Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Meh

the pass rush was dreadful so they needed someone but this guy was a bust until he got to play next to Aaron Donald.

my girlfriend could rack up 6-8 sacks playing next to Donald, Floyd won’t have that luxury here 

Is she Available at a better price though? 

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd keep Lawson over Basham.

agreed 100%

basham maybe slightly better overall with his entire skillset but lawson is very good at edge defending against the run. and with a good OLB (milano) and some pass rush from anywhere else we need a good run edge defender.

i'd rather keep lawson because he is simply better at contain if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Meh

the pass rush was dreadful so they needed someone but this guy was a bust until he got to play next to Aaron Donald.

my girlfriend could rack up 6-8 sacks playing next to Donald, Floyd won’t have that luxury here 

Of course, she's 6'3 and runs a 4.5 40.

Meh

Well, we can all tell who the bottom is in this relationship.

38 minutes ago, essential said:

I have nothing against the player or the general idea, but Beane keeps investing in the D-Line and it continues to make no difference when it matters, in the playoffs.  I'd have rather spent this money on DHop and tried to out score our opponents.

Continually spending money/resources on the D-Line is great if it's making a difference (see SF), but when it consistently doesn't work you need to shift your mentality.

I have to disagree with you on this.  It makes no sense to abandon the DL because of some misses both in the draft and FA.

My hope is for a healthy DL this season that plays at a playoff level.  DHop is a good player but I think the obsession with him is way overblown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Sad... but probably true. Shaq is definitely a better player at this point

I could see it being Epenesa because Brandon is it gonna want to just cut somebody he’s gonna wanna try to get something in return

31 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Yes, as I said, the contract isn’t a concern. The concern is relying on vets approaching the downturn in their careers as quick-fix solutions. Floyd may or may not be productive/healthy this season at 31, but either way, Beane will be in the same situation next year with even more money dedicated to the DL and still needing pass rush help.

So a couple of things are
If it’s a one year deal, it’s not adding money to the cap

And let’s not act like Brandon has not brought in any lineman through the draft Gregory Rousseau is a fine player. He is improving every year he just needs a running mate on the other side to unlock his potential like von Miller was doing before he went down..

• Like (+1) 1

yeah. realistically the next gain here isn't even going to be 1 extra win added, even if he's good. 

I'm assuming Floyd will add around 6 sacks and wont do much to help stopping the run. Hopkins woulda been a 1300 yard receiver with an even bigger impact in the red zone

but everyone is celebrating this morning like we won the super bowl lol

1300 yard receiver? And we’re out to lunch being happy about bolstering our DL and sack numbers with a solid proven contributor? Come on now you’ve gone too far now sir lol

edit And I happen to WANT hopkins too but let’s stay on earth friends 

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Huh?   So signing Floyd makes you feel better about the WR position as it currently stands?

I think many people realize that the offense while not always perfect is still producing points in sufficient quantity that makes upgrading it harder than upgrading a defense that has been unreliable when a big stop is needed to close out important games.  The Bills have been s good team the past few years they just need a bit of tweaking and the defense hasn't always done its share in many games. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

It feels more and more as though Basham and Epenesa will be camp casualties.  It’s disappointing and no feather in Beane’s cap to whiff on two 2nd rounders, but at least he’s not doubling down on the mistake by standing pat.

Hard to criticize this signing.

I'd be surprised if AJ isn't here. He would have to really suck in camp. He was decent for the Bills as a rotational rusher last season. He isn't necessarily what you want out of a 2nd round pick but he is cheap and a serviceable rotational rusher. Equally if he puts up another 6 sack season he could well get paid a qualifying FA contract next spring which might help us net a comp pick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I'd be surprised if AJ isn't here. He would have to really suck in camp. He was decent for the Bills as a rotational rusher last season. He isn't necessarily what you want out of a 2nd round pick but he is cheap and a serviceable rotational rusher. Equally if he puts up another 6 sack season he could well get paid a qualifying FA contract next spring which might help us net a comp pick. 

Makes sense.