Going to Chicago with the wife...

We ordered Cubs tix for the weekend series vs the D-Backs....any suggestions on restaurants (steak or seafood pref.) Is it worth going up in the Sears Tower? Any gin mills in town that would suit a Buffalonian (massive draft beers for less than 10 bucks) :angry: Any other suggestions or must sees?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago is a kickass city and one of my favorites! I am going in August. There are so many great neighborhood bars everywhere. Chicago is one of the friendliest citys in the world and the people remind me of Buffalonians. Bleachers at Wrigley for a day game is the #1 to do. Wrigleyville is a great section of the city and there are many great bars and restauraunts in that area. Rush and Division is where the late night clubs are and you should check that area out too. I recomend some Blues and Jazz Bars(Buddy Guys is a good one), some steaks, some deep dish pizza, some gyros(best gyros in the world!) and brats, Second City for comedy. I will get some specific names for you later(my sister lives in Chicago and I forget names). Taste of Chicago starts next week- maybe that will be going on while you are out there. Navy Pier is worth checking out and I believe they have fireworks everynight there in the summer. The magnificent mile is a must see. The Shedd Aquarium is one of the best in the world and it is in a complex with 4 or 5 other world class museums. Chicago is fairly affordable compared to any other city. Have a great time! If you have any questions shoot me an email and I will try and help you

We ordered Cubs tix for the weekend series vs the D-Backs....any suggestions on restaurants (steak or seafood pref.) Is it worth going up in the Sears Tower? Any gin mills in town that would suit a Buffalonian (massive draft beers for less than 10 bucks)  :angry: Any other suggestions or must sees?

368464[/snapback]

One of the greatest cities in the US. Restaurants:

Pizza - East Side Marios - great deep dish - takes time to cook so you can get liquored up. Original Pizzaria Uno's is kind of cool, but always a wait.

Italian / Steak - Harry Careys

All Around - My favotite in Chicago - The Weber Grill - Everything cooed on Weber grills - food is amazing. Good scene and some good people watching...

Stay away from the Italian Village - too touristy.

thanks for the tips so far.....writing as much of this down as I can

368735[/snapback]

I'm actually moving to Chicago come October, so while I don't have any first hand experience, I can point you to my favorite Chicago Website. If you can't find something there that suits your tastes, you aren't trying.

I personally think you get a better view from the top of the Hancock tower than Sears (Hancock is farther north, right in the middle of the Magnificent Mile, and there's more things to see on the north side). For pizza I'd go to Gino's on Rush.

Chicago is a kickass city and one of my favorites!  I am going in August.  There are so many great neighborhood bars everywhere.  Chicago is one of the friendliest citys in the world and the people remind me of Buffalonians.  Bleachers at Wrigley for a day game is the #1 to do.  Wrigleyville is a great section of the city and there are many great bars and restauraunts in that area.  Rush and Division is where the late night clubs are and you should check that area out too.  I recomend some Blues and Jazz Bars(Buddy Guys is a good one), some steaks, some deep dish pizza, some gyros(best gyros in the world!)  and brats, Second City for comedy.  I will get some specific names for you later(my sister lives in Chicago and I forget names).  Taste of Chicago starts next week- maybe that will be going on while you are out there.  Navy Pier is worth checking out and I believe they have fireworks everynight there in the summer.  The magnificent mile is a must see.  The Shedd Aquarium is one of the best in the world and it is in a complex with 4 or 5 other world class museums.  Chicago is fairly affordable compared to any other city.  Have a great time!  If you have any questions shoot me an email and I will try and help you

368474[/snapback]

This is outstanding advice, and I would only add one thing: Chicago has some of the best Italian food in the country. Been a while for me so I can't recommend anything, but you really should ask around. And definitely plan to stay up late and hit some jazz clubs. You just never, ever know who is going to show up.

