On the Goal-line

BuckeyeBill

It is 1st and Goal on the 1 yard line...

My philosophy is give the ball to McGahee 4 straight times (unless there is a severe loss). I hate the play-action, gadget moves when you are a foot away from the goal-line!! Buffalo does it quite often.

Another call I like is the quarterback sneak in that situation. I also think you go for it on 4th and an inch.

The situation on Sunday, the Bills were on the 1 foot line.

1st and Goal from the 1- Run with McGahee for no gain

2nd and Goal from the 1- Run with McGahee for no gain

3rd and Goal... tricky play action screen pass for a 5 yard loss.

4th down... we settle for a fieldgoal, only go up by 17... and Miami has momentum.

Does anybody else think the Bills should have run it up the gut on 3rd down with KH or WM, and EVEN IF there is no touchdown, do it again on 4th down?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 1st and Goal on the 1 yard line...

My philosophy is give the ball to McGahee 4 straight times (unless there is a severe loss).  I hate the play-action, gadget moves when you are a foot away from the goal-line!!  Buffalo does it quite often.

Another call I like is the quarterback sneak in that situation.  I also think you go for it on 4th and an inch. 

The situation on Sunday, the Bills were on the 1 foot line.

1st and Goal from the 1- Run with McGahee for no gain

2nd and Goal from the 1- Run with McGahee for no gain

3rd and Goal... tricky play action screen pass for a 5 yard loss.

4th down... we settle for a fieldgoal, only go up by 17... and Miami has momentum.

Does anybody else think the Bills should have run it up the gut on 3rd down with KH or WM, and EVEN IF there is no touchdown, do it again on 4th down?

473284[/snapback]

I think they went to the air after the fish stuffed us 3 times on a previous drive down there. Personally, I'll take 'em however they come, but yeah, I'd rather see them run. On one play (I don't remember which drive down there at the goal line), the near side was strong, and they overloaded. Miami responded by leaving the weak side wide open, and since the ball was on the near hash, there would have been a footrace to the pylon - and I'd take Willis' speed and stiff-arm down there in a minute.

I'm sure that the Bills will see that, and I'm sure our opponents saw them run to the strong side, so I'd expect, at some point and time, that Willis will get the opportunity to turn the sprint to the pylon into 6.

Have a running back than can leap?? Jump over the pile Willis.

473304[/snapback]

We were talking about that during the game - when's the last time anyone's seen an "up and over" play? I don't know why they (NFL teams in general) don't do it, but I can't remember the last time I saw that.

On first down, I'd line up in the short yardage package, I-formation. Give it to Willis and see if he can get it in.

If not, then on 2nd down, I'd line up te exact same way. Fake the hand off to Willis and look for the TE or receiver slanting to the pylon in the endzone. Possibly with the QB rolling out in the same direction (that of course depends on who the qb is).

If the reciever is not open, throw it over his head and out of the endzone. Then on 3rd down, I'd line up in a 4 or 5 wide reciever spread set and do a QB draw up the middle.

If you make it to 4th down FG, unless of course time is running out and you really need the touchdown. Then take it on 4th down and run Willis out off tackle.

A little power mixed in with a little deception, but not that cute, gimicky deception that gets you in trouble.

You run Willis every single time until they stop you four downs in a row. And then you run Willis again. Then and only then, do you start with the fakes and the gadgets. I sincerely doubt they could have stopped him four straight plays. And another thing, the ball at the one or the one foot line is a completely different animal than the ball at the two or three. Then you can call all kinds of things, or mix it up. But you should be able to get a yard running behind Anderson in four tries.

Sneak, sneak, Willis, Willis.

In no way would I kick the fg. Your just playing to lose and are sending the wrong message to your team.

I sure as hell wouldn't be passing the ball to a 400 lb. d-tackle or a pass into the flats to the fullback. They seem to love that pass to Shelton though. That would be the second play I take out of the playbook.

I said it Sunday to some friends and I'll say it today on the board. You run 4 straight times. if you cant get one yard from your running back and o-line you dont deserve to win the game. Out side the 5 is a different story- maybe you sprinkle in a pass but on the 1 or 2 yd line there is no excuse not to get in. 4 runs!

You run Willis every single time until they stop you four downs in a row. And then you run Willis again.

473361[/snapback]

I think you only get 4 shots at it, not 5. :doh:

I know what you're saying though. Give 'em 4 downs of Willis. I think the Bills braintrust outsmarts themselves too many times.

I would line up in the power I right with Sam Adams in the back field alongside Shelton and Willis as the tail. Lead Sam between C and RG, Shelton to follow, and Willis to follow. Try that two times in a row, if it does not score then JP bootleg and if that fails then I run a flea flicker :doh:

I said it Sunday to some friends and I'll say it today on the board. You run 4 straight times. if you cant get one yard from your running back and o-line you dont deserve to win the game.

473373[/snapback]

You must have been talking to Vince Lombardi; that was his philosophy. :doh:

... and I agree.

Pisses me off a power running team can't get a half yard.  Oh, and Damon Shelton is NEVER an option on the goal line.  I repeat, NEVER.

473286[/snapback]

Really. We have a FB who cannot open holes, cannot pick up a blitz and cannot rush, but he does make an occasional pass reception. :doh:

Is this rocket science??

I have been ragging on him since week one.

I think you only get 4 shots at it, not 5.    :doh:

I know what you're saying though.  Give 'em 4 downs of Willis.  I think the Bills braintrust outsmarts themselves too many times.

473374[/snapback]

I meant even if they stop you and you turn the ball over on downs. You do it the next time you're down there too. You don't give up with most backs, let along a strong guy like willis with a nose for the goalline. After they stopped us twice we should have done it again and again.