On the subjects of the continuing QB circus

First things first, reports out today are that MM refuses to tell the media which QB will be starting against the Jets. The reasoning is that this will keep our opponent guessing on how to gameplan against us. And the inference was that we could expect this type of uncertainty for the next few weeks if not for most of the season. In my opinion (which is probably similar to most of yours), this is not much of an advantage because,

A. We're not talking about Kemp vs. Lamonica here.

B. No QB, whatever his skills, could accomplish much behind this OL.

C. Would any NFL team honestly expect us to start JP coming immediately off of a KH-led win, especially considering that the team is still mathematically in the center of a playoff race?

Secondly, consider the team's current injury status:

We have 5 guys on IR:

LB Takeo Spikes

OL Ben Sobieski

OL Lawrence Smith

WR LaDaris Vann

LB Kellen Brantley

1 guy who is on his way to IR any time now:

DT Ron Edwards

2 more on the PUP list:

TE Kevin Everett

CB Kevin Thomas

3 role players who have been on the injury report for at least most of the season:

WR Roscoe Parrish

TE Tim Euhus

SS Coy Wire

2 key defensive starters who are playing in spite of nagging injuries:

MLB London Fletcher

SS Lawyer Milloy

And 3 OL who may not be playing at full strength, if at all, this Sunday:

LT Mike Gandy

RG Chir Villarial

RT Mike Williams

Something to think about, is my point...

Dude... Have you got a point here, besides something to simply think about? I mean, WTF am I going to do with this knowledge? Should I be crying, feeling sorry for myself, cutting the coach more slack, cutting Teflon more slack, should we be packing it in, should we be playing for next year instead of this year? Just what?

Dude... Have you got a point here, besides something to simply think about? I mean, WTF am I going to do with this knowledge?  Should I be crying, feeling sorry for myself, cutting the coach more slack, cutting Teflon more slack, should we be packing it in, should we be playing for next year instead of this year?  Just what?

473179[/snapback]

I don't know about you, but I appreciate the info, even if it does make me want to slit my wrists. :doh:

First things first, reports out today are that MM refuses to tell the media which QB will be starting against the Jets. The reasoning is that this will keep our opponent guessing on how to gameplan against us. And the inference was that we could expect this type of uncertainty for the next few weeks if not for most of the season. In my opinion (which is probably similar to most of yours), this is not much of an advantage because,

A. We're not talking about Kemp vs. Lamonica here.

B. No QB, whatever his skills, could accomplish much behind this OL.

C. Would any NFL team honestly expect us to start JP coming immediately off of a KH-led win, especially considering that the team is still mathematically in the center of a playoff race?

Secondly, consider the team's current injury status:

We have 5 guys on IR:

LB Takeo Spikes

OL Ben Sobieski

OL Lawrence Smith

WR LaDaris Vann

LB Kellen Brantley

1 guy who is on his way to IR any time now:

DT Ron Edwards

2 more on the PUP list:

TE Kevin Everett

CB Kevin Thomas

3 role players who have been on the injury report for at least most of the season:

WR Roscoe Parrish

TE Tim Euhus

SS Coy Wire

2 key defensive starters who are playing in spite of nagging injuries:

MLB London Fletcher

SS Lawyer Milloy

And 3 OL who may not be playing at full strength, if at all, this Sunday:

LT Mike Gandy

RG Chir Villarial

RT Mike Williams

Something to think about, is my point...

473156[/snapback]

neat...

Don't forget: Kevin Thomas just had surgery on his knee again last week. I wouldn't count on him playing this year.

Plus, Mike Gandy had an elbow injury in the game against Miami, but stayed in the game. Sorry, you got that.

Kind of looks like they may have to dress Geisinger to play at either tackle (he played LT in Vandy) or guard. They are running out of o-linement.

Mularkey may get his wish. A few weeks ago he said he would have replaced the entire o-line to get a spark if he had the players dressed.

Dude... Have you got a point here, besides something to simply think about? I mean, WTF am I going to do with this knowledge?  Should I be crying, feeling sorry for myself, cutting the coach more slack, cutting Teflon more slack, should we be packing it in, should we be playing for next year instead of this year?  Just what?

