Culture and one year deals

I'm a McDermott skeptic but the Floyd signing made me think of how well the culture has been maintained year over year even with these one year rentals. 

McD has done a real solid job of building a culture that allows these guys to quickly acclimate to the club, produce, and for the most part not be a negative influence. 

With the notable exceptions of Benjamin and the CB that quit at halftime, I don’t think there is another guy that was brought in and caused any issues. Don't know the whole story on Spain year 2 but that was quickly handled. 

He has done it in a variety of ways too. He let Kyle Williams be the elder leader while Josh matured. He then let Josh lead, only to bring in Miller at a later time and let him take some of that burden too. The whole time he also has Morse as a reliable steady veteran influence in the background. 

No doubt Beane has some role in this as well selecting guys that should be a good fit, but this is where McDermott has been exceptional. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the biggest thing is that 5-6 years ago none of these dudes would have signed here. The fact that vets want to come here to win and are taking very little money to do so is remarkable and not something I had experienced with our beloved Bills up to this point.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Players actually WANT to come to Buffalo, something which was never the case (at least since the mid 1990) as Mr EpsYtown stated.  I would be shocked if they didn't have lengthy discussions with Von Miller about the type of players he is, was he a cultural fit.  No mention of the Floyd deal by Von Miller as he learned from reading some of the dribble of the TBD boards he didnt want to be accused again of making a promise/prediction/guarantee that didnt come true.  The days of begging and  wildly overpaying Mario Willaims to be a Bill are, at the moment, distant history.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 9

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

With all the 1 year deals, this is the season to go ALL IN!! Restructure some deals and add DHop to the mix!! A known sure handed receiver with the ability to separate. Consider DHop as Beasley on steroids!! (hypothetically speaking)

As long as Josh Allen is here, we'll be doing a lot of these 1 year deals.  

This is why teams with elite QB's can typically keep solid rosters around their QB..  We're not getting Harris, Ford, Rapp and Floyd to sign here for what they did if our QB is Kirk Cousins. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

Also, the league actually wants to showcase the Bills on National TV...10 out of 17 games on National TV will do a lot to bring in guys on a 1 year rental as well, IMO.

That is another  great point.  I think most players love the attention, at least if nothing else better endorsement potential.  

The Days of suffering being shipped out of sight to Buffalo are  temporarily over.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

So you are a skeptic of the winningest coach in franchise history. Got it. Makes perfect sense.

Maybe you should root for the Browns? More your style

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

As long as Josh Allen is here, we'll be doing a lot of these 1 year deals.  

This is why teams with elite QB's can typically keep solid rosters around their QB..  We're not getting Harris, Ford, Rapp and Floyd to sign here for what they did if our QB is Kirk Cousins. 

Great summation! Now, the Team needs to bring home the hardware. These things can just as quickly turn into a rent-a-player turnstile if the results don’t match the name recognition of the signings. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That is another  great point.  I don't think for a second most players lover the attention, at least if nothing else better endorsement potential.  

The Days of suffering being shipped out of sight to Buffalo are  temporarily over.

Like Gilmore said when he went to New England,, "Now my family will be able to watch me play". It's why AJ McCarron is in the XFL, he wanted his sons to see him play, not just sit on the sideline in the NFL.

These guys are all humans with families of some sort. Being seen definitely makes a difference.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Great summation! Now, the Team needs to bring home the hardware. These things can just as quickly turn into a rent-a-player turnstile if the results don’t match the name recognition of the signings. 

Just keep winning and realistically being in the hunt is all we need, and that means keeping Allen healthy and reasonably protected.  You want to see a rent-a-players turnstile on 1 years deals is Houston for the past several.  I dont think we run that risk for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So you are a skeptic of the winningest coach in franchise history. Got it. Makes perfect sense.

Maybe you should root for the Browns? More your style

So a large portion of the MB should be Browns fans because we’re skeptical of McD’s ability to get to or win a SB?  🤦 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

With all the 1 year deals, this is the season to go ALL IN!! Restructure some deals and add DHop to the mix!! A known sure handed receiver with the ability to separate. Consider DHop as Beasley on steroids!! (hypothetically speaking)

If DHop wants a one-year deal then everything you said makes sense.  If he wants a multi-year high dollar deal (which I'm assuming he does

at this moment) then it could cause a true need to re-tool the team a lot earlier than I would like.

