Colin Cowherd's Take

newcam2012

51 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Pretty blunt take from Colin. Wondering how others feel about what he says. 

Although I don’t agree with him on our O line movement because we did make some quality adds, he’s not wrong on how we prioritize d line over adding more weapons for Josh. I think we had a great offseason but D hop would swing the needle way more than any other free agent move we’ve made this offseason because he’s a true offensive game changer. Hopefully Kincaid is that guy to help Diggs out 

• Like (+1) 4

Colin is a Nick Wright Butt boy. Wright hates the Bills because they’re the biggest threat to KC. Colin picked up the mantle and is running with it. Unfortunately he neglected to mention the two new guards, Edwards and McGovern the Bills added and the tackle from Miami(She’ll) along with the best TE. In the draft. Throw in Harris and Murray, two big backs, that can block and maybe Colin should educate himself and that pathetic Jet fan sidekick, to the many additions Beane has made. Face it , we needed better run defense and more pressure production against the big time QBs in the AFC. The Bills will be better on both sides of the ball. Cowerd’s narrative is Defensive minded coaches can’t win against the Offensive geniuses.  Bottom line, the Bills had emotional letdown in their game against Cinn.  No more Frazier and an improved O-line and running backs..I like our chances if Dorsey doesn’t mess it up.

• Like (+1) 4

I agree with several of Colin's points. The glaring omission was the Bills make plenty of off season moves on the Oline. 

He's right about how the Bills Oline has been a weakness for years. Still, he should have addressed the fact that the Bills have tried to solidify the Oline. 

As a result, I find Colin being disingenuous. He knows or should know about the apparent upgrades on the Oline. 

Also, I'm not so sure he didn't cherry pick his stats with regards to offensive vs defensive minded coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

2 of the biggest hits JA took last year was from RT.  Neither Brown or Quessenberry have the foot quickness to keep Josh from being "out for the season". Yes we upgraded the IOL.  But it's the outside speed rushers who are the threat.

You’re forgetting about the Brandon Shell signing who definitely is better than the 2021.  Brown and the any year quessenberry. He’s a sneaky good signing and could be the starting RT if Brown doesn’t vastly improve

54 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, they have not been successful with the OL, but you can't say they haven't tried. 

It's much harder to find quality OLmen than it is quality DLmen, but I think they could've been more successful with the guys they've had. Idk if it's a problem with talent evaluation and development/coaching or just simply not having a consistent identity on that side of the ball.

It's becoming more apparent that the old adage of "defense wins championships" is no longer true. With McDermott at the helm, the Bills will probably always have a good-enough defense and could afford to spend more on the offense.

They tried? Really?  Look at all the DL Picks and signings, then check OL, get back to us.  Replacing garbage with somebody else’s garbage is not trying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

You’re forgetting about the Brandon Shell signing who definitely is better than the 2021.  Brown and the any year quessenberry. He’s a sneaky good signing and could be the starting RT if Brown doesn’t vastly improve

The RT position is a little dicey. Feels kind of like I'm on the edge of my seat and hoping for the best. 

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

They tried? Really?  Look at all the DL Picks and signings, then check OL, get back to us.  Replacing garbage with somebody else’s garbage is not trying.

Imho, one of the biggest obstacles to the SB has been the Oline weaknesses. 

• Like (+1) 3

Still don't understand the Davis hate on this board. Yes he was a bit inconsistent last year but his YPC is elite. He makes difficult catches look routine.  He makes a ton of plays. I can forgive some miscues from time to time if he makes up for it with TDs and big catches. 

If the offense is to play better, it starts with the OL which should be better and then it falls on Allen. People don't want to admit it but he was careless with the ball last year and he missed open guys underneath. Kincaid and another year with Dorsey should help. Run game should be more consistent as well.

I think Beane did enough to improve the offense even without Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I heard it live today on Cowherd. He latches on to certain things, like “defensive” HC’s, or our OLine hasn’t been fixed in five years, but he came off as completely unaware. I expect a significantly better OLine this year with at least 40% turnover. He’s just unaware or taking a stand right now, but either way I like it. I don’t think the hot white spotlight helped us last year, other than maybe preparing us for this year. 

Interesting thought, I hadn't considered that angle. Expectations amongst fans, haters and media are sure to be lower going into this season.  I doubt they've changed in the clubhouse.

WRT Cowherd's comments I have nothing to say since I didn't (and won't) take the time to watch/listen. 

Cowherd's really good, when he gets his facts straight. 

As others have said, he complains about the Bills oline without once mentioning that they've addressed the oline - we'll see if it works. 

And he asks why the Bills are spending on defense when over the past four or five years the Bills have been around the top of the league in points allowed and total yards.   What he doesn't mention is that during the same time, the Bills ALSO were around the top of the league in points scored and total yards.   

The point he should be making is that the Bills have a great offense already (yes, it could be better, but the mantra about their needing another wideout is way, way overdone), and now they have a stable of elite pass rushers in a league where pass rush is the only thing that stops good passing teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Still don't understand the Davis hate on this board. Yes he was a bit inconsistent last year but his YPC is elite. He makes difficult catches look routine.  He makes a ton of plays. I can forgive some miscues from time to time if he makes up for it with TDs and big catches. 

