OT - Any Bills fans in Montreal?

aussiew

Just found out I have to fly to Montreal on Sunday afternoon to deliver a proposal for my boss on Monday morning. Fly back Monday afternoon.

So I've got to miss my Bills game and spend the evening in a strange city with a bunch of Frenchmen. They only plus would be if there is any Bills fan in the area who would meet me for dinner (I'll treat) and fill me in on the game.

I went to Montreal this summer (got engaged there!) for the first time. If you get a chance and you like Polish food, try the Stash Cafe in Old Montreal. Excellent sausage, pierogies, cabbage, etc. For more upscale (AKA impress your boss) I recommend The Globe on St. Laurent.

I know you're going for business, but its a really nice city if you get a chance to explore it.

Saint Catherines Street is really fun and an nice place to walk around. Lots of restauraunts and bars. Its pretty rockin, very clean and very safe. Mcgill University is on that street and its a beautiful college. The expos play on that street too I think. Club Supersex is a great strip club too- thats on St Catherines as well <_<

didn't there used to be a guy named "marc in montreal" who posted here?

34466[/snapback]

I'm sure "Marc in Montreal" will check in sooner or later. He's still around. I live in Montreal and watch games with him more often than not at Champs. Aussiew, if you get in by 4:00 Champs is on St Laurent just below Duluth - very easy to get to - essentially downtown though not in the biz district. I will definitely be there and I imagine "Marc" will probably be there too. Can't do the dinner thing, but I'd be happy to give you any advice you need. I've been here three years and love it beyond belief. Montreal is a fabulous, fabulous, friendly city. Have fun!

I just got back from Montreal about a week ago. I visit every year. Montreal is a very cool city and living proof that Northern cities can flourish despite the weather. So Buffalo too can rebound without any excuses or proclamations from those around the country that say Buffalo is done.

Most likely you will arrive at Dorval airport which is now officially known as Pierre Trudeau Airport. You can take a shuttle bus that will take you directly into Centre-Ville, otherwise known as downtown. The bus ride takes about twenty minutes to get into downtown and sometimes will drop you off directly at your hotel. When and if you buy a ticket for the shuttle bus, I recommend buying a round trip ticket as you will save a few dollars. The round trip cost of the shuttle is $21.75 Canadian. They sell the tickets at a little booth outside the terminal. English is understood but use of bonjour, bonsoir, a bientot, s'il vous plait and merci etc., is appreciated by the locals.

The game starts at about 4:00 EST. Champs on St Laurent is a great atmosphere for football and other sports especially soccer. In fact, they usually ask you upon entering which game you wish to watch and they will then try to seat you near a screen showing the game. Read: stadium seating!!! If you wish to go by taxi, Champs is on the south (left) side of the street if coming from the city's main street which is St Catherine. Champs can be identified by a small bright red awning at it's entrance. The bar offers both food and drink but it is very smoky as Les Quebecois love, and I mean love to smoke! The downtown area has tons of bars, restaurants (very ethnic), coffee shops and shopping. The city's subway system has a series of shopping venues collectively known as "The Underground City". The pizza is affordable and very good.

Web site for Champs:

http://www.champssportsbar.ca/

Web Site for Montreal Tourism:

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp

Web Site for Montreal Cams:

http://www.montrealcam.com

Web Site for ex-Centris Movie theater:

http://www.ex-centris.com/

(The theater is also on St Laurent and offers primarily foreign and French speaking films.)

Have fun, travel safe and Go Bills!

Wow - you have all been so helpful - thank you. Unfortunately, I don't land until about 7pm. So by the time I get into the city the game will probably be over. I guess I'll have to use the business center in the hotel and log onto TBD. AS a woman travelling alone, I wouldn't feel secure wandering around. But will try to do some exploring the next morning.

And if any of my new pals on the board want to copy the game onto a DVD for me, I'd be happy to pay costs and postage.

Wow - you have all been so helpful - thank you.  Unfortunately, I don't land until about 7pm. So by the time I get into the city the game will probably be over.  I guess I'll have to use the business center in the hotel and log onto TBD. AS a woman travelling alone, I wouldn't feel secure wandering around. But will try to do some exploring the next morning.

And if any of my new pals on the board want to copy the game onto a DVD for me, I'd be happy to pay costs and postage.