Beane has pushed the signings pretty much to the limit and still maintaining the mantra he has said over and over he wants to keep.

That's having a contender every year.  I know there is a huge rift in fans on the board over this, but he is being true to his word.

I think Sean has done a very good job keeping the locker room believing in the future.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I heard that Kincaid was going to be the supercharged Beasley. 

And I don’t know about everyone else, I would love to get Hopkins, but it’s almost starting to feel unreasonable after all these signings to add him too. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm a McDermott skeptic but the Floyd signing made me think of how well the culture has been maintained year over year even with these one year rentals. 

McD has done a real solid job of building a culture that allows these guys to quickly acclimate to the club, produce, and for the most part not be a negative influence. 

With the notable exceptions of Benjamin and the CB that quit at halftime, I don’t think there is another guy that was brought in and caused any issues. Don't know the whole story on Spain year 2 but that was quickly handled. 

He has done it in a variety of ways too. He let Kyle Williams be the elder leader while Josh matured. He then let Josh lead, only to bring in Miller at a later time and let him take some of that burden too. The whole time he also has Morse as a reliable steady veteran influence in the background. 

No doubt Beane has some role in this as well selecting guys that should be a good fit, but this is where McDermott has been exceptional. 

McDermott is easily the best coach we've had at building culture. Marv could be considered a close 2nd yet think he had more talent than we have now. Toss in McDermott did all this in first year as a HC whereas Marv had previous HC experience. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That is another  great point.  I think most players love the attention, at least if nothing else better endorsement potential.  

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Just keep winning and realistically being in the hunt is all we need, and that means keeping Allen healthy and reasonably protected.  You want to see a rent-a-players turnstile on 1 years deals is Houston for the past several.  I dont think we run that risk for a long time.

Roy, you’re correct.  This is year 2 of a large Primetime footprint between evening and national games at 4:25.  I love the 4:25 games especially as the 8:30 games get old when not Saturday in December or Holidays.  It’s a me issue as im up at 4:45am weekday mornings.  A midnight close sucks when you’re up once you settle down after 3 hrs of sleep.

I’m not complaining as it bringing us Floyd and others at reasonable rates.  I like this Oliver deal more due to the Floyd signing and Poona before.  We may finally have a line as I still like the vets even Shaw and J Phillips.

The guys that needs to worry are Basham and Epinesa.  Lastly, possible Settle depending on whether we keep 4 or 5.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Consider Kincaid to be Beasley on steroid and stilts.

we just kicked anotheb 6M down the road with Ed’s contract to sign Floyd.  If hopkins will settle for one year of guaranteed money, I agree with you.  I just don’t think that is his MO after hiring clutch sports. 

• Like (+1) 1

One of the smartest things the Bills organization ever did was build their current training facility.

Obviously, having a franchise QB and a team with a legitimate chance at winning it all every year helps lure quality players, but don't underestimate the role of the training facility in luring these players, as well.

Buffalo simply can't offer what other NFL cities can offer in terms of entertainment, attractions, nightlife, tax breaks, etc....So building a state of the art facility that players look at and know that it can help keep them healthy, prolong the career, and continue to produce at a high level -- not to mention a space that leads players to actually want to spend time at the team facilities and, thus, building comradery with teammates -- was ingenious. 

Impressive to see how thoroughly the culture and reputation of this team have rebounded from toxic pre-Beane/McDermott years.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I really appreciate you having balance.  You’re not looking at the Bills with Rose colored glasses, yet you find what is good about our team.

We need more of that pragmatic approach to the Bills as you’re not saying everything go is great, but the sky isn’t falling either.

I admittedly was a bit upset on the Oliver extension until I saw the connection this morning to the Floyd signing providing 5th year cap hit to Oliver reducing the $11 mil hit to most likely $5 mil or so.

It may not be the D. Hop signing I’ve been praying and asking the football gods for to advance far beyond the Chiefs and catch up to the Bengals in weapons, but still helps the overall team.  I’m still not giving up hope until he signs somewhere else, but I have hope for this team.  That’s all anyone can ask for in June.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.