If the offense is to play better, it starts with the OL which should be better and then it falls on Allen. People don't want to admit it but he was careless with the ball last year and he missed open guys underneath. Kincaid and another year with Dorsey should help. Run game should be more consistent as well.

I think Beane did enough to improve the offense even without Hopkins.

I agree.  Davis will be fine, and Kincaid will be a big addition, even if he puts up modest (400-500) yards.   

The offensive line should be better (everyone is back, plus they've added two guys who should start at guard).  

Last year, the Bills were everyone's hot item.  This year, they seem to be everyone's whipping boys.  Guys with load mouths don't play the games - big, tough, well-trained athletes do, and the Bills have a lot of those. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe this is my Canadian ignorance showing but is it normal to take the opinion of NBA broadcast types as gospel when they voice an opinion on the NFL? 

Didn't Nick Wright, Colin Coward, Steven A Smith, and Skip Bayless all start as basketball guys? Just seems funny to care what they say. Then again I find sports talk to be idiotic unless I'm reading a Bill Barnwell who specifically writes about the NFL. 

Also carrying on about offense is the most casual fan cringe thing going. Bengals rode their defense to the Superbowl. Same with the Rams that season. Tampa had a great defense when Brady arrived. Patriots won multiple Superbowls with Brady playing smart football and the defense locking it down. Same with the Ravens and Steelers. 

Bills might hypothetically have this great defense during the regular season but one thing they've been awful/average at come playoff time is rushing the passer. Not sure how any move to improve this isn't applauded?

Bengals only scored 20 points on KC after blasting us. Always found it interesting how we always have this top 5 defense in the regular season while KC has a bottom 10 but come playoff time KC seems to flip a switch and play 10 times better defensively while our defense implodes.

What Cowherd should be questioning is why our defensive coaching which is the coaching backbone of this team keeps being manhandled in the playoffs while the Bengals and Chiefs seem to find another gear defensively? I still think we scheme too much from the secondary to prevent deep passes and not enough from schemes to gain pressure with the front 7.

Edited by HaldimandBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

No question they have had a hard time putting a solid 5 together on the O-line over the years. There always seems to be one or two weak links.

But, Cowherd kind of intimates that they have ignored the offense (to any viewers who aren't paying attention), just because we didn't sign a big name like Hopkins.

But when you compare the losses and gains on the offense, it is hard to push a narrative that they aren't trying to help Josh. Of course, we have to wait to see if it all works out, but they tried to improve the three major areas of weakness from last year (and each with multiple options): interior O-line, the run game, and the slot receiving position. Gabe Davis (WR #2) wasn't the problem with the offense last year, it was the three areas just mentioned. And the Bills addressed those without breaking the bank (as we were up against the cap). But, when you're looking in from the outside (but not really paying attention---like Cowherd), all you know are the big names and big deals that happen, but ignore all of the other signings and the context and reasons for those signings.

Losses                 Gains 

Trubisky             K. Allen

McKenzie           Kincaid      

Harty

Sherfield

Shorter

Singletary          Harris

Murray

Hines (added late last year)

Saffold               Torrence

McGovern

Edwards

Broeker

Shell

Boettger (out all last year)

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If you don't think the OL signings Beane made are an upgrade then you really don't know what you are posting. 

Its fine to question Beane's faith in Brown. Many of us still do. But the investments in the interior OL are a clear upgrade and backup RT should be better as well. 

4 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Maybe this is my Canadian ignorance showing but is it normal to take the opinion of NBA broadcast types as gospel when they voice an opinion on the NFL? 

Didn't Nick Wright, Colin Coward, Steven A Smith, and Skip Bayless all start as basketball guys? Just seems funny to care what they say. Then again I find sports talk to be idiotic unless I'm reading a Bill Barnwell who specifically writes about the NFL. 

Also carrying on about offense is the most casual fan cringe thing going. Bengals rode their defense to the Superbowl. Same with the Rams that season. Tampa had a great defense when Brady arrived. Patriots won multiple Superbowls with Brady playing smart football and the defense locking it down. Same with the Ravens and Steelers. 

Bills might hypothetically have this great defense during the regular season but one thing they've been awful/average at come playoff time is rushing the passer. Not sure how any move to improve this isn't applauded?

Bengals only scored 20 points on KC after blasting us. 

Actually Cowherd started out in Tampa covering the Bucs. Grew up in PNW following the Mariners and Seahawks.  After Tampa he came to Portland where he got into NBA and college football more. My guess is he would say NFL, College Football, and NBA are his top three in that order. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think Beane did enough to improve the offense even without Hopkins

It's because he's miscast as a WR2

His questionable hands and limited route tree combined w big play ability would be perfect for a WR3. Relying on him as the second highest target share in this offense is very inefficient.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

PLaying great defense and getting the ball back t0 allen 1 0r 2 m0re times a game is the best thing they can d0 f0r allen.  

0bvi0usly the best thing is an all pr0 0-line but with the current 0ffense giving them m0re p0sessi0ns is the best thing n0w.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.