Colin Cowherd's Take

newcam2012

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

It's because he's miscast as a WR2

His questionable hands and limited route tree combined w big play ability would be perfect for a WR3. Relying on him as the second highest target share in this offense is very inefficient.

Thats not accurate and not what a WR2 does. WR2 does not mean 2nd in targets. Its not Davis's fault that the slot WR production has fallen off greatly. Its also not his fault they don't target Knox enough. In a perfect world WR2 would be the fourth most targeted player but have a high YPC and score a decent number of TDs drawing single coverage. Thats exactly what he is. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Thats not accurate and not what a WR2 does. WR2 does not mean 2nd in targets. Its not Davis's fault that the slot WR production has fallen off greatly. Its also not his fault they don't target Knox enough. In a perfect world WR2 would be the fourth most targeted player but have a high YPC and score a decent number of TDs drawing single coverage. Thats exactly what he is. 

I would absolutely love Gabe Davis being the fourth most targeted player in this offense. Unfortunately he's the second, hence miscast.

Cowherd isn't wrong here but IMO he downplays the additions to the O line and running game that the Bills did do this year.

What it will come down to is simple, if the guard play significantly improves and Brown makes the leap then McD will have solved the O line problem and the Bills will be formidable this season.  If the new O linemen don't improve the guard play and Brown continues to struggle then Cowherd is 100% right and heads should roll at One Bills Drive.

47 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

You’re forgetting about the Brandon Shell signing who definitely is better than the 2021.  Brown and the any year quessenberry. He’s a sneaky good signing and could be the starting RT if Brown doesn’t vastly improve

Hey I'm all for competition at RT. That's the only real weakness I see. We're super deep on the interior.  CowT did conveniently omit the IOL additions and new wrs.  And Jets guy mispronouncing Shakir was adorable. Wright coming on later was typical KC ball- washing.  When Kelce retires things will swing.

I mean.... the Bills have addressed the OLine many times however; they haven't gotten it right. This year may be more of the same or it may be different. Time will tell and that's his point.... Offensive coaches have corrected it quickly. I have very little faith in Ken Dorsey and if the Bills lose the same way they did last year I'd be down with getting someone like Ben Johnson

• Agree 1

Its Cowherd, a sports talking head, never gonna get any depth from those types

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

They tried? Really?  Look at all the DL Picks and signings, then check OL, get back to us.  Replacing garbage with somebody else’s garbage is not trying.

Look at all the OL picks and signings.

Wow, that was easier than I thought.

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I would absolutely love Gabe Davis being the fourth most targeted player in this offense. Unfortunately he's the second, hence miscast.

Again. He wasn't the second most targeted when Beasley was catching 80 balls in back to back years. Its not Davis that is miscast. It is a lack of a quality slot WR - McKenzie failed, and Daboll/Dorsey's inability to get more targets for Knox. 

• Agree 1

Horrible Narrative that we have not put more emphasis on the offensive line this year and more money on that offensive line this year.

Spotrac.

Offensive line---$48,774,557 21% ish. 

Defensive line---$27,750,338 13% (Floyd is not in this equation yet but its not like it will change to much)

If I had listened to this last year, the year before? I would have agreed

So the next statement is going to be... Well  more bodies on the OL this year in camp. True good point

So. Lets add up top 5 in each position group and yes.. I know there are 5 OL and 4 DL :D but we will see how close this is.

we are just doing top 5 paid. We are talking about investment not starting roles. We have better starters that are being paid less so lets concentrate on investment

OL https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/positional/offensive-line/2023/full-cap/

1-Dion Dawkins-LT-$14,854,294-6.52%

2-Mitch Morse-C-$11,360,000-4.99%

3-Ryan Bates-G-$4,875,000-2.14%

4-Connor McGovern-G-$4,000,000-1.76%

5-David Edwards-G-$1,770,000-0.78%

16.9%

DL To be fair I added an extra player.. especially considering DL rotate lots. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/positional/defensive-line/2022/full-cap/

Ed Oliver-DT-$6,260,276-3%

Von Miller-DE-$5,150,000-2.47%

DaQuan Jones-DT-$3,583,333-1.72%

Jordan Phillips-DE-$3,514,706-1.69%

Tim Settle-DT-$2,675,000-1.28%

Now.. the next thing is .. (Von and Oliver contract has huge backload. It will be different next year.. True.. So just for the fun of it give them an extra 5% just to make the point. because... we are still more invested on the top 5OL.

So the next thing is. Well the talent is better on the OL

So.. lets match top 5 investments. (edited from talent to investments)  

Von vs Dawkins.. Yea.. I know.. Von :D 

Morse vs Oliver. Edge to Morse if healthy and this is close...

Bates vs Jones. Dead Heat? IDK you guys are the pro's i am just a numbers guy.

McGovern vs Philips. McGovern

Edwards Vs Settle. Settle by a notch.

