Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

I think it's crazy for anyone to complain about us adding a 9-10 sack a year player to our defense. We have the QB. Top 3 needs this year.

1. Fix the interior of the oline

2. Add a receiving weapon

3. Add pass rush depth

We attacked these exact things.

I can bash Beane about his 2nd round picks, but have to commend this off-season approach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

IMHO, Hopkins will be signed, because Diggs is going. 

I think he is pulling another Minny. Beane will not hesitate if Diggs continues his bs that is ongoing since last season finale.

Other than not being at voluntary workouts, what bs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

IMHO, Hopkins will be signed, because Diggs is going. 

I think he is pulling another Minny. Beane will not hesitate if Diggs continues his bs that is ongoing since last season finale.

Beane won't blow up the cap to sign high price players, but he will do so to get rid one of our best players.  Obviously. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  I think that’s why we don’t have Hopkins. 

He’s restructured and kicked more money down the line than I thought he would have this offseason.  I’m glad he did.  I really love this roster a lot more than last years 

I think we are heading for a partial rebuild after by 2025 and Beane is trying to win before that happens.  I don't think we will be completely decimated and hopefully Beane is able to stockpile picks so we can get some cheap labor during the transition.

By 2025, I would expect all of these players to be gone:

Hyde

Poyer

Von Miller

Diggs

Morse

While that doesn't seem like a lot, we also have the expiring contracts and players who may not have earned new deals.  So overall, by 2025 we will need (if not already drafted a replacement)

-RT, C, WR1, WR2, WR3, RB, DT 2, RE, LE, MLB, OLB, FS, SS

That's more than half the roster

• Like (+1) 1

The only problem I have is with incentives based on sacks.  Does he then focus on getting upfield every down, ignoring the run, in order to up his sack count?

How about incentives to win the SB…or is that not allowed per the CBA?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I think it's crazy for anyone to complain about us adding a 9-10 sack a year player to our defense. We have the QB. Top 3 needs this year.

1. Fix the interior of the oline

2. Add a receiving weapon

3. Add pass rush depth

We attacked these exact things.

I can bash Beane about his 2nd round picks, but have to commend this off-season approach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Beane fan and I love this roster...but with regard to #1 and #3, you have to at least admit that the reason he needed to do those things this year is because his previous investments didn't pan out. I mean, 3 recent high picks on the DL wasn't enough to secure pass rush depth, and we've had a revolving door at Guard the past few seasons.

Not every move works out for a GM, for sure, but it sucks that he has had to repeatedly sink resources into those two things.

That said, I'd still take Beane over just about anyone at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think we are heading for a partial rebuild after by 2025 and Beane is trying to win before that happens.  I don't think we will be completely decimated and hopefully Beane is able to stockpile picks so we can get some cheap labor during the transition.

Hyde

Poyer

Von Miller

Diggs

Morse

While that doesn't seem like a lot, we also have the expiring contracts and players who may not have earned new deals.  So overall, by 2025 we will need (if not already drafted a replacement)

most teams change considerably in 3-4 years.  

Which is why I said he needs to hit on more draft picks and land some low cost, high contributing free agents. To keep the cupboards somewhat stocked.  If he blows draft picks and doesn’t find any low cost free agents, we’re in trouble.

Look at the chiefs starters from their first SB roster.  How many starters remain other than Mahomes?  1, Travis Kelce.  How many starters on defense?  1, Chris Jones.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

Apparently he turned down more money elsewhere and early on to sign with us. Thats nice to hear considering the past issues with high value FAs. 

I don't doubt it in this case but I think agents sometimes tell guys like Rappaport that their client took a discount even when they didn't.   Agents want teams to think the true value of their client is greater than it really is.

39 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Hyde

Poyer

Von Miller

Diggs

Morse

Very insightful. I happen to agree.

With that said, are you implying that Beane has missed opportunities to make the team SB ready? 

Is the window closing? 

47 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Hyde

Poyer

Von Miller

Diggs

Morse

It's definitely hard, which is why long term success and dynasties are rare.  

But I think every roster is overturned a lot over the course of 3-4 seasons.  Look how different our team is from 2019.

