Culture and one year deals

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So you are a skeptic of the winningest coach in franchise history. Got it. Makes perfect sense.

Maybe you should root for the Browns? More your style

He far from the only one.  I'm skeptical of him too.  Doesn't mean he isn't a good coach.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

33 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He far from the only one.  I'm skeptical of him too.  Doesn't mean he isn't a good coach.  

Wins and losses are what matters right? By definition, he is a good coach. Or would you rather have Sexy Rexy back?

Some of you try way too hard to be contrarians.

57 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

So a large portion of the MB should be Browns fans because we’re skeptical of McD’s ability to get to or win a SB?  🤦 

There was an even larger portion at one point who was skeptical of Andy Reid's ability to do that too...how did that work out for them?

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm a McDermott skeptic but the Floyd signing made me think of how well the culture has been maintained year over year even with these one year rentals. 

McD has done a real solid job of building a culture that allows these guys to quickly acclimate to the club, produce, and for the most part not be a negative influence. 

With the notable exceptions of Benjamin and the CB that quit at halftime, I don’t think there is another guy that was brought in and caused any issues. Don't know the whole story on Spain year 2 but that was quickly handled. 

He has done it in a variety of ways too. He let Kyle Williams be the elder leader while Josh matured. He then let Josh lead, only to bring in Miller at a later time and let him take some of that burden too. The whole time he also has Morse as a reliable steady veteran influence in the background. 

No doubt Beane has some role in this as well selecting guys that should be a good fit, but this is where McDermott has been exceptional. 

it could also be we have a good team along with Allen. Not culture but a winning team

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There was an even larger portion at one point who was skeptical of Andy Reid's ability to do that too...how did that work out for them?

There’s nothing wrong with a fan skeptic of a HC that has failed to deliver in the post season with a SB caliber team and MVP caliber QB.  Comparing Andy Reid to McD is pretty silly when talking accomplishments even before he left for KC.  He’s one of the most amazing if not the most amazing offensive minds in the history of football.  

18 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

There’s nothing wrong with a fan skeptic of a HC that has failed to deliver in the post season with a SB caliber team and MVP caliber QB.  Comparing Andy Reid to McD is pretty silly when talking accomplishments even before he left for KC.  He’s one of the most amazing if not the most amazing offensive minds in the history of football.  

Is it? Reid's winning percentage is .641 and McD's is .639

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

If DHop wants a one-year deal then everything you said makes sense.  If he wants a multi-year high dollar deal (which I'm assuming he does

at this moment) then it could cause a true need to re-tool the team a lot earlier than I would like.

DHoppie likely wants a deal like he got from Arizona with a large amount of money up front and when team can no longer afford him gets let go on back end so he can get another contract.  $22.6m Arizona needed to eat meaning money he got in extra money.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Yes, it is. What’s your point, Belichick’s is .673?  It’s about championships and Reid has been to 4 SB’s and has two rings.  

He has also been a head coach 3x as long as McD...18 more years.

• Agree 1

I don't think the one year deals have much to do with the sense of community that exists on the Bills.  The Bills are pretty careful about signing free agents that are a culture fit, and that goes for one year free agents as will as long term acquisitions.  I think the Bills like long term deals when they can fit in their cap management strategy, but when the cap is tight, they use the one year deals to pick up some talent at bargain prices.  I'm sure Leonard Floyd would love to get a multi-year big money deal, but this late in the off season that was not going to happen.  He signs for less money than he might be worth on a one year deal and collects a paycheck in anticipation of getting a longer term deal next year.  Maybe he can collect a championship ring along the way too. 

9 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I don't think the one year deals have much to do with the sense of community that exists on the Bills.  The Bills are pretty careful about signing free agents that are a culture fit, and that goes for one year free agents as will as long term acquisitions.  I think the Bills like long term deals when they can fit in their cap management strategy, but when the cap is tight, they use the one year deals to pick up some talent at bargain prices.  I'm sure Leonard Floyd would love to get a multi-year big money deal, but this late in the off season that was not going to happen.  He signs for less money than he might be worth on a one year deal and collects a paycheck in anticipation of getting a longer term deal next year.  Maybe he can collect a championship ring along the way too. 

