Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

To the naked eye, Lawson did outperform Basham and AJE, and I believe received more playing time than either down the stretch, but it’s more an indictment on those players than it is an appraisal of Lawson’s game. It’s sad that neither AJE nor Basham have stepped up to make big time plays in games when they’re needed. One at the very least has to show much more than Lawson provides this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Lawson is an average football player. I mean the amount of love the guy gets on here makes me shake my head. He's a loveable character.  I get it he likes Buffalo and Buffalo likes him but that doesn't change the fact that the Bills can't do a lot better. Epenesa has upside still. I don't care if they were garbage sacks. He's still showing improvement unlike Lawson who we know exactly what his max is.  I'm not even really advocating for Epenesa or Basham either but at least there could be something more there. 

Shaq is a JAG, not bad but certainly not dynamic. And at his age he just is what he is. He sets the edge above average against the run and is a below-average pass rusher but not tragic. He is a great vet rotation/depth player. The Bills usually carry 5 DE's and Shaq being your 5th guy is a good thing. Floyd will likely slot into a rotational slot early in the season and get good snaps. With Von likely to start the season on the PUP list the Bills need to find one more player at DE and they got a solid option this late in free agency.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My take is, when I'm down to my DE4, I want someone I can count on even if they arent the most talented. I need steady and consistent over boom/bust like AJ and Boogie. We know what Shaq is... and that's exactly why I like him.

Define Steady and consistent to me if steady and consistent is taking reps and setting the edge with no ability to rush the passer than sure. Epenesa had 6.5 sacks in his 3rd season in the NFL and is an ascending player. He also started 2 games this year. 

Lawson started 6 games and had 3.5 sacks in his 7th year. 

So Lawson had triple his starts, forced less turnovers, and has double the experience in the NFL than Epenesa but had 3 sacks less, 1 less turnover opportunity and had 15 more tackles which at the end of the day aren't difference making plays because Epenesa had 7 TFL and Lawson had 6. 

There is literally no concernable stats that say that Shaq Lawson is a better player than AJ Epenesa at this point. 

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

To the naked eye, Lawson did outperform Basham and AJE, and I believe received more playing time than either down the stretch, but it’s more an indictment on those players than it is an appraisal of Lawson’s game. It’s sad that neither AJE nor Basham have stepped up to make big time plays in games when they’re needed. One at the very least has to show much more than Lawson provides this season. 

Shaq Lawson was a consensus All-American, and double-digit sack starter on a Clemson team that played for the National Championship, which got him drafted in the 1st round.

Both AJ and Boogie are late 2nd round picks from small programs that couldnt even win their conferences.

Shaq disappointed a bit in the beginning of his career here, but he should absolutely be far more talented than either of the other two.

26 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Lawson is an average football player. I mean the amount of love the guy gets on here makes me shake my head. He's a loveable character.  I get it he likes Buffalo and Buffalo likes him but that doesn't change the fact that the Bills can't do a lot better. Epenesa has upside still. I don't care if they were garbage sacks. He's still showing improvement unlike Lawson who we know exactly what his max is.  I'm not even really advocating for Epenesa or Basham either but at least there could be something more there. 

Epenesa is not showing signs of improvement however. He was given a chance to start when Miller went down and played poorly. Lawson beat him out for the starting job and was the starting D end at the end of the season. Agree Lawson is an average player but Epenesa is just not any good. Basham is probably worse but at least he is a bigger body to help against the run.

3 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

I kinda get what you're saying, but:

Didn't Von literally do that for the Rams in SB LVI?

Pretty sure he did it for Denver vs Carolina as well

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Define Steady and consistent to me if steady and consistent is taking reps and setting the edge with no ability to rush the passer than sure. Epenesa had 6.5 sacks in his 3rd season in the NFL and is an ascending player. He also started 2 games this year. 

So Lawson had triple his starts, forced less turnovers, and has double the experience in the NFL than Epenesa but had 3 sacks less, 1 less turnover opportunity and had 15 more tackles which at the end of the day aren't difference making plays because Epenesa had 7 TFL and Lawson had 6. 

There is literally no concernable stats that say that Shaq Lawson is a better player than AJ Epenesa at this point. 

Anyone with half a brain can make any stat say anything they want. Stats dont tell the whole story. Especially in a rotational position like DE.

Shaq is more reliable. He is almost always in good position. He makes plenty of plays at the edge, and turns the play back inside. AJ flies upfield and takes himself out of the play so the Bills are playing with 10 guys.

Heck, there was one game late last season (maybe Chicago) Shaq took over and single-handedly sent their offense off the field in back to back possessions, just by playing his role.

edit: And I LIKE Epenesa, and hope he has a chance to keep developing with us. But as of today, he has no business starting over Shaq on anything other than "potential". Which isnt a real thing.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

I kinda get what you're saying, but:

Didn't Von literally do that for the Rams in SB LVI?

Sealed the deal for the Rams, and was given the SB MVP trophy of SB50 when the Broncos won despite Manning only passing for 120 yards, they still held the Panthers to only 10 points.

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Then why was he starting over Epenesa at the end of the season?

Who cares at this point. All three of there's guys are roster bottom feeders that will compete for DE4 spot vs PS. I'd try to move Epenesa like Beane did with Ford. 

Let's get back to the OP. 

Really like a top 3 DE of Miller, Floyd, and Rousseau!!!

5 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Top 10 pick in 2016 and never really took off in Chicago. 

Has been with the Rams the past 3 seasons and produced 10.5, 9.5 and 9.0 sacks. He’ll get after the QB. 

Pretty decent stats and mostly, shows consistency. I had no clue who he was but this is a legit pass rusher. Sure not on an elite level, but with him along side #40, which I suppose he was with the Rams, good things can happen!