Culture and one year deals

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm a McDermott skeptic but the Floyd signing made me think of how well the culture has been maintained year over year even with these one year rentals. 

McD has done a real solid job of building a culture that allows these guys to quickly acclimate to the club, produce, and for the most part not be a negative influence. 

With the notable exceptions of Benjamin and the CB that quit at halftime, I don’t think there is another guy that was brought in and caused any issues. Don't know the whole story on Spain year 2 but that was quickly handled. 

He has done it in a variety of ways too. He let Kyle Williams be the elder leader while Josh matured. He then let Josh lead, only to bring in Miller at a later time and let him take some of that burden too. The whole time he also has Morse as a reliable steady veteran influence in the background. 

No doubt Beane has some role in this as well selecting guys that should be a good fit, but this is where McDermott has been exceptional. 

Not sure why but when you mentioned Benjamin I instantly developed a lazy streak and my arse grew two sizes.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

What are there playoff percentages? How far do there teams advance in an average year. Regular season percentages have a lot to do with the division you play in, and the rest of your schedule. Also, McDermott has been blessed with a top QB for all but the first 1 1/2 years of his tenure.  Belichek had that in NE, and did much more with it. Reid never had that in Philadelphia. Once he has had that in KC, he has done much more with it.  

Belichek had Bernie in Cleveland also. People forget it took him a while before he won the big show too. Denver has Elway for a million years and all it took was a defense and HOF running back to get the chip. 

• Like (+1) 2

We all knew better teams tend to attract better FA, but still, I didn't think it was that good ha ha. JA17 as QB, being top SB contenders, all those prime time games, it really does quite a difference. But still, kudos to Beane to capitalize on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Beane deserves a lot of credit for putting this roster together but McD made it easier for him by making Buffalo a place where FAs want to play.

Plus players like Miller are active recruiters, Josh is an attraction magnet, etc. It is a team effort all around, but Beane deserves credit for sure.

• Like (+1) 2

No question McD has built stability in a franchise that was considered laughable prior to his arrival.  Nice guy.  Cares about his players, team and community.  Produced solid winning record thus far.  All that withstanding, I believe this is a make or break year for McD.  The scapegoats have been removed.   The team fired the ST Coach after that horrendous kickoff decision vs the Chiefs in the divisional playoff game.  Frazier "excused" himself after an equally inept defensive gameplan vs the Bengals. This is the year the McD must produce and get the Bills over the hump.  Beane....this guy has literally served up the best roster (on paper) the Bills conceivably have ever had!  Offensive playmakers. OL help to protect JA and move the pocket.  Defensive stalwarts.  Resigned key FA's.  If McD does not get it done -barring a major injury to JA- then I believe his time has passed.  Elite HC's would be salivating at the mouth to try their hand at this talented infused roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm a McDermott skeptic but the Floyd signing made me think of how well the culture has been maintained year over year even with these one year rentals. 

McD has done a real solid job of building a culture that allows these guys to quickly acclimate to the club, produce, and for the most part not be a negative influence. 

With the notable exceptions of Benjamin and the CB that quit at halftime, I don’t think there is another guy that was brought in and caused any issues. Don't know the whole story on Spain year 2 but that was quickly handled. 

He has done it in a variety of ways too. He let Kyle Williams be the elder leader while Josh matured. He then let Josh lead, only to bring in Miller at a later time and let him take some of that burden too. The whole time he also has Morse as a reliable steady veteran influence in the background. 

No doubt Beane has some role in this as well selecting guys that should be a good fit, but this is where McDermott has been exceptional. 

It's a win NOW mentality, and if a certain one year player turns out to be a major factor, they'd be considered for an extension.

What is SO great is that players who are free agents right now all WANT to be in Buffalo to be part of a serious superbowl push.   Especially the older vets with something left in the tank.  

Not sure if Hopkins is affordable after the Oliver and Floyd signings, but there's another example of a solid vet who wants a potential ring with Buffalo.  There's no reason why Buffalo can't be the next great "dynasty team", like we saw with New England.  That team just knew how to keep it going year in and year out.  The Bills can too.....  with smart cap management, and the right FA acquisitions.  Draft is important too, but IMO not much of a factor in New England during the dynasty years.  Personally I think we've had better drafts comparatively.

44 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A few. Williams and Spain on the o-line signed long term deals after 1 year. Feliciano signed a two year deal and  then signed a second deal. 

most come and go without much imprint.  1 year doesn't add much to the culture--or alter it.

I didn't want OBJ and I don't really want Hopkins - though it would be fun.  I kind of like our receiver room.  I think one of the non-Diggs guys can develop into a 2 for the future.  With Stefon's age I don't really want to get older at wideout.  And I am not sure (don't really know, must admit), that DHop would be good for the culture.  I am good with our wideouts plus Knox and Kincaid.  Plus I think Damien Harriss will be a very good signing.  We have not had that type of back for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Belichek had Bernie in Cleveland also. People forget it took him a while before he won the big show too. Denver has Elway for a million years and all it took was a defense and HOF running back to get the chip. 

Denver had a bad coach (playoff failure reeves) Bernie was not an elite QB , so I don't get your point.  

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Denver had a bad coach (playoff failure reeves) Bernie was not an elite QB , so I don't get your point.  

Bernie was considered elite…so was that defense. Look at the numbers BK put up for that time. Your either too young to remember out unwilling to admit BB was not an instant HOF coach

• Like (+1) 2

Hard to disagree on McBeane having done a rather decent job on the "culture" side of things (although with a tad too much blame deflection on a few occasions).

Yet, there still is that evil side of me that would be totally fine with having a couple of players who serve some minor jail time if that came with winning a Superbowl.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/5/2023 at 9:21 PM, Pabstblueribbon said:

Lots of really good points brought up in here to be celebrated. State of the art training facility, electrifying qb#1, HoF tier veteran leadership and the most loyal fans in the league. It's a good time to be us.

Now we just have one last dragon to slay.

I would not call them "most loyal fans".  I do not see some of other teams constantly taking shots at GM and HC while they are winning.  

Some fans have equivalent of PTSD.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.