Schein-Cook is on his "guaranteed to improve" list

TBBills Fan

I think we have the "right" Cook!

When you lose a fumble on your first NFL carry, you get buried. That's what happened to Cook, who coughed up the football on his first snap of the nationally televised Kickoff Game against the defending champion Rams. The Bills wound up winning in blowout fashion, 31-10, but it took a while for the rookie to get back into the regular rotation. In fact, he didn't log 20 snaps in a game until December. However, he sprinkled in plenty of promise as a runner and receiver. And with last year's leading rusher (Devin Singletary) now in Houston, Cook is a prime candidate for a Year 2 breakout.

Freshly minted Madden cover boy Josh Allen is a dynamic MVP candidate, but he needs more balance in the offense. Veterans Damien Harris, Nyheim Hines and Latavius Murray can have roles in the backfield rotation, but Cook needs to be the straw that stirs the drink. It's why Buffalo took him in the second round of the 2022 draft. He has explosive potential as a playmaker in Ken Dorsey's offense.

https://www.nfl.com/news/which-nfl-players-will-improve-in-23-dak-prescott-james-cook-kyle-pitts-among-gu

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

Going to be a break out year for Cook…. 2 TEs and James cook in the backfield will be a matchup nightmare for defenses. 

I agree!  We can be a matchup nightmare.....Dorsey has the ingredients, so I  think the he is under the most pressure of anyone at OBD

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Going to be a break out year for Cook…. 2 TEs and James cook in the backfield will be a matchup nightmare for defenses. 

Hey if they put Kincaid in as the slot receiver can they put in 2 tes beside him as well making it a 3 te set?  Just curious if there's anything preventing that formation.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Hey if they put Kincaid in as the slot receiver can they put in 2 tes beside him as well making it a 3 te set?  Just curious if there's anything preventing that formation.

It’s sort of like going five wide. It would be an empty backfield.

12 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Nothing stopping them from doing that. I doubt we see much of that though

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

In theory, yes they could.

5 OL

3 TE

1 QB

That leaves 2 spots open for a mixture of WR or RB.

The issue for me is to do that Kincaid would basically be WR2 in the slot with another WR and a RB. Gabe Davis is (by far) our best run blocking WR so if we are going heavy and giving the allusion of a run play it makes sense for Davis to be the WR. Teams do key on personal and who is out there. 

So this would be taking Diggs out for a TE3...and that's not a good move IMO. The other possibility would be no RB...but that kind of makes having the 3 TE set pointless.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In theory, yes they could.

5 OL

3 TE

1 QB

That leaves 2 spots open for a mixture of WR or RB.

The issue for me is to do that Kincaid would basically be WR2 in the slot with another WR and a RB. Gabe Davis is (by far) our best run blocking WR so if we are going heavy and giving the allusion of a run play it makes sense for Davis to be the WR. Teams do key on personal and who is out there. 

So this would be taking Diggs out for a TE3...and that's not a good move IMO. The other possibility would be no RB...but that kind of makes having the 3 TE set pointless.

I was thinking Diggs wr1., 3 tes. Knox Kincaid and whoever they keep besides those two at te, then cook as rb.  For everybody crying that Davis isn't a legit wr2 then the above could be a formation they could use to unsettle a defense if it seems they are getting into a groove.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

I was thinking Diggs wr1., 3 tes. Knox Kincaid and whoever they keep besides thosec2 at te, then cook as rb.  For every I ne crying that Davis isn't a legit wr2 then the above could be a formation they could use to unsettle a defense if it seems they are getting into a groove.  

The idea to keep a defense off balance means not being able to tip your hand. If Diggs is out there it's still pass 1st.

We can go back to last season and when the Bills went into run sets Diggs did come out for Davis as a run block option. In any event whoever our TE 3 is would be a step down from Diggs or Davis being on the field IMO.

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I think it can happen. Dorsey needs to get creative. Think Baltimore has used 3 TEs formations over the last few years….

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The idea to keep a defense off balance means not being able to tip your hand. If Diggs is out there it's still pass 1st.

We can go back to last season and when the Bills went into run sets Diggs did come out for Davis as a run block option. In any event whoever our TE 3 is would be a step down from Diggs or Davis being on the field IMO.

True we don't have a 3rd te that's gonna be better than Diggs or Davis.  Just think it be nice for them to have some plays designed with that formation just to have it in the bag.  Could maybe use it for some reg season short yardage plays with enough success that opponents would bite hard in post season on stopping short yardage pickup situation but they just go deep to open Diggs or screen to Kincaid if he's wide open with open field ahead.

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

I think it can happen. Dorsey needs to get creative. Think Baltimore has used 3 TEs formations over the last few years….

Hope he starts having some slight variations to plays we excell at then if a defense Linda blows up that play you can go back to that formation with some variation that could go for big yardage.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I think the Patriots ran that kind of thing in their hey days.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

Em, 13 personnel is a fun option, but unlike Baltimore in 2019 who had the horses, we have Morris and not sure if we want him over a healthy Gabe.  

Don’t forget there is a 21 option with Harris and Cook who is a pass catching option.  The point is we have more variable options this year with the talent we’ve added vs. I know D Hop would’ve made. Better 11 personnel option.

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Not sure about your “nightmare” fluff, but that set is indeed intriguing. Cook proved me wrong by the end of last season and I’m excited to see him as the lead back.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Absolutely.  It adds a whole different dimension to the O. We can attack defenses in soooo many ways 

If that run gm gets going this could be an all time great O 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

I agree!  We can be a matchup nightmare.....Dorsey has the ingredients, so I  think the he is under the most pressure of anyone at OBD

There is no excuse this season for KD.  He's got the expanded weapons on the OL, RB's and TE's to compliment the WR room.  Whatever he learned from Daboll, we better see it this fall or he'll be the 3rd major coach to be ousted (Farwell, Frazier).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Em, 13 personnel is a fun option, but unlike Baltimore in 2019 who had the horses, we have Morris and not sure if we want him over a healthy Gabe.  

Don’t forget there is a 21 option with Harris and Cook who is a pass catching option.  The point is we have more variable options this year with the talent we’ve added vs. I know D Hop would’ve made. Better 11 personnel

Well they can at least get the 2 te sets down then if Kincaid is what we hope  then they could draft or develop some promising te talents going forward.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.