I agree. I was just praising McD for getting most of these guys to fit in really quickly. As you said it could be who they choose to bring in as well which may be as much or more about Beane. Either way it seems to be working and as others have said probably the only way to fill out the the roster once to you get a handful of high price vets.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I really appreciate you having balance.  You’re not looking at the Bills with Rose colored glasses, yet you find what is good about our team.

We need more of that pragmatic approach to the Bills as you’re not saying everything go is great, but the sky isn’t falling either.

I admittedly was a bit upset on the Oliver extension until I saw the connection this morning to the Floyd signing providing 5th year cap hit to Oliver reducing the $11 mil hit to most likely $5 mil or so.

It may not be the D. Hop signing I’ve been praying and asking the football gods for to advance far beyond the Chiefs and catch up to the Bengals in weapons, but still helps the overall team.  I’m still not giving up hope until he signs somewhere else, but I have hope for this team.  That’s all anyone can ask for in June.

Appreciate the comments. Im guilty as any fan of over reacting from time to time. 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Wins and losses are what matters right? By definition, he is a good coach. Or would you rather have Sexy Rexy back?

Some of you try way too hard to be contrarians.

Actually, championships are what matter, but not everyone has high expectations.  You do you.  

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That is another  great point.  I think most players love the attention, at least if nothing else better endorsement potential.  

The Days of suffering being shipped out of sight to Buffalo are  temporarily over.

Everything has changed. At one point in the not so distant past we had home games shipped to Toronto and a fan base that was petrified we could lose the team. 

Allen is a star. Bills Mafia gave us a brand that is easy for the NFL to sell. The loyal, dedicated, hometown/college like atmosphere. It's like they just decided that we deserved the same branding as the Packers. Which is basically what we have become in the eyes of the league. It's such a special time for those that have been around to experience being irrelevant. I can't say this enough and I won't even be able to take my own advice. Enjoy the times when they're good. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Actually, championships are what matter, but not everyone has high expectations.  You do you.  

Only one team wins them every year. It took Reid 20 years to win his first one. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Is it? Reid's winning percentage is .641 and McD's is .639

What are there playoff percentages? How far do there teams advance in an average year. Regular season percentages have a lot to do with the division you play in, and the rest of your schedule. Also, McDermott has been blessed with a top QB for all but the first 1 1/2 years of his tenure.  Belichek had that in NE, and did much more with it. Reid never had that in Philadelphia. Once he has had that in KC, he has done much more with it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm a McDermott skeptic but the Floyd signing made me think of how well the culture has been maintained year over year even with these one year rentals. 

McD has done a real solid job of building a culture that allows these guys to quickly acclimate to the club, produce, and for the most part not be a negative influence. 

With the notable exceptions of Benjamin and the CB that quit at halftime, I don’t think there is another guy that was brought in and caused any issues. Don't know the whole story on Spain year 2 but that was quickly handled. 

He has done it in a variety of ways too. He let Kyle Williams be the elder leader while Josh matured. He then let Josh lead, only to bring in Miller at a later time and let him take some of that burden too. The whole time he also has Morse as a reliable steady veteran influence in the background. 

No doubt Beane has some role in this as well selecting guys that should be a good fit, but this is where McDermott has been exceptional. 

I think the last year Kyle Williams played, Tyrod Taylor was QB.  We drafted Josh the year after they ended the playoff drought.  So Josh and Kyle never got to be teammates.

39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What are there playoff percentages? How far do there teams advance in an average year. Regular season percentages have a lot to do with the division you play in, and the rest of your schedule. Also, McDermott has been blessed with a top QB for all but the first 1 1/2 years of his tenure.  Belichek had that in NE, and did much more with it. Reid never had that in Philadelphia. Once he has had that in KC, he has done much more with it.  

Way to try and rewrite history...McNabb was a 6x Pro Bowler.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.