Louisville, KY

KevinVT

to Louisville.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the area?

417647[/snapback]

I go there on business fairly often. I like it, although it isn't my kinda place to live. Too many friggin Baptists. :-)

Downtown is doing well, and there is good college football there. Winters aren't too bad.

For a smaller city, it's pretty nice.

Great college basketball and football - UL is going to the Big East, so you'll get to see some quality sports. Not to mention, you're only 100 miles away when the Bills come to Cincinnati to play the Bengals on 12/24.

And on the other hand, prepare to see your wages/salary take a dive.

I'll admit that it's sometimes difficult to get by here, and for some people it's damn near impossible. I'm trying to eek it out. But one thing I'll never do is leave this kind of climate and nature. I could maybe see myself going to Memphis or Milawakee, but I think the only reason people live in the South is because they have jobs there. ;)

I grew up there..Born in Buffalo, moved as a kid to Louisville, moved back to Buffalo, probably moving back down south in a year or two ( not Louisville though ).

Louisville as a city is growing rapidly. Downtown is OK, not great. Buildings are very nice ( much nicer than Buffalo ), but there isn't much to do as far as shopping, etc. ( not very differnt from Buffalo ).

The weather during the summer SUCKS..I mean SUCKS BALLS. Louisville is located in the Ohio valley, so all the dirt/smog gets stuck over the metro area, therefore the air is HORRIBLE and HUMID. 90 degrees and enough humidity to cut with a knife..YUCK...

Winters are just about as cold as Buffalo, but very little snow.

Race relations are a mixed bag. The burbs has a much higher integration rate than a city like Buffalo but there are MANY places not to go if you are white or black. There are some hardcore gang bangers in a few parts of the metro area ( Raceland mall area, downtown, west Louisville, Bashford mall area ), and out Dixie Highway from the Louisville area to Fort Know is RED NECK HEAVEN!!! YEHAAAAAAA

The job market is decent. IMHO better than the Buffalo area ( of course ), but not as booming as NC, SC, Atlanta, Denver, Las Vegas, etc.

Jefferson County Public Schools are pretty good...Private schools are EXCELLENT - Trinity, St. X for the boys and Assumption + Sacred Heart for the gals.

Sports are H O R R I B L E unless you like college basketball. UofL vs UofK is always fun. County folk like the Cats and city folk like the birds. Football isn't a big deal and hockey?? AHHAHAHAHA Forget it....

Cost of living: Housing is VERY expensive compared to the Buffalo area. A decent $75,000.00 home in say Cheektowaga would go for double that in Louisville. Newer homes average $175-$200 grand.

Taxes are lower.

Metro government..None of this BS that is in Erie county.

Police force is VERY active in pulling people over, unlike say Buffalo city proper ( picture say Kenmore police EVERYWHERE ).

Jeffersontown and Fern Creek would be two middle class areas I would look into ( I grew up in Fern Creek ).

St. Matthews and surround area is BOOMING, but houses are $250k easy...

Derby time is fun. HUGE airshow, ballon race, steamboat races, parade, and of course the Derby itself....FUN TIME.

Like I said, my family will probably be moving in a few years, but NOT to Louisville...It's not that its a bad place, but it is VERY VERY boring. No Canada, no NFL, no NHL, no winter sports ( ok, a little skiing in Indiana, but nothing compared to here ).

If you need to know anything else please let me know..

Thanks for the feedback. If we go we will be bringing our CT salaries with us so that in itself is a great incentive. I grew up in St. Louis so I really don't mind the summers. I love winter but would not mind a much shorter winter and longer summer. Taxes here in CT are ridiculous, I just can't see a reason why we would not go if the offers come through as expected. I don't consider KY part of the south, it is a mixed bag. Louisville is either the southern most northern city or the northern most southern city. Looks like we will be looking at JTown or a bit west of that. Thanks again for the feedback.

Sports are H O R R I B L E unless you like college basketball.  UofL vs UofK is always fun.  County folk like the Cats and city folk like the birds.  Football isn't a big deal and hockey?? AHHAHAHAHA  Forget it....

417717[/snapback]

They had an AHL team there for two years, the Louisville Panthers. They went out of business. That should tell you everything you need to know.

PTR

They had an AHL team there for two years, the Louisville Panthers.  They went out of business.  That should tell you everything you need to know.

