(OT) I will be coaching my

I will start out as an Asst Coach.....in a class called "Midgets" 12,13, and 14 year olds

12 and 13s can weight up to 175 pounds

14s can weigh 160 pounds

It will be the team my son is on....but I will be coaching offensive line....he is going to play either Fullback or TE

This weekend there is going to be a youth skills camp hosted by the local high school for those ages.....so myself and the other coaches will be out looking at the kids.....I was actually going to have my son skip this camp as he has been getting a lot of one on one training this offseason....but the HC wants him there and he is the boss......

I actually didn't realize the work involved in this when I took it on....the HC's and staff have to attend a lot of clinics in order to be able to coach these kids.

I am looking forward to this season....last years wasn't a very pleasurable one but lucky for us Brett has either outgrown the problems and they stayed down at the lower division or certain problems are now too old for JAAF and had to move onto high school.

It looks like I will still get my share though.....it wasn't that long after I was named an assistant I got hit up at the gym by both dad AND mom of one of the starters last year.....basically telling me where their kids best position was and where he was going to play.......

I have a horrible confession to make.....it made me damn good to tell this set of parents that their 120 pound kid would probably not be a great fit on a line of 150-170 pounders (this kid couldn't contain inside when he WAS in the same weight class as the other linemen) and basically told them "I am not the head coach and he makes the final decisions....but if it were up to me he would play where I think he best fit and he is going to have to earn a starting spot this year" this infuriated them (good way to get started huh?)

I had a chance to go over the sign up lists on Tuesday nights meeting.....

We only have one kid who is really really close to those limits....a 13 year old ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEY POUND KID....in order to make the team he is going to need drop 15 friggen pounds.....he probably wont make it but I cant wait to see what he looks like....

The majority of the kids range from 120 - 140.....we have some 150 somethings and one 160 something....

My kid weighed in at 143 the other day at 13 years old.....

I had a chance to go over the sign up lists on Tuesday nights meeting.....

We only have one kid who is really really close to those limits....a 13 year old ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEY POUND KID....in order to make the team he is going to need drop 15 friggen pounds.....he probably wont make it but I cant wait to see what he looks like....

The majority of the kids range from 120 - 140.....we have some 150 somethings and one 160 something....

My kid weighed in at 143 the other day at 13 years old.....

360559[/snapback]

My boy is 13 and ways 197 lbs. He is also 5'10''. Yes he is fat, but he also is just BIG.

BTW- he has a friend who has just turned 14 and is 6'4" and 320 lbs...

I coached YMCA basketball one year for my sons team and I'd never do it again! I love the kids and enjoy teaching them the game, but even at the YMCA the parents were A-holes. Make sure that you draw that line with the parents and don't let them effect you. Good luck!

Jeff

My boy is 13 and ways 197 lbs. He is also 5'10''. Yes he is fat, but he also is just BIG.

BTW- he has a friend who has just turned 14 and is 6'4" and 320 lbs...

360698[/snapback]

Unfortunately he wouldn't be able to play in this league without cutting a LOT of weight.....but he should be set for High School....

Remember to be respectful to the refs. I was surprised how many coaches B word at the refs, trying to get some bad calls to go their way... I had one game where the coach (who was also a ref - obvioiusly not in this game though...) was hounding me all day, saying things like, "They're holding my guys at the line," "This isn't the NFL, they can't bump and run," and stuff like that. I explained the rules to him a couple of times, but he told me I was wrong (because he knew I was new). He got so abusive that I finally turned around and told him that the next time he said something to me, I'd throw a flag on HIM instead. He was pissed, but kept his mouth shut (although did complain to his assistants).

After the game he met me in the parking lot and appologized for his behavior and admitted he was trying to influence me. :unsure::angry:

Anyway, moral of the story - be nice to the refs.

CW

I coached YMCA basketball one year for my sons team and I'd never do it again! I love the kids and enjoy teaching them the game, but even at the YMCA the parents were A-holes. Make sure that you draw that line with the parents and don't let them effect you. Good luck!

Jeff

360817[/snapback]

That is actually one of the big reasons I am getting involved this year.....

I have been through two years of watching parent coaches take over teams and putting their kids into starting two way positions because they think they are stars and didn't like the last years coaches decisions....last year was especially tough for my son because he not only got screwed in playing time.....but the HC blocked his move to another team (with a coach that wanted to start him immediately) just because the two HC's didn't like each other......this coach basically gave us 2 options....ride the pine and play 2 plays a game or quit...regardless of how well he was doing in practice......

One game in particular (and there were many that fit this description) we were down by 3 points.....my son comes into the game for his 2 plays (fullback) on the first play he leads up into the hole and obliterates the linebacker coming to fill....the ball carrier runs all the way to the 10 yard line.

One the next play he stays in for blitz pickup on the pass......he stands up a defensive end that would have sacked our QB...the QB gets the pass off (a wobbly duck) which manages to make it to the receiver...the receiver is trying to keep his feet moving with 2 tacklers on him.....my son runs from his blitz pickup spot to wipe out one the tacklers...the runner breaks free and scores....we are now up by 3.....kicker misses extra point.......

