The case for Mike Evans v DHop

Einstein's Dog

With over 300 combined pages I am experiencing DHop fatigue.  Not only that, my desire for DHop has been reduced some by the skeptics.  DHop's age, PEDs, personality, and now chase of the almight $, make me wonder about the alternatives.   What about Mike Evans?

Tampa could be outright terrible this year.  Huge Brady hangover.  Recent power ranking had Tampa 3rd or 4th worst in the league and they just had the viral video of pathetic QB play.  Yet their WR room is quite expensive - M Evans $13M, C Godwin $20M, and R Gage $10M.   M Evans should be able to be had.

Pros for Mike Evans:

Drugs: Evans has not been busted for steroids (so Evans can be more aggressive in his supplement routine)

Production:  Tie - while DHop has 11,298 yards, Evans 10,425 done in one less year

culture/personality - Evans seems more level headed, no drama

Cost - this is where it gets tricky.  DHop looks like he wants greater than OBJ money ($15M), and while IMO DHop has a legitimate point that does not seem like the dollar figure the Bills have in mind.  M Evans is on the last year of what was his big contract and it's a reasonable $13M.  But to get him the Bills would probably need to send over a decent draft pick (maybe a 3rd) and do an extension for 2-3 years with the usual treats of guarateed money/signing bonus, but done in a decent cap friendly type way.

While Evans has a ring, he might be chasing the HOF.  And while Evans is classy enough to keep quiet, going to Buffalo would be great for his career.  And Tampa has a problem with extending

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Mike Evans isn't available for Trade. It's always just speculation by media members for WR needy teams. Which we are not. If we were, we'd be offering Hopkins whatever it took.

Between the additions of Kincaid (as much a TE as Von is a LB), Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter and what we already had in Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir - WR is only a "need" for fans who feel Gabe Davis shouldn't be on the team and require a depth chart filled with "I've heard of 'em!" players to be satisfied.

Whether or not anyone feels comfortable with how the position has been addressed - Beane does and none of those guys are going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I specifically remember Evans dropping passes from TB12

I specifically remember him catching passes from that QB

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Mike Evans isn't available for Trade. It's always just speculation by media members for WR needy teams. Which we are not. If we were, we'd be offering Hopkins whatever it took.

Between the additions of Kincaid (as much a TE as Von is a LB), Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter and what we already had in Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir - WR is only a "need" for fans who feel Gabe Davis shouldn't be on the team and require a depth chart filled with "I've heard of 'em!" players to be satisfied.

Whether or not anyone feels comfortable with how the position has been addressed - Beane does and none of those guys are going anywhere.

Jason Licht, that you?

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

I've loved Evans since the day he came out. Watkins and OBJ got all of the fanfare when it was clear Evans was going to be more like an Eric Moulds type player. Dude is legit. Id love to have him. 

Good for you.  I hope he feels the same towards you.

gay-pride-flag-non-binary.gif

Sorry but that was perfect phrasing on your part.😁

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Beane all but cried over spending a 4th round pick to move up in the draft so i’d be shocked if he spent a pick on Evan’s when Hopkins is available for just money.

Really…. Because he has moved up in the draft plenty of times?

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Jason Licht, that you?

How about Todd Bowles?

"I don’t know where that [talk] came from, either. Mike’s been one of our best players for a long time. He’s still productive at a high level, one of my favorite guys on the team,” Bowles said.

The head coach added “same thing” for Chris Godwin.

“I don’t see those two guys going anywhere,” Bowles said with an incredulous look on his face.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/03/todd-bowles-addresses-chris-godwin-mike-evans-trade-rumors/

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Really…. Because he has moved up in the draft plenty of times?

Yes and he did this year.

And anguished over it.

So with a choice between signing a WR that costs zero draft pick, and one that costs a draft pick, I think the choice is obvious.

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He might be.  Evans is on the last year of his contract.  With the two other WRs under pretty sizable contracts, it seems reasonable that Evans would not be in a rebuilding teams plans.  And if Evans isn't in their plans, they might want to move him while they can get a pick.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Yes and he did this year.

And anguished over it.

So with a choice between signing a WR that costs zero draft pick, and one that costs a draft pick, I think the choice is obvious.

Sorry.. I don’t care if he “cried” or not… he gave up the pick and he has done so many times… he gave up a 5th for Hines and they never use him!

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Beane all but cried over spending a 4th round pick to move up in the draft so i’d be shocked if he spent a pick on Evan’s when Hopkins is available for just money.

But we have an extra third for Edmunds.

And while DHop is available for just money, the money may be too much.  It's looking like DHop is wanting over $15M.  Evans has a contract with $13M that would be the starting point.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Sign me up for Evans

I just don’t know why the bucs would do that

Because the Bucs are going to stink. 

Because the Bucs have no intention of reupping Evans (expecially with Godwin and Gage at pretty big money)

Also maybe as a favor to Evans, he may discreetly want out.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

With over 300 combined pages I am experiencing DHop fatigue.  Not only that, my desire for DHop has been reduced some by the skeptics.  DHop's age, PEDs, personality, and now chase of the almight $, make me wonder about the alternatives.   What about Mike Evans?

Tampa could be outright terrible this year.  Huge Brady hangover.  Recent power ranking had Tampa 3rd or 4th worst in the league and they just had the viral video of pathetic QB play.  Yet their WR room is quite expensive - M Evans $13M, C Godwin $20M, and R Gage $10M.   M Evans should be able to be had.

Pros for Mike Evans:

Drugs: Evans has not been busted for steroids (so Evans can be more aggressive in his supplement routine)

Production:  Tie - while DHop has 11,298 yards, Evans 10,425 done in one less year

culture/personality - Evans seems more level headed, no drama

Cost - this is where it gets tricky.  DHop looks like he wants greater than OBJ money ($15M), and while IMO DHop has a legitimate point that does not seem like the dollar figure the Bills have in mind.  M Evans is on the last year of what was his big contract and it's a reasonable $13M.  But to get him the Bills would probably need to send over a decent draft pick (maybe a 3rd) and do an extension for 2-3 years with the usual treats of guarateed money/signing bonus, but done in a decent cap friendly type way.

While Evans has a ring, he might be chasing the HOF.  And while Evans is classy enough to keep quiet, going to Buffalo would be great for his career.  And Tampa has a problem with extending

I think the perspective of Bills fans from Tampa on TSW was that Mike Evans never wants to leave Tampa.    Contending or otherwise.   He lost for many years and then got his SB and playoff appearances in recent seasons.   The same reason the Bills never traded Kyle Williams to New Orleans when they were going in two different directions despite THAT connection seeming totally obvious.   

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

How about Todd Bowles?

"I don’t know where that [talk] came from, either. Mike’s been one of our best players for a long time. He’s still productive at a high level, one of my favorite guys on the team,” Bowles said.

The head coach added “same thing” for Chris Godwin.

“I don’t see those two guys going anywhere,” Bowles said with an incredulous look on his face.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/03/todd-bowles-addresses-chris-godwin-mike-evans-trade-rumors/

I don't think Bowles has anything to do with personnel.  And even if he did, this is typical coachspeak.

Most coaches would love having $20M Godwin, $10M Gage (although this seems to be a Brady influenced overpay), and also Evans.  But it seems unlikely to me that the Bucs will be able to keep him in 2024.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Sorry.. I don’t care if he “cried” or not… he gave up the pick and he has done so many times… he gave up a 5th for Hines and they never use him!

you’re right. I forgot that he is nonsensical

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.