Path forward for 2005 season

Reality: 2-3 in the division and although maybe the equal to the Jets with no QB or Miami with no offense .. we are still highly unlike to make the playoffs or be over .500

Even if .500 and using Kelly at OB is that worth a year of Losman on the bench?

The defense and special teams are average at best compared to what we needed them to do to cover a rookie QB. The run defense is awful and the pass defence only looks god because no one needs to pass in the 2nd half as we are behind.

Running offense is based on the OL line and even Willis can't run on his own (best back in the league - what is he smoking !!!)

The OL is patch work at best, the DL is no better.

The play calling has no imagination after the first few series.

So why wait to have Losman learn under fire? Does it matter if we are 8-8 or 4-12? Either way we miss the playoffs?

People say that we have a decent chance to still make the playoffs - that would mean at least 9-7 so we have to go 7-4 the rest of the way. Who do we beat to get 7 wins ? Not many winable games let with this team. The first 5 were the most likely.

So I say start playing Losman .. even speel him with Kelly if he is out of control but then settle him down and send him in.

Otherwise we are still having a rookie NEXT year !!

Comments?

I agree. I think the sooner we dispell the illusion that we're a playoff team the better.

Lets just face it. We don't have the primary tools here to compete with the average teams in the league let alone the top teams. Put JP in, tell all the whining vets that want to win now, they can be traded, and finally bring in some quality personel for the offensive and defensive lines. Just write this year (what's left of it) and next year off as rebuilding and get the right people in here to have a solid young team with a future.

I'm sick of not rebuilding, but not getting better, but not preparing for the future. Taking it one game at a time and going in circles is all we've been doing for years. And I'm tired of my football season being over in November.

Reality: 2-3 in the division and although maybe the equal to the Jets with no QB or Miami with no offense .. we are still highly unlike to make the playoffs or be over .500

The defense and special teams are average at best compared to what we needed them to do to cover a rookie QB.  The run defense is awful and the pass defence only looks god because no one needs to pass in the 2nd half as we are behind.

Running offense is based on the OL line and even Willis can't run on his own (best back in the league - what is he smoking !!!)

The OL is patch work at best, the DL is no better.

The play calling has no imagination after the first few series.

So why wait to have Losman learn under fire? Does it matter if we are 8-8 or 4-12? Either way we miss the playoffs?

People say that we have a decent chance to still make the playoffs - that would mean at least 9-7 so we have to go 7-4 the rest of the way. Who do we beat to get 7 wins ? Not many winable games let with this team. The first 5 were the most likely.

So I say start playing Losman .. even speel him with Kelly if he is out of control but then settle him down and send him in.

Comments?

486503[/snapback]

we've had our differences but i agree with you. I didnt/dont see a point to going 9-7 with KH (a pipe dream at this point) as opposed to going 6-10 with losman...at least JP gets the exp under his belt...

Comments?

486503[/snapback]

Sshh.......You are not supposed to speak about that...Veteran WR Eric Moulds

will get Mad...because he needs to make catches.....He caught 5 catches for

39 yards with Kelly Holcomb as his QB......

I agree.  I think the sooner we dispell the illusion that we're a playoff team the better. 

Lets just face it.  We don't have the primary tools here to compete with the average teams in the league let alone the top teams.  Put JP in, tell all the whining vets that want to win now, they can be traded, and finally bring in some quality personel for the offensive and defensive lines.  Just write this year (what's left of it) and next year off as rebuilding and get the right people in here to have a solid young team with a future.

I'm sick of not rebuilding, but not getting better, but not preparing for the future.  Taking it one game at a time and going in circles is all we've been doing for years.  And I'm tired of my football season being over in November.

486513[/snapback]

I say tell all the whining vets its time to play for your job and it might not be here, it could be for your next team....Play hard now or sit the bench, I don't care who is under center they should be playing for their nfl lives regardless....That was my whole beef with benching JP before the home games after moulds crybaby routine.....Mularkey should have taken charge at that point and played anyone willing to play their ass off....Many of these vets will be out of a job come next september 1.....

your logic is sound... I won't quibble about your plan for this year, because this team is going nowhere.

2005, then, is supposed to be a setup for next year, right? Big problem!! Because 2006 is going ot be bad too. JP ain't going to transform simply by starting 9-12 NFL games. He's going to take 2 to 3 more seasons to develop.

So, going into 2006, Let's look at the defensive side of the football.

Vincent, Milloy, Adams, & Fletcher will all be a year older and 3 of those guys have visably shown that they've regressed. They are going to continue to regress next season. Wire, Baker, Bannon, Crowell are the backups at that position. 3 of those guys are career backup/journeymen at best and really aren't good ones anyway. Wire provides nothing but a warm body.

Posey is, well, nothing. We could lose him tomorrow and this bad defense would continue to be bad. He has zero impact one way or the other.

