The case for Mike Evans v DHop

Einstein's Dog

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Evans has over 10k yards already.  If he gets over 15k he's a lock.  Three to four years in Buff he gets that yardage and maybe another ring.

Maybe you didn't read what I said.  Evans would not get all those touches in Buffalo. He wouldn't be WR1.

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Doesn't M Evans have the same type of resume as DHop - and DHop is considered potential HOF. 

Just took a look, Evans stats look like they can be in the ballpark of Isaac Bruce who got in with 15,000+ yards in about 16 seasons.  If you add 3-4 more years in Buffalo Evans will be there.

And if he comes to Buffalo and helps the Bills get one or more Lombardi's then that would raise his HoF worthy resume.  If he is really tied to the Tampa area and they already have a understanding on a new deal what prevents them from trading Evans for the yr remaining on his current deal this let's Tampa save paying him in a yr they will be bad,  Evans gets a 2nd ring  then he signs a new deal with Tampa next year.  He's beefed up his Hof resume,  and then  gets a  new deal with the team he wishes to stay on after just playing 1 year in Buffalo. 

I myself would rather he save any draft capital he has and would prefer he try to secure one of the top wrs in next years draft.  I'd love to get Marv Harrison Jr., think on a 5 yr rookie contract that would really work well with a seasoned Josh Allen as his QB.  And with any of the reliable weapons he has from this year that would be the move I would love to see occurring.  

Edited by AuntieEm

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe you didn't read what I said.  Evans would not get all those touches in Buffalo. He wouldn't be WR1.

Evans does not need to be WR1 to get 1,000 in Buff.  Gabe Davis had over 800 for us last year.  Evans has had over 1,000 every season he has been in the league.  Since Evans already has a ring, getting close to 15,000 makes him a HOFer, just look at Isaac Bruces resume.

Admit it Mr WEO,  M Evans a potential HOFer.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Beane is willing to trade pics to get who wants I actually don’t have a problem with that

But this is also the first year where we will get a comp pic, so I almost feel like he’s working the system a little bit differently

He was very careful to bring in players that wouldn’t mess with the comp pic formula

I don’t have a problem with it either… our mate Einstein said that he “cries” at the thought of doing it…

Trading picks has no implication on the comp pick..

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

With over 300 combined pages I am experiencing DHop fatigue.  Not only that, my desire for DHop has been reduced some by the skeptics.  DHop's age, PEDs, personality, and now chase of the almight $, make me wonder about the alternatives.   What about Mike Evans?

Tampa could be outright terrible this year.  Huge Brady hangover.  Recent power ranking had Tampa 3rd or 4th worst in the league and they just had the viral video of pathetic QB play.  Yet their WR room is quite expensive - M Evans $13M, C Godwin $20M, and R Gage $10M.   M Evans should be able to be had.

Pros for Mike Evans:

Drugs: Evans has not been busted for steroids (so Evans can be more aggressive in his supplement routine)

Production:  Tie - while DHop has 11,298 yards, Evans 10,425 done in one less year

culture/personality - Evans seems more level headed, no drama

Cost - this is where it gets tricky.  DHop looks like he wants greater than OBJ money ($15M), and while IMO DHop has a legitimate point that does not seem like the dollar figure the Bills have in mind.  M Evans is on the last year of what was his big contract and it's a reasonable $13M.  But to get him the Bills would probably need to send over a decent draft pick (maybe a 3rd) and do an extension for 2-3 years with the usual treats of guarateed money/signing bonus, but done in a decent cap friendly type way.

While Evans has a ring, he might be chasing the HOF.  And while Evans is classy enough to keep quiet, going to Buffalo would be great for his career.  And Tampa has a problem with extending

You do realize that you may have started another 300 page thread, right?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Beane all but cried over spending a 4th round pick to move up in the draft so i’d be shocked if he spent a pick on Evan’s when Hopkins is available for just money.

Bolded

Show me one link where he showed frustration about spending that 4th to move up?

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He had it in mind but he does not coach.  Maybe we will see it this year after OC has some time to plan for him in offseason.

I’m assuming he talks to the coaches to find out their thoughts on players that might be of interest to acquire mid term?

They are all sitting in this building together in Orchard Park for 12 hours a day right?

Edited by Aussie Joe

8 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Evans does not need to be WR1 to get 1,000 in Buff.  Gabe Davis had over 800 for us last year.  Evans has had over 1,000 every season he has been in the league.  Since Evans already has a ring, getting close to 15,000 makes him a HOFer, just look at Isaac Bruces resume.

Admit it Mr WEO,  M Evans a potential HOFer.

Isaac Bruce as part of one of the greatest Offenses ever.  Evans...not.  He would need 110+ targets a season min on the Bills for 5 years, entering his 10th year.  Your calculus has him getting 110 targets at least into his 14th season.  nah.

Even i....., in 10+ years, when Evens would be eligible, by your math, 15k probably won't be enough for the HOF anymore.

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Isaac Bruce as part of one of the greatest Offenses ever.  Evans...not.  He would need 110+ targets a season min on the Bills for 5 years, entering his 10th year.  Your calculus has him getting 110 targets at least into his 14th season.  nah.

Even i....., in 10+ years, when Evens would be eligible, by your math, 15k probably won't be enough for the HOF anymore.

Yea. I agree re. Evans. I think he is and always has been excellent but the volume you will need on the basis of pure accumulation is only going to keep increasing and he has been unfortunate to play on a franchise that has been mainly irrelevant, save for the last 3 years, and while Evans has been good for them in the playoffs, averages over 70 yards per game, he doesn't have that signature clutch playoff moment to define his legacy. Think he very likely ends up in the Hall of Very Good. If he were to come to the Bills to chase the HoF it would likely be that signature moment that he would need as much as more yardage accumulation. Being on a SB winning Bills team and having a Gabe Davis v KC type playoff performance in a big win would give him a shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Bolded

Show me one link where he showed frustration about spending that 4th to move up?

He's not going to stop trading draft picks...

But he does express at least some bit of frustration over the extra picks given up. Just listen to him. Right after day 1 of the draft this year he told McAfee something like (I'm paraphrasing) "yeah you know I've done it [given up picks] historically [then he gives a few examples, elam, Edmunds, josh]. Sometimes I hate myself for giving up all the extra picks"

He goes on to say he doesn't want to "lose the guy", and for me that's all ok and makes sense.

But he's aware he trades picks away at a clip not matched by other GMs

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. I agree re. Evans. I think he is and always has been excellent but the volume you will need on the basis of pure accumulation is only going to keep increasing and he has been unfortunate to play on a franchise that has been mainly irrelevant, save for the last 3 years, and while Evans has been good for them in the playoffs, averages over 70 yards per game, he doesn't have that signature clutch playoff moment to define his legacy. Think he very likely ends up in the Hall of Very Good. If he were to come to the Bills to chase the HoF it would likely be that signature moment that he would need as much as more yardage accumulation. Being on a SB winning Bills team and having a Gabe Davis v KC type playoff performance in a big win would give him a shot. 

I disagree, Evans makes it to 15k yards and he is a lock.

Evans already has a signature calling card -  over 10 years (every year in the league), over 1,000 yards each year.  Not many, if any, WRs can say that.

For HOF purposes, continuing that impressive 1,000 yard streak and hitting 15k total should be the prime considerations.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.