Kansas City Royals, Chiefs concede loss in stadium sales tax vote

10 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I'm not sure that's how it works. Players pay income tax where they play. For instance, if the Bills play in California, they pay income tax in California. I'm not sure how it would affect players if they would need to pay both Kansas and Missouri income tax in that case, but *if* that stadium was moved to Kansas (seems extremely unlikely), they players would pay Kansas income tax for each game played there. If they lived in Missouri and had pay there too (I don't believe they would).. I'd suspect that most players would move to the Kansas side.

Usually what happens if you work out of state/area you pay the the income tax where business exists and then [ay difference between business area income tax and local income tax but it depends partly upon state-to-state agreements.  In case of DC  the District wants to desperately to tax out of DC workers but attempts to DC  have been blocked in congress repeatedly.  It also depends on how long you work out of state for I was warned if If I stayed in California too long I would have started paying CA income taxes.

In sports you usually ae paid per game so you pay wherever you earn the money rather than than weekly/biweekly/monthly as some are paid so you pay in location game is held whether it is in East Rutherford NJ, or Orchard Park, NY or Kansas City, Mo.

32 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

No 52%, Yes 48%

https://www.kctv5.com/video/2024/04/03/jackson-county-votes-no-new-royals-stadium/

Before vote polling company stated vote favored approval by 1% with a good portion undecided.  Vote raised percentage of people participating in vote and those against approval were much better at organizing supporters as opposed to supporters who relied on star power.

58% No, 42% Yes. It wasn't close.

Part of the reason they were combined because Arrowhead was going to expand to area where baseball teal is and baseball team was going to get a new stadium.

Chiefs can now come up with NEW plan without anchor of KC Royals affecting their plan.  Some were adamant about new downtown stadium due to other things it would affect like the library and lack of parking expecting walking/metro to make up parking spots lacking.  There were also tailgating issues with downtown stadium.

5 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Strongly disagree with all of this.

The Missouri side being nicer has little to nothing to do with the sports teams.  It goes back to the 1800s when - quite simply - it was easier not to cross the river and the land on the Missouri side was considered better.  This led to the growth of the Missouri side of the river and post war, spurred development of suburbs on the Kansas side of the river with the growth of the Interstate highway system.

Even if both teams move, players will still choose to live wherever they want and generate income tax for their respective state.  The airport isn't going to move to the other side of the river.  The downtown isn't going anywhere.  Visiting teams and tourists will continue to fly into MCI and those who want to visit the city will continue to do so.

The current stadium setup - where both are literally in the middle of nowhere, have their own highway exit, and provide little in the way of economic benefit to the immediate surrounding area, creates questionable economic benefit in the first place.  Why not let Kansas foot the bill for the stadiums while you can reap all the associated economic benefits?

how can you literally be in the middle of nowhere?

I guess KC didn't learn from their other Missouri team, who left even though they were drawing people and competing for championships. Championships don’t guarantee you a team, but it does guarantee that the team will push for stadium upgrades. 

I lived in Kansas City back in the 1990s, Overland Park, KS to be precise.  Went to Chiefs and Royals games.  Both of those stadiums were built around the same time as Highmark and are located away from downtown.  Good access to I -70 but it's not a great area of town.  Curious to see how this plays out. 

Chiefs fans in many ways are similar to Bills fans.  They love their team, love to tailgate, they come from all over the region, and many of them are hard working folks who aren't flush with cash.

Funny enough, Patrick Mahomes is part owner in the Royals and would likely make a ton of money if they moved to a bigger market with a new stadium. And no state income tax in Texas (Austin, San Antonio) or Florida (Orlando).

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

So where are the Royals going to go? Nashville? San Antonio/Austin? Oakland just for giggles?

Salt Lake City is potentially an option; the Utah legislature just passed some bills aimed at luring a MLB team here.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Funny enough, Patrick Mahomes is part owner in the Royals and would likely make a ton of money if they moved to a bigger market with a new stadium. And no state income tax in Texas (Austin, San Antonio) or Florida (Orlando).

Can Mahomes play for a NFL team located in a different city than an MLB team he owns?

Lets hope the answer is no

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Most people don't know that Kansas is only a 1/2 mile away. And that Cincinnatis airport is in Kentucky.

I worked with someone who was from KC, She lived on State Line Road.  She was in Missouri and the kids across the street lived in Kansas.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Can Mahomes play for a NFL team located in a different city than an MLB team he owns?

Lets hope the answer is no

I believe he would have to move to Hamilton and the Patriots would get a 3rd round comp pick

• Haha (+1) 1

Lots of comments on here about just everything but the core issue. Isn’t it possible that given the current state of the economy/inflation people simply voted not to tax themselves right now?

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Usually what happens if you work out of state/area you pay the the income tax where business exists and then [ay difference between business area income tax and local income tax but it depends partly upon state-to-state agreements.  In case of DC  the District wants to desperately to tax out of DC workers but attempts to DC  have been blocked in congress repeatedly.  It also depends on how long you work out of state for I was warned if If I stayed in California too long I would have started paying CA income taxes.

In sports you usually ae paid per game so you pay wherever you earn the money rather than than weekly/biweekly/monthly as some are paid so you pay in location game is held whether it is in East Rutherford NJ, or Orchard Park, NY or Kansas City, Mo.

Why are we trying to make taxing more complicated than it already is?