Mularkey's decision to play starters longer

smuvtalker

Okay guys, this is my first official "real" post, so I hope its worthy..

In regard to Mike Mularkey's decision to play the starters longer than most teams do, especially in the last preseason game...I just don't agree with it.

I know he's saying he wants the offense to get into a rhythm, and wants JP and the starters to gel just a bit more, but I think it's a foolish decision. I really don't think that another half of play is enough to convince everyone that all of a sudden the offense has gelled, and that all is well. The bottom line is that with a "rookie" QB, we are going to have some bumps and bruises along the way, and that the timing thing will only come in, well, time.

I think Mularkey should do like the great majority of the other coaches, and play the starters a series, maybe two, and sit them down.

I'm a glass half-full person, an eternal optimist if you will, but I just am scared to death of us sustaining an injury to a key player the week before the opener. And do you realize how the media will absolutely tear Mularkey down if something like that happens?

Go Bills

In regard to Mike Mularkey's decision to play the starters longer than most teams do, especially in the last preseason game...I just don't agree with it. 

I know he's saying he wants the offense to get into a rhythm, and wants JP and the starters to gel just a bit more, but I think it's a foolish decision.  I really don't think that another half of play is enough to convince everyone that all of a sudden the offense has gelled, and that all is well.  The bottom line is that with a "rookie" QB, we are going to have some bumps and bruises along the way, and that the timing thing will only come in, well, time.

I think Mularkey should do like the great majority of the other coaches, and play the starters a series, maybe two, and sit them down. 

I'm a glass half-full person, an eternal optimist if you will, but I just am scared to death of us sustaining an injury to a key player the week before the opener.  And do you realize how the media will absolutely tear Mularkey down if something like that happens?

Go Bills

425830[/snapback]

Im for it!!! WHATEVER it take to get this team rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know he's saying he wants the offense to get into a rhythm, and wants JP and the starters to gel just a bit more, but I think it's a foolish decision.  I really don't think that another half of play is enough to convince everyone that all of a sudden the offense has gelled, and that all is well.  The bottom line is that with a "rookie" QB, we are going to have some bumps and bruises along the way, and that the timing thing will only come in, well, time.

I'm a glass half-full person, an eternal optimist if you will, but I just am scared to death of us sustaining an injury to a key player the week before the opener.  And do you realize how the media will absolutely tear Mularkey down if something like that happens?

Go Bills

425830[/snapback]

Hard to say. I'd think at this point, there would be only a few spots in question.

Go Bills

425830[/snapback]

I agree--nothing to be gained by increasing playing time...but but I'm not too worried. I think what MM means is playing a series into the third, which JP has done a few times. My guess is if we see any semblance of a running game, the offensive starters will be out at half. And I doubt the defensive starters go into the second quarter.

By the way, smuvtalker, what part of Pittsburgh do you live in? I just moved to Pittsburgh (fox chapel area) about two weeks ago.

Go Bills

425830[/snapback]

Resting the starters is alright with me. However, I'd like to see the offensive line play at least 3 quarters.

I don't think this move will do anything but help us, unless of course there is an I...... (won't tempt fate and use that word) to any starter after the first series. The only reason teams don't play starters any longer than they have to in week 4 is for fear of that I-word. But to all of you who come here Saturday morning and flame MM's move because a player gets injured on the first play of the game, i will tell you right where i think you can and should go.

I'd play McGahee only a series, as that's where most of our hope lies for this season. Losman and the OL the entire first qtr. The receivers only a coupel of series and see what JP does with them in. Then bring in the backups to see what they can do with the starting QB until the end of the 1st qtr. After that the WRs deal with Holcomb.

Defense only the 1st qtr. Thats my thoughts, I know its not going to get the team in any kind of rhythm, but that doesn't really happen in a preseason game anyway.

Hard to say. I'd think at this point, there would be only a few spots in question.

425838[/snapback]

Yup. It's one of those deals where there's no problem provided there are no injuries at key positions. IF there should be an injury, the benefit of hindsight would tell us it was foolish, but we won't know for sure until then.

BTW, welcome aboard smuvtalker. :blink:

Everyone but McGahee on offense needs the work. Injuries happen and the regular season is not a time to be working out the kinks. Although playing against Detroit's 2nd team defense probably isn't worth the injury risk. However, if Detroit is playing their starters on D, the offense minus McGahee needs all the work it can get.

I agree--nothing to be gained by increasing playing time...but but I'm not too worried. I think what MM means is playing a series into the third, which JP has done a few times. My guess is if we see any semblance of a running game, the offensive starters will be out at half. And I doubt the defensive starters go into the second quarter.

425849[/snapback]

I was thinking something similar too. If the starting O scores in the late 1st qtr or early 2nd, I think MM will sit them down. As for the D, I think you will see 2nd stringers in after the second defensive series.

By the way, smuvtalker, what part of Pittsburgh do you live in? I just moved to Pittsburgh (fox chapel area) about two weeks ago.

425849[/snapback]

I live right in downtown Pittsburgh. I wanted to be as close to work as possible. I am able to walk to work in the mornings, but because I live towards the top of a friggin hill, I catch the shuttle back in the evenings.

I plan on watching all or most of the games this year at Damon's. I hear there's a Bills Backers group that watches all Bills games at the Damon's on McKnight Road...I may give it a shot..

I live right in downtown Pittsburgh.  I wanted to be as close to work as possible.  I am able to walk to work in the mornings, but because I live towards the top of a friggin hill, I catch the shuttle back in the evenings. 

I plan on watching all or most of the games this year at Damon's.  I hear there's a Bills Backers group that watches all Bills games at the Damon's on McKnight Road...I may give it a shot..

425886[/snapback]

I lived in SW PA for 11 years. Hills are everywhere. Pitt and CMU students get a bunch of exercise.

I'm all for the starters playing a half or more. Exception- give Willis 6-7 touches and yank him. Also, I think they should mix in some of the second string with some starters, but they shouldn't give the second stringers who have already made the team too much burn. Let the guys on the bubble play-

Let the young bucks play for their jobs! I love watching special teams in the 4th preseason game. Dudes either make the team or get a chump job like the rest of us. They go all out and it's great to watch.

Moulds, Evans, and McGahee should play one or two series., same with most of the D "stars". On ST leave in Lindell and Moorman, but pull the starting return men early.

The unit that needs to gel is rest of the offense.

But what do I know anyway.? :blink:

I'm a glass half-full person, an eternal optimist if you will...

You would not be a Bills fan if you were not an optimist. <_<