34563[/snapback]

I'm an hour and a half away so if you have any questions just pm me.

I'm sure "Marc in Montreal" will check in sooner or later. He's still around. I live in Montreal and watch games with him more often than not at Champs. Aussiew, if you get in by 4:00 Champs is on St Laurent just below Duluth - very easy to get to - essentially downtown though not in the biz district. I will definitely be there and I imagine  "Marc" will probably be there too. Can't do the dinner thing, but I'd be happy to give you any advice you need. I've been here three years and love it beyond belief. Montreal is a fabulous, fabulous, friendly city. Have fun!

34513[/snapback]

Can you tell me anything about non-residents buying property in Canada? I noticed a lot of condo projects in Montreal. Are there any legal obstacles for Americans trying to buy homes in Montreal?

Thanks!

Wow - you have all been so helpful - thank you.  Unfortunately, I don't land until about 7pm. So by the time I get into the city the game will probably be over.  I guess I'll have to use the business center in the hotel and log onto TBD. AS a woman travelling alone, I wouldn't feel secure wandering around. But will try to do some exploring the next morning.

34563[/snapback]

Ask Fezmid. I'm sure he's archiving all of this year's game like last year. I know I'd like a copy of that Jaguars game for further inspection.

I forgot, unlike in the rest of Canada, in Quebec you can buy beer at the corner stores and the grocers. I recommend Labatt's Wildcat available in stores in 1.5 liter size and at potencies of 7, 8 and 10%. Then again there is always Molson Brador.

Also, there are Tim Horton's donuts...

Donuts, beer and the Bills.

Got my flight changed but still won't land until 5:15pm. I'll cab it to Champs on St. Laurent for the end of the game.

Whoever is there, please save me a seat. My pic is my Avatar so you'll know who to watch for.

34777[/snapback]

Barring and semi-unpredictable turn of event, I will be at Champs with "Last Guy On the Bench". We'll keep you a seat and answer all of your Mtl queries.

PS: If you have very little time I recommend just walking around in the Old City (Vieux-Montréal). Bring a jacket, it's been pretty warm the last few days but it's not suppose to last.

Marc in Montréal

(Go Impact !)

Can you tell me anything about non-residents buying property in Canada?  I noticed a lot of condo projects in Montreal.  Are there any legal obstacles for Americans trying to buy homes in Montreal?

Thanks!

34589[/snapback]

Mtl as been enjoying a residential "boom" the last 5-7 years (altough not to the same extend as Vancouver or TO) and home-ownership as well as prices are still on the rise. The bubble is not expected to bursts soon but might deflate in say a year or two.

There are many non-residents who are home-owners in Mtl and around and quebec regions. Im not an expert but I wouldnt expect many legal obstacles for buying a home here. Try the official Canada website. My guess is that if you can pony up the $$$ for something of private nature, pretty much anything will be yours.

Marc in Montréal

(Go Impact !)

Mtl as been enjoying a residential "boom" the last 5-7 years (altough not to the same extend as Vancouver or TO) and home-ownership as well as prices are still on the rise. The bubble is not expected to bursts soon but might deflate in say a year or two.

There are many non-residents who are home-owners in Mtl and around and quebec regions. Im not an expert but I wouldnt expect many legal obstacles for buying a home here. Try the official Canada website. My guess is that if you can pony up the $$$ for something of private nature, pretty much anything will be yours.

Marc in Montréal

(Go Impact !)

35120[/snapback]

Thanks Marc! There seems to be condos popping up all over Centre-Ville. San Diego is doing the same thing but the prices are astronomical. I am considering a place that is safe as I would be a part time occupant. One difference is that the Canadian Post Office charges $3 per week to hold one's mail. Not a bank breaker of course but an interesting difference. Oh yeah, good luck to your Montreal Impact in the championship!

http://www.montrealimpact.com/news.asp?no_id=318

One more thing Aussie, I don't know if you are a runner or not but there is this beautiful park, Mont-Royal that offers trails to walk or run (uphill). The park is on the west side of l'avenue du Parc (Park Ave.) between l'avenue du Mont-Royal and l'avenue des Pins. A good starting point is right next to a statue / monument of Sir George-Étienne-Cartier. The park is very close to Champs.

Marc is right about Old Montreal, it is worth checking out.