I believe Denney and Clements are free agents after the season... Denney, perhaps may be RFA. He's a backup, but he is a solid backup to have because he's shown durability as well as being solid against the run, always a threat to bat down a pass, and he's getting better as a pass rusher... plus he's not going to command $$$ to re-sign. Clements is going to break the bank. The Bills don't have a lot of options unless he's signed to creative, cap friendly deal over 10 years, back loaded and with a ton up front. Otherwise, either the Bills have to let him outright walk, or franchise him, which will automatically tie up mucho dinero of cap $$$ that will severely limit the FA aquisitions that they will be sorely needed. My take is that if he wasn't signed before the season, he won't be re-signed after... and he's done nothing to demonstrate that he's a lock down corner. McGee has shown to be the best player on defense besides TKO this year.

TKO... will he really be the TKO we know? The odds are against that. Please name me any defender that had a torn achilles and then come back the same as they were. Sam Cowart is an excellent example of what TKO will look like. Average... so this needs to be accounted for and compensted for.

So, basically the defense is going to regress further next year. The only thing that might plug that hole immediately is to bring in 2 DT studs in, 1 via free agency and 1 via the draft. But, doing that comes at the expense of sorely needed upgrades on the offensive line.

Mike Williams is a bust that they can't cut or trade. The absolute best value they can get out of him at this point is to line him up at RG (or LG). He'll have an easier time in pass protection, it will be easier to get him help, and easier to plug someone in when (not if) he gets injured. New Left and Right tackles are a must. One via free agency and one via the draft that will be plugged in immediately. A new center is a must, but it appears Preston will upgrade that position. Get rid of Ben Anderson and plug Giesinger or Villarial in at LG.

All this retooling is still gonna keep this team out of the playoffs in the 2006 season, and if Donahoe is not stripped of most of his player aquisition powers or fired, the Bills will never see another playoff game. This guy is a total fraud... period.

2005, then, is supposed to be a setup for next year, right?  Big problem!!  Because 2006 is going ot be bad too.  JP ain't going to transform simply by starting 9-12 NFL games.  He's going to take 2 to 3 more seasons to develop.

487044[/snapback]

and you know this how, oh great QB guru? I seem to recall eli only started 7 games last year, and looked absolutely terrible in doing so, but hes done decent this year.

your logic is sound... I won't quibble about your plan for this year, because this team is going nowhere.

Mike Williams is a bust that they can't cut or trade.  The absolute best value they can get out of him at this point is to line him up at RG (or LG).  He'll have an easier time in pass protection, it will be easier to get him help, and easier to plug someone in when (not if) he gets injured.  New Left and Right tackles are a must. One via free agency and one via the draft that will be plugged in immediately.  A new center is a must, but it appears Preston will upgrade that position.  Get rid of Ben Anderson and plug Giesinger or Villarial in at LG. 

All this retooling is still gonna keep this team out of the playoffs in the 2006 season, and if Donahoe is not stripped of most of his player aquisition powers or fired, the Bills will never see another playoff game.  This guy is a total fraud... period.

487044[/snapback]

Not so fast my friend!!!! We have Ben Sobieski waiting in the wings for the OL

and you know this how, oh great QB guru? I seem to recall eli only started 7 games last year, and looked absolutely terrible in doing so, but hes done decent this year.

true... Eli sucked, but...

#1... not only was this his first year in the league, it was also a totally new coaching staff.

#2... Coughlin is an experienced NFL coach that's been around the block. He knows how to utilize his personnel to the max (Malarkey does not). How else do you explain Rob Johnson and the 3rd stringer behind RJ having career days when they subbed for the injured Brunell when Coughlin was in Jax. Coughlin may never be able to get his team deep in the playoffs, but they will figure into the playoffs wherever he goes.

#3... Eli comes from some serious QB stock. JP does not even come close to having the mentorship that Archie and Peyton provide Eli. The Manning boys are students of the game... tape hounds. It's one thing to have the tools, it's another thing to use what you have... and the most important is football sense. The Mannings have it...

#4... The natural thought, when it comes to the young QB that plays for your favorite team, is that one tends to compare them with young QBs that are in the upper echelon and have succeeded quickly. ie, Rothlisberger, Manning, Palmer. No one wants to look at the other end of the spectrum like Boller, Carr, Harrington, Ramsey. We tend to think that "our guy" is on par with the former. But, be totally honest with yourself here... If JP Losman were wearing a Dolphin uniform the 1st 4 weeks he started this season and he got yanked for Frerotte, you and a lot of others would have labeled this kid a bust and the Dolphins were doomed. Therefore you'd have lumped JP with Boller, Carr, Ramsey etc., rather than Rothlisberger, Manning, Palmer.

No one can say how JP is going to turn out. But if we take anything from history, it's going to take him at least 3 years.

we've had our differences but i agree with you. I didnt/dont see a point to going 9-7 with KH (a pipe dream at this point) as opposed to going 6-10 with losman...at least JP gets the exp under his belt...

486516[/snapback]

right on . we gould get better on O as the year goes on with JP in the game . sitting means he still has to have game time at some point .