I'm actually moving to Chicago come October, so while I don't have any first hand experience, I can point you to my favorite Chicago Website. If you can't find something there that suits your tastes, you aren't trying.

368757[/snapback]

There is a great neighborhood festival going on that weekend - I would recommend heading just a little south of Wrigley after the game to the "Taste of Lincoln" in the Lincoln/Fullerton area. A couple blocks of city streets blocked off with multiple stages for bands, food, bars lined up and down the street, great "sightseeing" etc. Of course all the touristy things are fine, but this is a nice "little" neighborhood gathering.

Chicago is a kickass city and one of my favorites!  I am going in August.  There are so many great neighborhood bars everywhere.  Chicago is one of the friendliest citys in the world and the people remind me of Buffalonians.  Bleachers at Wrigley for a day game is the #1 to do.  Wrigleyville is a great section of the city and there are many great bars and restauraunts in that area.  Rush and Division is where the late night clubs are and you should check that area out too.  I recomend some Blues and Jazz Bars(Buddy Guys is a good one), some steaks, some deep dish pizza, some gyros(best gyros in the world!)  and brats, Second City for comedy.  I will get some specific names for you later(my sister lives in Chicago and I forget names).  Taste of Chicago starts next week- maybe that will be going on while you are out there.  Navy Pier is worth checking out and I believe they have fireworks everynight there in the summer.  The magnificent mile is a must see.  The Shedd Aquarium is one of the best in the world and it is in a complex with 4 or 5 other world class museums.  Chicago is fairly affordable compared to any other city.  Have a great time!  If you have any questions shoot me an email and I will try and help you

368474[/snapback]

All good suggestions. A couple of corrections and some more suggestions. The taste of Chicago ends after 4th of July weekend. The fireworks at Navy Pier are only on Wednesday and Saturday night (10:15).

Go to the Cubby Bear or Murphy's before the game. The Cubby Bear is across the street from Wrigley and Murphy's is across the street behind the center field wall. Try to take the Red Line Train to Wrigley (or some other public transportation). Don't worry. It is safe. Parking is bad.

The whole area around the Shedd aquarium is great to walk and to bike (especially in the summer). Soldier Field is near there. Try a boat tour. You can usually get one on Michigan Avenue near the Wrigley building or at Navy Pier. I you like steak, try Morton’s, Gibson’s, or (my favorite) The Chicago Chop House. They are pricey but good.

I will be at the Friday game against the DBacks with some Buffalo buddies. Have a great time!

Cruise the blues clubs along North Halsted -- great music in a very Chicago tradition.

Have ribs someplace. Ribs in Chicago are like wings in Buffalo -- there are so many good places around that the bad ones don't last. Carson's is a dependable chain all around town, but don't be afraid to try a place that looks like a hole in a wall. Robinson's for Ribs on the North Side at least used to be pretty good.

As someone else said, you MUST try either the Cubby Bear or Murphy's before your Cubs game.

yes I am....

369911[/snapback]

Excuse me sir, you are with the club?

No, I'm here with the Underhills.

The Underhills? They already left Seor.

Oh they'll be back. Ted went out for his urinalysis.

thanks for the tips...anyone on TBD from the Chicago area??

369909[/snapback]

I am. I'm amazed whenever I walk around with my Bills colors on how many people stop me to show their support for the Bills as well <_<

The neighborhood festival I mentioned is about 8 blocks south of Wrigley, and within the confines of that party are two Bills bars - Lincoln Station and Delilah's (which I believe is owned by a guy from OP). There may be a crew of Buffalo fans hanging around the Lincoln Station since they serve kick ass Vodka/Lemonades and it's usually pretty hot, but I'd say in late July you'd be hard pressed to find a Bills friendly conversation at any other establishments.

If you end up in this area I'll probably wear a white Bills hat so you know you're in friendly territory! Not sure if this is your first and only trip to Chicago, but this is more of a local event and I can understand if the wife wants to see some of the more famous city attractions.