473179[/snapback]

Perhaps you could use your new found knowledge to formulate an articulate position?

473179[/snapback]

:doh:.

OK, well on the first subject, I think this is a bad idea of MM's to not publicly declare the starting QB. MM is already on the hot seat with the fans and media, and this only aggravates them more. The media affects the fans' perceptions to a degree, and the fans are the ones who buy the tickets and make the home field advantage an advantage. And speaking of "advantages," there isn't really any in terms of keeping opposing D's guessing on what our QB will do on offense. Take McGahee out of the game, and our O is finished no matter who is QB'ing them. Neither QB can hit the long ball, so the opposing game plan remains focused on beating our crappy OL with the front 4 DL while containing the first 10 yds with the back 7 LB's and DB's.

On the second subject of injuries, I guess you could say that this Bills team may not be quite as bad as they're playing since they've had an unusual number of injuries after only Week 5. I'm certainly no TD apologist - and neither are you- but facts should not be ignored, and the facts are that the OL, our Day 1 2005 picks, and some key components of our run-stopping D crew have been hit somewhat hard and early by the injury bug.

Mularkey may get his wish. A few weeks ago he said he would have replaced the entire o-line to get a spark if he had the players dressed.

473211[/snapback]

I already would have benched the entire O-line and started the 2nd stringers. Just to make the point.

Sometimes, you have to take one step back to take 2 steps forward.

When's the last time we had a tight end that wasn't made of glass, or in the case of Lonnie friggin' Johnson, rubber?

473336[/snapback]

About the last time we had an O-line. Too long.

Although Campbell seems like he wants to be average. So, I'm still hoping he can do something, anything.

When's the last time we had a tight end that wasn't made of glass, or in the case of Lonnie friggin' Johnson, rubber?

473336[/snapback]

In Mark Campbell's first season in Bflo, he caught a long ball up the middle in Jax and got absolutely lit up. His eyes were crossed, but he hung on, took one play off, and was back out on the next play.

That pretty much showed me all I needed to see to believe he's one tough SOB. He got hammered again a game or two later and hung on then too.

OK, well on the first subject, I think this is a bad idea of MM's to not publicly declare the starting QB. MM is already on the hot seat with the fans and media, and this only aggravates them more. The media affects the fans' perceptions to a degree, and the fans are the ones who buy the tickets and make the home field advantage an advantage. And speaking of "advantages," there isn't really any in terms of keeping opposing D's guessing on what our QB will do on offense. Take McGahee out of the game, and our O is finished no matter who is QB'ing them. Neither QB can hit the long ball, so the opposing game plan remains focused on beating our crappy OL with the front 4 DL while containing the first 10 yds with the back 7 LB's and DB's.

On the second subject of injuries, I guess you could say that this Bills team may not be quite as bad as they're playing since they've had an unusual number of injuries after only Week 5. I'm certainly no TD apologist - and neither are you- but facts should not be ignored, and the facts are that the OL, our Day 1 2005 picks, and some key components of our run-stopping D crew have been hit somewhat hard and early by the injury bug.

473330[/snapback]

1) KH....disagree here on the QB thing. Why name a starter now and let the Jets prepare for two (distraction).... I'm not saying it is a huge deal but ANY competitive edge should be utilized. The only thing naming a starter now would accomplish is to make fans happier.

2) Agree....we have played through some significant injuries. It's easy to B word about the O line but when we are starting 2 rookies and our LT is playing injured, a victory is pretty darned impressive, especially agains a GOOD defensive team. Our starting 5 have not played together since game 1....I think they should get a little more of a break..there is room to improve but they are not as horrid as everyone seems, rather there are several things going on that hinder the O (playcalling, young QB, etc)...

2) Agree....we have played through some significant injuries. It's easy to B word about the O line but when we are starting 2 rookies and our LT is playing injured, a victory is pretty darned impressive, especially agains a GOOD defensive team. Our starting 5 have not played together since game 1....I think they should get a little more of a break..there is room to improve but they are not as horrid as everyone seems, rather there are several things going on that hinder the O (playcalling, young QB, etc)...