PTR

417762[/snapback]

Wish the UHL team in Richmond would go out of business. No promotions outside of the fact the players get $50 for getting in a fight. Get this, they just signed a 300lb and a 400 lb goon to skate with em. Can you see a 400 pound guy going up and down the rink?

Damn, what diet did he go on?

417845[/snapback]

I grew up in Louisville and have just moved back here from South Bend, IN after completing grad school. I would say South Bend is as close to Buffalo as you can get weather wise, and Louisville's weather is much nicer than that. Actually, the weather here is exactly like St. Louis' weather.

Also, its actually a very Catholic town b/c of all the french traders that settled here (hence the name after King Louis XIII of France). Catholic schools (much like St. Louis) are prolifereated around town and ususally very good compared to public options. Outside of Louisville its not so catholic.

One of the greatest college sports town in the country. The people here are crazy about UL & UK. Also, I can guarantee the pace of work will be much slower for you here than in CT and you'll spend much less time commuting as well. The town here is very easy to get around (15-30 mins. from one side of town to the other).

Finally, i've never lived in Buffalo at all, but my parents (both from there) have bred a love of all things Buffalo into me. I recognize that Beef on Weck is the world's greatest sandwich and that the Batavia endzone party blows the Cleveland dogpound out of the water. In Louisville, I've identifed the few (2-3) wing places in town here which I think could even remotely compare to authentic Buffalo wings like you'd get at Duff's, Anchor Bar, Barbill in Elma, etc. My point is just b/c you may live in Louisville, you don't have to miss Bills games and if you look you can find little pieces of Buffalo all around.

I grew up in Louisville and have just moved back here from South Bend, IN after completing grad school.  I would say South Bend is as close to Buffalo as you can get weather wise, and Louisville's weather is much nicer than that.  Actually, the weather here is exactly like St. Louis' weather. 

Also, its actually a very Catholic town b/c of all the french traders that settled here (hence the name after King Louis XIII of France).  Catholic schools (much like St. Louis) are prolifereated around town and ususally very good compared to public options.  Outside of Louisville its not so catholic. 

One of the greatest college sports town in the country.  The people here are crazy about UL & UK.  Also, I can guarantee the pace of work will be much slower for you here than in CT and you'll spend much less time commuting as well.  The town here is very easy to get around (15-30 mins. from one side of town to the other).

Finally, i've never lived in Buffalo at all, but my parents (both from there) have bred a love of all things Buffalo into me.  I recognize that Beef on Weck is the world's greatest sandwich and that the Batavia endzone party blows the Cleveland dogpound out of the water.  In Louisville, I've identifed the few (2-3) wing places in town here which I think could even remotely compare to authentic Buffalo wings like you'd get at Duff's, Anchor Bar, Barbill in Elma, etc.  My point is just b/c you may live in Louisville, you don't have to miss Bills games and if you look you can find little pieces of Buffalo all around.

418122[/snapback]

Did you go to high school in Louisville? I went to Fern Creek, class of 87.

Remember Bashford Manor Mall? Hickory Farms? That was one of my families stores ;)

I have lived in Louisville all of my life and Talonz pretty much hit the nail on the head. The worst thing about the city in my opinion is the weather. In the summer it is so humid you can barely breathe when you go outside. It is also horrible if you have allergies. I currently live in Fern Creek and like the area very much. The south end by Dixie Hwy is full of rednecks. The West end/Downtown is full of thugs and has a high crime rate. The East end is where the wealthier people live. You will pay a lot more for housing, but the public schools are a lot better there. Fern Creek has more blue collar middle class people. Really nice folks in my opinion.

I have lived in Louisville all of my life and Talonz pretty much hit the nail on the head. The worst thing about the city in my opinion is the weather. In the summer it is so humid you can barely breathe when you go outside.  It is also horrible if you have allergies. I currently live in Fern Creek and like the area very much. The south end by Dixie Hwy is full of rednecks. The West end/Downtown is full of thugs and has a high crime rate. The East end is where the wealthier people live. You will pay a lot more for housing, but the public schools are a lot better there. Fern Creek has more blue collar middle class people. Really nice folks in my opinion.

418489[/snapback]

What part of Fern Creek?

Hard to believe how bad the area around Raceland and Bashford Manor is isn't it?