1982 Vikings at Bills

Gregg

9 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Wow! That pre-game talk was so short! Ok, they turn around, boom, heres the kickoff.

Hard to believe the pre-game , half time analysis were so brief. Those days are long gone.

I miss the simplicity.  Also, 30 minute pre game shows were JUST fine.

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Same here; all I need to know are weather and injuries.

I miss pre cable television days when Monday Night Football was a big deal. MNF doesn’t belong on ESPN it needs to be back on ABC television to get more viewers interested that may not be all that interested between the two NFL teams playing that night. If ABC isn’t interested then shop it to NBC, CBS or FOX. That is what has changed Monday night regardless of the teams was a big deal on the big three networks now big four networks today. On ESPN cable when MNF went there it ruined MNF at the time I thought it was a bad idea because the viewership went down from free television in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

I miss pre cable television days when Monday Night Football was a big deal. MNF doesn’t belong on ESPN it needs to be back on ABC television to get more viewers interested that may not be all that interested between the two NFL teams playing that night. If ABC isn’t interested then shop it to NBC, CBS or FOX. That is what has changed Monday night regardless of the teams was a big deal on the big three networks now big four networks today. On ESPN cable when MNF went there it ruined MNF at the time I thought it was a bad idea because the viewership went down from free television in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You got to wonder who thought it was a good idea.  Very easy to figure that the numbers would fall because not everyone has cable even before the rise of smartphones and streaming, not everyone bothers with paying for cable so it would certainly drop ratings for that alone.  Unless they thought they could negotiate a lower price for future contracts.  

Almost wish they would just have games on Sundays and stop with the variable scheduling.

Whenever I see these old clips I struggle to remember: was the score really not always on the screen or are these just cropped to not show it? 

I was two years old for this particular game, but even as I start remembering my first games, do I recall that we had to wait for the score to show up if we missed parts of the game? 

1982 was my last year in WNY.  I was living in Kenmore, but I couldn't go to the 1st 2 games because I had recently had my appendix out.  The 1st 2 games were blacked out on local TV.  For the opener, I found a UHF French speaking station that was showing the Bills game, so I turned down the sound & put the radio on & listened to the Buffalo radiocast.  The next game was the one above.  Whatever the cable company was at the time they imported the game from Syracuse & put it on our cable in Buffalo.  So even though both games were blacked out, I got to watch both of them in my apartment.  By the time the strike ended, I was able to go to the Miami game.  Even though I went to many more home games, the Miami game was my last as a resident of WNY.  I left for good that December.  

• Like (+1) 1

I was surprised to see Ahmad Rashad playing for the Vikings.  In my mind he'll always be a Bill, with that one great season, particularly the miracle victory over the Raiders.  He missed the next season with an injury and then was gone.  I'm not sure if the Bills traded him but he ended up going from Seattle to the Vikings.  

Compared to today's announcers, the MNF crew (for this special Thursday night game) was pretty useless.  Gifford did OK calling the plays, but Tarkenton and Cosell added nothing to the understanding of the game.  I think they were all unprepared, probably coming off a Monday night game before this one.  How many times did they mention Joe Cribbs not being there due to a holdout, or Shane Nelson being gone due to a knee injury?  This was worse than listening to the Manning brothers kibbitz during a game these days.  

I had forgotten how much bigger Rich Stadium was in those days.  And it was nearly sold out, pretty good for a weeknight game with school/work the next day.

• Agree 1

On 6/10/2023 at 1:10 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

1982 was my last year in WNY.  I was living in Kenmore, but I couldn't go to the 1st 2 games because I had recently had my appendix out.  The 1st 2 games were blacked out on local TV.  For the opener, I found a UHF French speaking station that was showing the Bills game, so I turned down the sound & put the radio on & listened to the Buffalo radiocast.  The next game was the one above.  Whatever the cable company was at the time they imported the game from Syracuse & put it on our cable in Buffalo.  So even though both games were blacked out, I got to watch both of them in my apartment.  By the time the strike ended, I was able to go to the Miami game.  Even though I went to many more home games, the Miami game was my last as a resident of WNY.  I left for good that December.  

Oh thank you for sharing your story! Where did you move to?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.