Reminder.. I am just doing to the top 5 investments not starters. Investment was the word. used. 

Anyhow... This could go either way... It really to close to judge... You guys make the call based on numbers shown and breakdowns.

Point being... Don't tell me we did not invest in the OL this year.. Horrible Take on the united front of click break heroes'  :D 

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, folz said:

No question they have had a hard time putting a solid 5 together on the O-line over the years. There always seems to be one or two weak links.

But, Cowherd kind of intimates that they have ignored the offense (to any viewers who aren't paying attention), just because we didn't sign a big name like Hopkins.

But when you compare the losses and gains on the offense, it is hard to push a narrative that they aren't trying to help Josh. Of course, we have to wait to see if it all works out, but they tried to improve the three major areas of weakness from last year (and each with multiple options): interior O-line, the run game, and the slot receiving position. Gabe Davis (WR #2) wasn't the problem with the offense last year, it was the three areas just mentioned. And the Bills addressed those without breaking the bank (as we were up against the cap). But, when you're looking in from the outside (but not really paying attention---like Cowherd), all you know are the big names and big deals that happen, but ignore all of the other signings and the context and reasons for those signings.

Losses                 Gains 

Trubisky             K. Allen

McKenzie           Kincaid      

Harty

Sherfield

Shorter

Singletary          Harris

Murray

Hines (added late last year)

Saffold               Torrence

McGovern

Edwards

Broeker

Shell

Boettger (out all last year)

Good breakdown...it's almost like Colin is emphasizing the lack of a offensive HC as the bulk of his argument.  And Beane has added promising players on the offense.  We'll have to see. Like I've said several times over the last few weeks,  my 2 biggest fears are Brown & Dorsey.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Again. He wasn't the second most targeted when Beasley was catching 80 balls in back to back years. Its not Davis that is miscast. It is a lack of a quality slot WR - McKenzie failed, and Daboll/Dorsey's inability to get more targets for Knox. 

We agree, then, that Davis is not suited for a role wherein he is targeted at the rate he is at present, and that a better wideout to supplant some of his targets would be a more efficient offensive distribution.

All he’s saying is our Oline isn’t good enough.  

He’s not wrong but it’s not like we’re not addressing the Oline.  

Torrence is high draft capital.  

Ford was a bust but a 2nd RD pick.  Spencer Brown they clearly believe in - ok.  Can’t disagree with the build the line thru the draft strategy but we haven’t hit on any picks.  Hopefully Torrence changes that.  

Dawkins and Morse are solid mainstays that cost $$$.   Again, all he’s saying is the Oline isn’t good enough.  No kidding.  And obviously, Davis better breakout.  

And those rushing yards allowed (186 in the 13 seconds game???) is why many of us aren’t too distraught that Edmonds is gone.

He’s also wrong about the Bengals not addressing their defense.  They absolutely did.  Their top 2 salaries?  Reader and Hendrickson.  Come on Colin.  BJ Hill 10 million.  Hubbard 10 million.  

Then addressed their offense by being able to draft Chase.  

Fyi - Willie Gay is a UFA after this season and Creed Humphrey in 24.  Chiefs and Bengals (Higgins) going to have some big time decisions to make.  

Edited by Big Blitz

If he was only talking about the regular season, he’d be correct.  Our defense craps the bed in the playoffs.  

With that being said, if we got a RT and DHop instead of extending Oliver and getting Floyd, I’d be more excited for this next season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's not wrong. This is an offensive league. Teams with solid offensive minded HC's will have an advantage over us. I love the Floyd signing, but I hate the picks of Basham,  AJE and all the mediocre linebackers over beefing up the OL.  I just don't see any cap path to sign dHop to even a 1 yr deal at this point. And why is it we're always top 5 every year in defense only to watch it crumble in the playoffs?

We’re the Yankees of the NFL. 

A regular-season bully that’s not built to go deep into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

The National media is clueless on the Bills.

CBS Sports Radio was saying the Bills need to invest in the power run game this weekend because they play in snowy Buffalo. 

I listened to Colin since ESPN in 2004. Dropped him completely after the Vikings game last year and haven’t listened to him once since.

He does the same show every day, makes the same points, same guests, same stories, same analogies.

He’s old and washed up. Dan Patrick is old and washed up. These guys do the same show every day. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The National media is clueless on the Bills.

CBS Sports Radio was saying the Bills need to invest in the power run game this weekend because they play in snowy Buffalo. 

I listened to Colin since ESPN in 2004. Dropped him completely after the Vikings game last year and haven’t listened to him once since.

He does the same show every day, makes the same points, same guests, same stories, same analogies.

He’s old and washed up. Dan Patrick is old and washed up. These guys do the same show every day. 

I dunno

From what I've heard nationally they think the Bills are a yearly contender with a great QB and a propensity to fizzle out in the postseason

That seems pretty spot on

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.