473347[/snapback]

I could almost buy into this arguement except for one thing... when has our O-line ever displayed the ability to be good for an antire game, let alone 2 or more games in a row? So saying they're all injured doesn't buy them more time, if anything it points to one of the problems. MW may be the greatest lineman ever, but we'll never know because he can't seem to stay healthy.

Good players not only play good, but they also have to play. That;s how I see it, it's been years since we had a good line, because they're always injured and then the few games they're actually all playing they're pretty lousy to watch.

OK, well on the first subject, I think this is a bad idea of MM's to not publicly declare the starting QB. MM is already on the hot seat with the fans and media, and this only aggravates them more.

473330[/snapback]

Bingo Bingo Bingo.....we have a winner. You (and I am sure you did not even realize it) have answered your own question. MM is talking to the certain people in the media like imbeciles because, by and large, those certain people are. And he is purposely responding a certain way because it IS VERY VERY annoying to those people.

Honestly, don't you talk to certain people a certain way? We all do, I know when I am asked a dumb question by an even dumber person that is "fishing" I purposely think of the absolute least worthy answer and go with it. Kind of a verbal sparring.

The way MM talks to the media and how he reports out injuries is so not worthy of consideration. Though I am a big fan of his for how does handle himself with the media.

Seriously, why does MM have to earn the medias respect? For you, why is it not the medias responsibility to earn his respect?

Again, the Bills, TD, or even MM owe us "fans" absolutely nothing, nada, zippo, squat, jack, etc.

Why some people think they can control another person is sad. Very sad.

don't you talk to certain people a certain way? We all do, I know when I am asked a dumb question by an even dumber person that is "fishing" I purposely think of the absolute least worthy answer and go with it. Kind of a verbal sparring.

Example: Jerry Sullivan expecting him to name the starter 5 minutes after the last game...and getting pissy about it when he didn't......by the way, every day I play "pick the Sullivan" article...scroll the headlines on the drive and pick the most negative, whiny, etc. and am usually right....

I appreciate the info, but I am hesitant to make the "Woe is us" statement. If I wasn't so lazy, I would look at other team's injuries. I know the Pats have been hit hard. Additionally, the Jets will be starting a 41-year old deli owner this weekend because they lost both their #1 and #2.

I guess my point is, before we determine that we are sunk, we have to remember that this is the NFL, and you will not make it through a season without losing at least one impact player. And I think 99% of the players in the league are playing with a nagging injury.

I appreciate the info, but I am hesitant to make the "Woe is us" statement.  If I wasn't so lazy, I would look at other team's injuries.  I know the Pats have been hit hard.  Additionally, the Jets will be starting a 41-year old deli owner this weekend because they lost both their #1 and #2. 

I guess my point is, before we determine that we are sunk, we have to remember that this is the NFL, and you will not make it through a season without losing 1 impact player.  And I think 99% of the league is playing with a nagging injury.

473395[/snapback]

Yup. We're banged up, but like 18 penalties, it's all part of the game.

473330[/snapback]

this is actually pretty normal (well, slightly worse than normal). last year was abnormal. except for late season injuries to their mediocre tight ends and a five week stint for milloy, the bills didn't suffer any major injuries.

I will never understand why people give so much grief over the Bills keeping mum about team information. I live in New England where everyone worships at the alter of Bill Belichick. Bill is FAMOUS for not giving the press the time of day, much less team info. But he won 3 Super Bowls so Bill must know what he's doing, right?

Switch to the Bills. You have a coach that seems to be trying to emulate the Super Bowl champs in some small way, trying to follow their example. And people have a problem with that. I can hear you say..."when the Bills win 3 Super Bowls, they can do whatever they want!" But in the meantime the Bills have to kowtow to the demands of the press and fans, even if such information does give an opponent something useful.

I say STFU! Let Coach Mullarkey and Tom Donahoe do what they want, how they want. I don't lose sleep not knowing who the starting QB is, or if Roscoe Parrish is going to play Sunday. Think of it as Christmas, and we all get a big surprise on gameday.

PTR