So, isnt Gandy the same as drafting a OL in

Why isnt he? Gandy was taken 6th overall in the 3rd round in the 2001 draft. Jonas Jennings was in fact taken later than Gandy. Now Richie Incognito, and Evan Mathis were taken in the same round but later in this years draft.

Now, Gandy is a 4 year pro and has the following resume:

2003: Started career-high 14 games at LT, including the first 13 of the season, while missing 2 games to injury ... Made first career opening-day start at SF (9/7) ... Made 24th consecutive start at GB (12/7), but left game in 4th qtr. due to shoulder injury ... Inactive Games 14-15 due to shoulder injury, but returned to start season finale at KC (12/28).

2002: Made his NFL debut for the Bears 4 weeks into the season and went on to establish himself as a starter at 2 different positions over the final 11 games of the campaign ... Started at LG Games 6-10 before moving to LT for Games 11-16 ... Inactive for the first 2 games before being active for the first time in his career vs. NO (9/22); active but DNP ... Made NFL debut at BUF (9/29) on special teams ... Subbed for injured LG Rex Tucker vs. GB (10/7) ... Took over starting LG position with first NFL start at DET (10/20) ... Moved to LT when Marc Colombo was lost for the year to injury and made first career start at the position vs. DET (11/24) after never having played the position before at any level during his career.

So, why would many rather draft a rookie in round 3 than have a guy who was drafted as a G but has clearly shown the ability to play at LT. That type of switch is not common and is often a tough one to make. The guy started 14 games at the same time that Anthony Thomas ran for 1024 yards in just 13 games.

If I had a choice between a rookie in the 3rd and this guy at LT, this guy wins hands down. In fact, I would only take a LT over this guy if he were a high 1st rounder this year.

Do I think hes the next Orlando Pace, NO. But is he the next Jonas Jennings? Probably!

jsut because he started, doesnt mean hes above average. from what i hear he is average. he would be a very good backup.

and i think for 1 season, i would rather have a 4 year vet, over a 3rd round rookie draft pick. teh vet can come in and add to the team right off the bat. while a rookie has to adapt to the NFL. and it usually takes a year or 2.

and i DO NOT want to see a 3rd round rookie starting at Left OT.

jsut because he started, doesnt mean hes above average. from what i hear he is average. he would be a very good backup.

and i think for 1 season, i would rather have a 4 year vet, over a 3rd round rookie draft pick. teh vet can come in and add to the team right off the bat. while a rookie has to adapt to the NFL. and it usually takes a year or 2.

386949[/snapback]

exactly my take. I think behind McNally though Gandy could be above average this year.

exactly my take. I think behind McNally though Gandy could be above average this year.

386950[/snapback]

The onus is on the player to perform with guidance from the coaching staff.

Do not put the burden on McNallys shoulder....He does not go out and play

the game.

I think the Bills are figuring that Gandy will one of two things well enough. First JMac sems to see something specific he believes he can improve in Gandy's play which will allow him to perform at the same or better level than he performed for the Dears when Thomas ran for a bunch of yards.

2nd, I think he figures that Gandy's voice is good enough that when he does get beat he will yell LOOKOUT at the top his lungs and JP who is far more mobile than Bledsoe will scamper out of the way or at least duck and cover for the coming blindside hit.

Can't have an All-Pro at every position.  In many positions you're only going to have average players.

True, but you also don't want an average player at such an important position.

As for my feelings on Gandy, I think he'll be fine. He played LT in Chicago with little coaching or talent around him. He has that in Buffalo. My only major concern is with injuries.

Gandy is more of a known quantity that a third in this years draft would be. Some third rounder this year might turn out to be an all pro, but another one might be a bust. Gandy is something in between. He probably still has some upside if he can lick the injury bug. If he can't he will be a career backup at best.

Found this interesting...

Mike Gandy Stats

Jennings Stats

Gandy has a higher sack frequency at LT, but he also has a little less penalty frequency than Jennings. Both lack elite durability. Its not that much of a downgrade if you do the stats comparison...plus this doesn't factor in the run -- which was never Jonas' strong suit.

So, why would many rather draft a rookie in round 3 than have a guy who was drafted as a G but has clearly shown the ability to play at LT. That type of switch is not common and is often a tough one to make. The guy started 14 games at the same time that Anthony Thomas ran for 1024 yards in just 13 games.

If I had a choice between a rookie in the 3rd and this guy at LT, this guy wins hands down. In fact, I would only take a LT over this guy if he were a high 1st rounder this year.

386943[/snapback]

Sure, he'll be better this year than a 3rd round rookie LT, but the question is whether the coaches think he has the same room for improvement in the years ahead as a rookie. (I have no opinion as to that.)

I think the Bills are figuring that Gandy will one of two things well enough. First JMac sems to see something specific he believes he can improve in Gandy's play which will allow him to perform at the same or better level than he performed for the Dears when Thomas ran for a bunch of yards.

You are giving Gandy way too much credit. When he started in Chicago at LT, he flat out SUCKED! I cannot overstate this enough. If you are only hoping for the same level of play that he displayed ain Chicago, it will not be very good.

That is not to say JMac cannot improve his level of play. But that is a must, not a bonus - we simply cannot have Gandy performing at the same levels or this team will SUFFER.

2nd, I think he figures that Gandy's voice is good enough that when he does get beat he will yell LOOKOUT at the top his lungs and JP who is far more mobile than Bledsoe will scamper out of the way or at least duck and cover for the coming blindside hit.

387059[/snapback]

I think that's the funniest thing I've read from FFS since I started coming here many years ago.

Time to climb out on the limb.

By the end of preseason Dylan McFarland will be ahead of Gandy on the OT depth chart.

Now this is not necessarily a vote of confidence in McFarland. I don't think Gandy is going to start, & once "Drum" Gandy is benched, I'd say it's 50-50 he doesn't even make the team.

I remember last year at this time there was a lineman who was #1 on the depth chart at LG-Mike Pucillo. Gandy is this year's Pucillo.

To losmanera:

By your original post's logic, (before they cut him) Tampa Bay's signing of Akili Smith was equal to getting the 3rd pick in the NFL draft.

Once a player is cut (like Gandy was in Chicago) his value is the same as signing any street free agent, the player's value isn't equal to his original draft position.

386949[/snapback]

how about an undrafted 2nd year guy - Jason Peters?

386943[/snapback]

This year Gandy might win out but long term we might be better off with a rookie. As a rookie would likely have more upside than the likes of Gandy.

Bart--you gonna let these guys trash a domer like this? Come on man. Where are you? :P

I am founding the an organization called GGAC

Jim McNally and Tom Donahoe are charter members...

GGAC=GIVE GANDY A CHANCE...

Bart--you gonna let these guys trash a domer like this?  Come on man.  Where are you? :P

I am founding the an organization called GGAC

Jim McNally and Tom Donahoe are charter members...

GGAC=GIVE GANDY A CHANCE...

387531[/snapback]

I'm founding the organization DRUM (my official nickname for Mike Gandy)

Defenses

Runaround

Underachieving

Mike