Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

To get a player of his caliber this late into FA is pretty remarkable. I never thought we had a shot since he would be commanding top dollar but I think a 1 year chance at a SB and to play with Von again will be ideal. I think we improved along the trenches on both sides of the ball this season which should elivate our chances at the big prize.

Right. 

Yet some people who complained about a big extension for Ed Oliver (overpaid! too long!!) will complain about a short-term, low-risk, high possible reward signing in Floyd.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Success said:

Going into the offseason OVER cap, I had no expectations.

It's pretty amazing what the Bills have been able to do. Upgrades at WR, RB and both lines.  We'll be able to protect Josh better, and get to opposing QB's more frequently.

This is looking to be the best & most complete team of the JA era.

20M over the cap to start the offseason.  We’ve revamped our IOL, added OT depth, upgraded our WR depth, added future HoFer Kincaid, Floyd and Poona, 2 downhill goal line RBs.  Didn’t overpay edmunds and drafted his long term replacement (I’m hopeful).

we didn’t upgrade WR2- but we really did.  Kincaid will soon be our 2nd option and then possibly our first option when Diggs moved on.  Semantics

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sarcasm?

We literally signed the pass rusher that won SB50 for the Broncos, and was given the SB MVP trophy, over our current HC's team.

#ignorethetrolls

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Either Boogie or Shaq isn't making the team. At least Epenesa had a pulse with 6.5 sacks last year. 

Those were garbage sacks last year. Lawson outplayed him. 

Like this signing 

Time for Beane to admit mistake and trade Epenesa for a 5th next year. 

Basham isn't much better but he has size to play in run down situations. Epenesa is useless against the run. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Like this signing 

Basham isn't much better but he has size to play in run down situations. Epenesa is useless against the run. 

Ill take 6.5 sacks, garbage or not

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Right. 

Yet some people who complained about a big extension for Ed Oliver (overpaid! too long!!) will complain about a short-term, low-risk, high possible reward signing in Floyd.

No we won't. Oliver extension was a mistake. It is the only real criticism I have for Beane this off season. Floyd signing is a nice move. Pass rush was the one area not addressed. This gives the option to put Miller on PUP for 6 weeks and give him more time to heal.  Hopkins was probably never going to happen. 

Still massive question marks at MLB, but there are at least some bodies on the roster to work with. Prior to Floyd there were not enough DEs on the roster to be competitive.  Floyd fills a hole for sure.

BOOM!  Beane not playing around. Other than the Von signing and Diggs trade, Beane previously seemed patient with allowing the Bills championship window to open and grow organically with the players already in the system.  He clearly seems to have learned the lessons of the past two years and is getting far more proactive/assertive and making a push to win now.

3 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

This is a HUGE signing! Ford and Ed in the middle, Pink Floyd and Von and groot on the outside?!?? Our D just got studded boys. This is a big day.

Beaner just wrecked the AFC!!!!

Ford and Settle will be the best two complements to Oliver he has had. No excuses for Ed now.

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Like this signing 

Lawson is an average football player. I mean the amount of love the guy gets on here makes me shake my head. He's a loveable character.  I get it he likes Buffalo and Buffalo likes him but that doesn't change the fact that the Bills can't do a lot better. Epenesa has upside still. I don't care if they were garbage sacks. He's still showing improvement unlike Lawson who we know exactly what his max is.  I'm not even really advocating for Epenesa or Basham either but at least there could be something more there. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ford and Settle will be the best two complements to Oliver he has had. No excuses for Ed now.

I assume you meant Jones? Settle is probably out of a job.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Lawson is an average football player. I mean the amount of love the guy gets on here makes me shake my head. He's a loveable character.  I get it he likes Buffalo and Buffalo likes him but that doesn't change the fact that the Bills can't do a lot better. Epenesa has upside still. I don't care if they were garbage sacks. He's still showing improvement unlike Lawson who we know exactly what his max is.  I'm not even really advocating for Epenesa or Basham either but at least there could be something more there. 

Every SB Champ team has a large number of average players behind their stars.

No one is saying Lawson should start. We're talking about DE4 or DE5 here. So yeah, Lawson should get a lot of love for that level of position. He'd be one of the best DE4s in the league. And while I like Epenesa and hope for the best for Basham, as of today, Lawson is a better, more well rounded option than either of them. As a matter of fact, I'd say Lawson is practically a combination of both of those players. Can set the edge unlike Epenesa, and can chase down guys in the backfield unlike Basham.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

With how tough our schedule is, not gonna lie.. I feel MUCH better about facing off against the Jets, Dolphins and Jaguars early season (without Von) now that we have Floyd coming off the edge.  

Those are three, potentially, very good/elite passing offenses and - even without Von - we have a decent amount of firepower in Floyd, Rousseau, Oliver, Poona, Phillips and Jones.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Airseven said:

The Oliver extension adds money to the cap, an extension that presumably helped Beane fit Floyd. Next year, Floyd will be gone, Oliver will be overpaid, and they’ll still need pass rush help.

OK so now I’m confused
I originally thought that you were complaining about the Floyd signing. Is this all about Oliver?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I agree.  

Im fine with Lawson on the PS, if he’s willing to fill that role, but I’d rather keep Epenesa and Boogie.  

Not that I’m super high on either, but AJ has at least shown flashes of above average pass rush ability.  Boogie has shown nothing, but has two years left on a rookie deal.   

Id rather bank on the potential of AJ & Boogie behind Von, Rousseau and Floyd, now that we have (when healthy) three legit EDGE players. 

We know what Shaq is.  AJ has flashed more and Basham has another cheap rookie year on his contract on a team that doesn’t have many DL players under contract after this year. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

With how tough our schedule is, not gonna lie.. I feel MUCH better about facing off against the Jets, Dolphins and Jaguars early season (without Von) now that we have Floyd coming off the edge.  

Those are three, potentially, very good/elite passing offenses and - even without Von - we have a decent amount of firepower in Floyd, Rousseau, Oliver, Poona, Phillips and Jones.

Personally, I think the Bills have had some decent talent on the DL.  I do suspect that they were not used as a unit as well as they could

have been.  I'm not diss'ing Frazier, but I think he was too conservative with calling the D.  I have a real hope that Sean pushes the D a lot

more this season.  It won't work all the time but then it's up to Josh to bring the W home.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I agree.  

Im fine with Lawson on the PS, if he’s willing to fill that role, but I’d rather keep Epenesa and Boogie.  

Not that I’m super high on either, but AJ has at least shown flashes of above average pass rush ability.  Boogie has shown nothing, but has two years left on a rookie deal.   

Id rather bank on the potential of AJ & Boogie behind Von, Rousseau and Floyd, now that we have (when healthy) three legit EDGE players. 

We know what Shaq is.  AJ has flashed more and Basham has another cheap rookie year on his contract on a team that doesn’t have many DL players under contract after this year. 

My take is, when I'm down to my DE4, I want someone I can count on even if they arent the most talented. I need steady and consistent over boom/bust like AJ and Boogie. We know what Shaq is... and that's exactly why I like him.

• Like (+1) 2