I dont know man...it was almost like the coach of the offense (his son is the starting fullback) thought he better get his kid back out there before people start wondering why the offense is always sputtering.....AND he calls a play for his son (there was fricken ONE MINUTE left to go in the game....we could have just kneeled on the ball) a lateral pass to the fullback.....and you guessed it....the fullback drops it.....a defender picks it up and scores....we lose.

Now.....as these coaches are not professionals you could forgive them for mistakes in games....but this was a COMMON occurance....what was even more puzzleing was that the scout team offense and defense would stalemate the starter O and D a lot more then they should have.....anybody who knows anything about youth football knows that your starting O and D should be winning these battles.......and the coaches never seemed to get the fact that something might be amiss.......

I basically dont want to make the same mistakes I have seen.....I will coach because I am just sitting there doing nothing anyway.....but I made it very clear that I want my son to EARN his spot....and that I dont want to be coaching his position......the staff is much reduced from years past...and NONE of the other coaches have kids on the team.......

Looking forward to a good season

Don't these kids know they're supposed to wait until after they turn 30 to start getting huge? Heck, when I was in high school, I weighed about 210 during football season and 195 during track season. These kids are around 150-175 @ 12 and 13 years old??!

I have a horrible confession to make.....it made me damn good to tell this set of parents that their 120 pound kid would probably not be a great fit on a line of 150-170 pounders (this kid couldn't contain inside when he WAS in the same weight class as the other linemen) and basically told them "I am not the head coach and he makes the final decisions....but if it were up to me he would play where I think he best fit and he is going to have to earn a starting spot this year" this infuriated them (good way to get started huh?)

Rule #1 is to ignore the parents. :angry:

I basically dont want to make the same mistakes I have seen.....I will coach because I am just sitting there doing nothing anyway.....but I made it very clear that I want my son to EARN his spot....and that I dont want to be coaching his position......the staff is much reduced from years past...and NONE of the other coaches have kids on the team.......

361033[/snapback]

Good luck and have fun! :unsure:

That is actually one of the big reasons I am getting involved this year.....

I have been through two years of watching parent coaches take over teams and putting their kids into starting two way positions because they think they are stars and didn't like the last years coaches decisions....last year was especially tough for my son because he not only got screwed in playing time.....but the HC blocked his move to another team (with a coach that wanted to start him immediately) just because the two HC's didn't like each other......this coach basically gave us 2 options....ride the pine and play 2 plays a game or quit...regardless of how well he was doing in practice......

One game in particular (and there were many that fit this description) we were down by 3 points.....my son comes into the game for his 2 plays (fullback) on the first play he leads up into the hole and obliterates the linebacker coming to fill....the ball carrier runs all the way to the 10 yard line.

One the next play he stays in for blitz pickup on the pass......he stands up a defensive end that would have sacked our QB...the QB gets the pass off (a wobbly duck) which manages to make it to the receiver...the receiver is trying to keep his feet moving with 2 tacklers on him.....my son runs from his blitz pickup spot to wipe out one the tacklers...the runner breaks free and scores....we are now up by 3.....kicker misses extra point.......

I dont know man...it was almost like the coach of the offense (his son is the starting fullback) thought he better get his kid back out there before people start wondering why the offense is always sputtering.....AND he calls a play for his son (there was fricken ONE MINUTE left to go in the game....we could have just kneeled on the ball) a lateral pass to the fullback.....and you guessed it....the fullback drops it.....a defender picks it up and scores....we lose.

Now.....as these coaches are not professionals you could forgive them for mistakes in games....but this was a COMMON occurance....what was even more puzzleing was that the scout team offense and defense would stalemate the starter O and D a lot more then they should have.....anybody who knows anything about youth football knows that your starting O and D should be winning these battles.......and the coaches never seemed to get the fact that something might be amiss.......

361033[/snapback]

John,

I have 2 boys that played sports, and the worst part of youth sports is the parents role in the game.

It came to a point were I would drop my kids off, deny myself the joy of watching them compete, just so I didnt have to listen to all the BS that comes from the parents .

My older son had a championship hockey game, they were the top seeds going in. For some reason they were just not prepared mentally for the game, and lost.

As the teams were going through the traditional handshake, one of the fathers from the winning team, yells out, "you buncha freekin losers", or something to that effect.

Well, my son, hearing that, looked up at the guy, and flipped him the bird. Of course, the ref was standing by and saw that. Suspending him from playing in a fun season ending All Star game. Now I go nuts, my sons coaches go nuts and this turns into an all out cursing and "almost confrontation between the offending parent and my self.

So Instead of his son remembering the day his team won the championship, his son will remember the day his father opened his big mouth and ruined the day.

As I recall, 12-13 year olds in the Ken-Ton football league had a 120 or 125 lb limit. 175 is huge compared to that! What the hell are they feeding these kids?

360542[/snapback]

yep...any higher than that and it's a freakin' safety concern....120 is the limit for "juniors" and 175 for "seniors" in my son's league.