Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

With amount of FA DL we bring in coupled with the amount we drafted.... I have to question Beane and our scouts ability to properly assess DL... Not complaining about the signing,  but with the amount of resources we've thrown at the DL we shouldn't still need more signings

Then on the other side the OL gets a similar treatment...

Hoping things are changing for the better here,  but in all honesty the track record is a bit worrisome. 

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Can he play WR?

This was a much bigger need than WR.

Always looked like one of these FA DEs would be here cheap. Sort of hoped it would be one of the ones I knew better, Ngakoue, Ingram, Houston or Quinn  for poor reasons if I get deep enough into my psyche. Whether I knew them better is beside the point.

I don't know enough about Floyd to have a sharp opinion. But getting one of these guys is a good, good idea, that always looked like an extreme likelihood.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Airseven said:

The Oliver extension adds money to the cap, an extension that presumably helped Beane fit Floyd. Next year, Floyd will be gone, Oliver will be overpaid, and they’ll still need pass rush help.

That would be true if Oliver was overpaid. But there's no particular reason to think that's so.

It'll depend on how he plays. And it's certainly possible that he underperforms. But to think that you know better than the people who saw him in practice every day, in the locker room every day, and had access to his exact medical situation based on the best experts in the business ... well, it's laughable.

You could turn out to be right. Being as sure as you show you are when saying this is just ridiculous.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why are Ngakoue, Ingram, Houston, Quinn still out there as well?  Quality Edge market! 

Most of these dudes are happy to not sign and not have to go through OTAs and camp, and wait until a team is desperate right before the season to sign and walk right onto the field.

Good job by Beane to get Floyd under contract so early.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Any specific reason why he was still out there? 

He's old enough that nobody wanted to give him the long-range contract he wanted.

And this was an absolutely awful season to be out there as an older DE, with many really good guys in the same situation: Justin Houston, Robert Quinn, Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Trey Flowers, Pierre-Paul ... those guys are out there now and still unsigned. 

It was easy for teams to feel no pressure to sign any particular one of them. Just give the same cheap offer to each and say, "Whoever takes it first, gets the shot." And the Bills are a team with a legit championship shot, and there aren't that many of those out there, so our offer looked a bit better than most.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It's also interesting (frustrating?) that people continue to engage...and give a platform to...the same handful of trolls who continually contribute nothing constructive to this community.

By any objective measure, the pass rush got better with the addition of Leonard Floyd.

Filthy Beast was on my "ignore" list long before he left the forum.  It's a much-underused function of the board.

Everyone has a right to post, I also have the right not to listen to bull-droppings!

• Agree 5

4 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Protect your QB and get to the other QB. Thats how you win a Super Bowl with a franchise QB like Josh Allen. Love it

Skip the pass rush stuff; it doesn't translate enough to wins and losses.

Protect the QB? Hell yes.  I'd spend every dime on offense and just look to be league average at every position on D.

No pass rusher has ever won a championship for anyone.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

To get a player of his caliber this late into FA is pretty remarkable. I never thought we had a shot since he would be commanding top dollar but I think a 1 year chance at a SB and to play with Von again will be ideal. I think we improved along the trenches on both sides of the ball this season which should elivate our chances at the big prize.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Protect the QB? Hell yes.  I'd spend every dime on offense and just look to be league average at every position on D.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. You say no pas rusher has ever won a championship. But has an individual offensive lineman? No, probably not.

You're comparing upgrading the whole OL to the signing of one defensive lineman.

Now, could you say an entire dline helped contribute to winning a championship? Hell yes. Same with a bigtime OL.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That would be true if Oliver was overpaid. But there's no particular reason to think that's so.

It'll depend on how he plays. And it's certainly possible that he underperforms. But to think that you know better than the people who saw him in practice every day, in the locker room every day, and had access to his exact medical situation based on the best experts in the business ... well, it's laughable.

You could turn out to be right. Being as sure as you show you are when saying this is just ridiculous.

Why is it laughable? There are many occasions where fans are right and the front offices are not. Certainly not the every time. Nuts laughable to suggest the fans can’t get it right some of the time. I suppose it’s your prerogative to state it would be laughable for yourself to ever be right instead of a coach or GM, but you shouldn’t extrapolate from your own shortcomings. 

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Sarcasm?

We literally signed the pass rusher that won SB50 for the Broncos, and was given the SB MVP trophy, over our current HC's team.

• Like (+1) 3