Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

58 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Von 

Floyd

Rousseau

Shaq, AJ, Basham, Kingsley, Ray battling for the 4th & 5th spots

With PUP only being 4 games now and the addition of Floyd, I now fully expect Von to start there. Meaning there will probably be a 5th DE on the roster at the start of the season that will most likely be released and attempted to be sent to the PS when Von is activated (barring an injury to one of the 5 before Von is activated).

I expect us to keep 5 DE's at all times. And I'd assume Rousseau, Floyd, Lawson, and Epenesa will be the top 4 DE's when Von is out and the players that will remain on the 53 when Von returns.

The question then remains, who will be the 5th guy when the season starts?

Do they keep Basham or try and trade him and go with a guy like Ray or Kingsley at the temporary 5th spot? 

Keeping him would mean either having SIX DE's when Von returns, which seems unlikely to me as 5 DE's usually represents the most you keep. Or releasing him when Von returns and odds are you won't get him back on the Practice Squad. 

I think you try and get a pick for Basham if you can before the season and go with Ray or Kingsley at the 5th spot, stashing them on the PS when Von returns.

The only thing that gives me pause is giving up on a 2nd Round pick after just 2 seasons and the fact that after this season - Floyd, Lawson, Epenesa, Ray, and Kingsley are all FA's and Basham is under contract past this year.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Different animal in the playoffs… and the Bills defense has shown it warts plenty once it’s gotten there…. Twice against KC.

Never with von Miller

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just look at Bills @ KC.  The d kept KC out of the end zone 3 times in a row to end the game.  All we needed was 3 stops…. And we got 3. 

There’s more than one way to skin a cat.  

Can you imagine a Bills team that pressured the passer like the SB Rams? This team will force QBs to rush throws, get flushed out of the pocket and get sacked more than in previous years. Let’s see how KCs revamped O-line matches up with a far more aggressive McDermott run defense. A full compliment of physical safeties, a healthy White and an improved Elam, make this defense more capable of keeping the great offenses on our schedule in check. We still will be averaging 30 on offense when the players get acclimated to each other so by midseason good luck to those poor souls on our schedule.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Skip the pass rush stuff; it doesn't translate enough to wins and losses.

Protect the QB? Hell yes.  I'd spend every dime on offense and just look to be league average at every position on D.

No pass rusher has ever won a championship for anyone.

Edited by Big Blitz

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well then maybe your GF should sign an NFL contract.  1-Techs are hard to come by so she would get a great offer.

I question if he even HAS a GF!!!

10 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Meh

the pass rush was dreadful so they needed someone but this guy was a bust until he got to play next to Aaron Donald.

my girlfriend could rack up 6-8 sacks playing next to Donald, Floyd won’t have that luxury here 

Your girlfriend sounds like a friggin' beast!

• Haha (+1) 1

I like this signing. It was an area of need and to get a player of this caliber this late in free agency is a coup.

excited to see what the defense looks like this season with McDermott calling plays and the changes made to the d line. Excited to see the offense too. I like what a Beane has done this offseason with no real cap space to speak of. It’s been a lot better offseason than I expected!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

……to get a player of this caliber this late in free agency is a coup.

I used to tell myself that when getting picked last for dodge ball. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Usually those type of deals are leaked by agent quickly. Thinking more like 2-3 million

I get what you are saying, but do you really believe that someone like him couldn't get much better deal?

It just seems too good to ve true. I guess we'll see :)

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Just look at Bills @ KC.  The d kept KC out of the end zone 3 times in a row to end the game.  All we needed was 3 stops…. And we got 3. 

There’s more than one way to skin a cat.  

I get it and your point is fair. Of course, I'm not advocating for a crappy Bills D or have weaknesses not being addressed. 

I would rather have the Bills organization to go "all in" on the offensive side of the ball. Devote most of your resources there. 

Build a D that's able to make some big plays and get a key stop here or there. McD should be able to hold down the fort sort of speak based on the D talent, his scheme, and his creativity. 

Perhaps my mindset is a bit off here. 

Not a fan of this or Oliver, needed to get Josh a legitimate weapon opposite Diggs like DHop. People talking about Harty and Schfield is laughable to me, they have done nothing in this league. I like Kincaid but he is a rookie and may need time. If Diggs goes down or has one of his primadonna spats then Davis is our #1. That’s sad.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get it and your point is fair. Of course, I'm not advocating for a crappy Bills D or have weaknesses not being addressed. 

I would rather have the Bills organization to go "all in" on the offensive side of the ball. Devote most of your resources there. 

Build a D that's able to make some big plays and get a key stop here or there. McD should be able to hold down the fort sort of speak based on the D talent, his scheme, and his creativity. 

Perhaps my mindset is a bit off here. 

Then you become the Saints for that 5 year or so period where they had Drew Brees and multiple other high level talented players and went 7-9 three years in a row.