The replacements just have to be as good or better.  As long as you have a franchise QB, you're going to be in the running for the playoffs at least.

The Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Big Ben, Marino, Kelly, Manning etc were in the playoffs pretty much every year.

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Beane fan and I love this roster...but with regard to #1 and #3, you have to at least admit that the reason he needed to do those things this year is because his previous investments didn't pan out. I mean, 3 recent high picks on the DL wasn't enough to secure pass rush depth, and we've had a revolving door at Guard the past few seasons.

Not every move works out for a GM, for sure, but it sucks that he has had to repeatedly sink resources into those two things.

Valid. But we also have to give him credit for not doubling down on his mistakes.

7 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

my girlfriend has crazy bend off the edge sign her beane

Not to derail thread but, true story, no kidding:

I once had a CA-born girlfriend who worked for (name of intelligence agency), then left to become a full-time yoga instructor.

Dude, she had killer bend, with a motor and twitchy hips. Un-freaking real.

She also spoke fluent Russian, which was pretty much an extra plus.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sure, there’s concern.  Sometimes you have to take risks.  Sometimes you don’t.  Tough to predict the luck portion of winning a Super Bowl.  I think we’ve mortgaged a solid amount of future cap space to increase our chances to win this year (and last)……In Josh’s prime.  I don’t think we’ve gone even close to all in.  I think we’re doing what many contenders do.  

I think you’re underestimating how many lottery tickets we can buy.  We think we can have 7 GREAT chances doing what we’re doing rather than 9 good chances.  

Do you think we’re all in this year?

We've restructured some contracts which every team does.  But it's like using a credit card - you get what you want today but you have to pay for it later.  That's my worry. 

So far, I think Beane has been judicious.  But if Beane restructures another contract to sign DHop, I'll feel like we've crossed a line and mortgaged the future to win this year.   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Yes, take Beane over just about every one.

The fact is that every GM misses, and probably every GM has a losing streak at particular positions.  Browns have had a losing streak at QB for a couple of decades.   Fans of every team are well aware of the positions where their GM has struggled to solve the problem.   It happens everywhere.  

Someone someone has a master grading system for GMs, evaluating draft results compared to other GMs and free agency moves, including players lost in free agency.

The Bills have a QB on a monster contract, and still the roster continues to improve from year to year.   Hard to fault Beane because at one position or another he hasn't hit it out of the park - overall, he's been great. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not that the Bills will go after him but look who else is available.

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "Update: The #Commanders are 'Open to listen' to trade offers about former 2nd overall pick DE Chase Young. More here: https://t.co/UZW9gEtXyK https://t.co/c47hym6Fds" / Twitter

What happened to this guy?  I know he had a knee injury but that was week 10 in 2021 and he had 1 sack coming into that game.

0 sacks last year in 3 games.  Small sample size but in his last 13 games...1 sack.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sign Ingram or Houston then you can do this with your front on 3rd and long:

Von  -  Oliver - Rousseau  

Floyd                                        Ingram
                     Milano 

N A S T Y

Damn dude, are you ever happy? 😆

This is absolutely not something that's happening. As it is, we're going to have to make a decision on a guy like Boogie Basham after the Floyd signing.

We're only keeping 5 DE's on the 53. Ingram isn't going to sign to be our 4th rusher. We're not going to pay another DE after paying Floyd and Shaq and paying Von last year. We aren't going to cut AJ Epenesa or Shaq Lawson to fit another on.

Floyd represents the absolute most Beane was going to do and I had questions as to whether or not he'd have even done that. I was pleasantly surprised to see him pull the trigger. I didn't think we'd be able to land one of the top Tier guys. I thought at most we'd get a Houston, Clowney, or Quinn. You should be thrilled with what we have.

This idea is Madden level laughable from a roster building standpoint and 4 DE's on the field at the same time is laughable from a personnel standpoint.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Very insightful. I happen to agree.

With that said, are you implying that Beane has missed opportunities to make the team SB ready? 

Is the window closing? 

I think this is all very natural.   Yes, Beane has missed on picks, but so do all GMs.  Spending money on two DEs the past two years after all the draft picks we put into those position isn’t a great look.  But I’d argue his success rate is still pretty high. 

• Agree 2