balance with first downs coming from completed short to medium passes and a productive WM. The Bills score, you stay with Holcomb. Next offensive series, no dice. Next series, in comes JP (roars and applause). Rollouts, bootlegs. Yes, you want him to develop the pocket passing game but JP can do some damage with his legs and quickness, so tailor the play calling to suit his strengths, as you do with Holcomb. Whoever can get the job done stays in as QB. It's as simple as that.

You set up some trends and tendencies, then mix 'em up and keep the defense guessing. Now, JP's keeping in the pocket, while Holcomb still uses play action, but also the occassional rollout and looks for deeper stuff down field.

And of course, no matter who's the QB, the Bills are pounding the ball with WM and using more screens to punish the D for stacking against the run.

Normally, a given team's starting QB wouldn't like this system, but I think in the Bills' situation both are willing to do whatever it takes to win. (They will certainly publicly say they will do whatever is in the best interests of the team. It isn't such a clear no. 1 vs backup situation at the moment. JP was the starter and is projected as the longterm #1, while obviously, Holcomb is 1st choice now, but I think he would still appreciate the chance to be the equivalent of a half-season #1. JP gets absolutely essential playing time, sooner rather than later and Holcomb will still have ample opportunity to show he isn't necessarily a permanent backup. And again, whoever's hot will get the call and keep getting the call, unless, MM sees a particular situation he thinks the team came exploit with a specific QB. This would definitely give Mularkey a real coaching challenge and one I think he would relish.

Lastly, I would like to see the Bills coaching staff see if any of the players could be effective 2-way players in certain situations, like the Patriots do. I firmly believe in leveraging a team's talents to their maximum.

I know there's probably many, many reasons why this would be seen by almost all as a gimmicky gadgety experiment doomed to failure, but I see the potential for some exciting and intriguing offensive possibilities and I think it's worth a shot and a reasonable one at that; No trying it for a quarter or two. Two or three games, at least. Especially, if most feel that there may not be that many wins left on the schedule for the Bills. There is almost nothing to lose and alot of potential upside. I want to see it in action and I want to see the Bills with one of top 5 most exciting and productive offenses in the NFL.

The reasons why 32 year old Kelly Holcomb had only 12 career starts prior to this season have now been confirmed. Massive limitations. A good backup option.

It's time to get Losman some snaps and ready ourselves for 2006 and beyond. Short term goals = long term memory loss.

No one will remember beating the Jets at home 5 years from now. They'll remember the losing season and unrealized expectations.

Time to take a step back to possibly take 2 or 3 steps forward.

At 3-5, this isn't daytrading anymore... it's long term investing.