Bills Sign Leonard Floyd

JGMcD2

58 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Last season, Aaron Donald missed 6 games at the end of the year.  

Leonard Floyd had 4 sacks during that stretch.  So it's not just the attention that Donald commands.

And even though the Bills don't have anyone the caliber of Donald on our D-Line, we are still far beyond what Floyd had next to him on the Chicago Bears.

Oh, you’re going to let the facts come into play here? Seems almost unfair, but I can’t complain any time someone shoots down his tired schtick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d wager Shaq is in trouble more than Boogie… I’d be surprised if they already conclude Boogie doesn’t have it considering their love and patience for their draft picks.

Sad... but probably true. Shaq is definitely a better player at this point

18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The best part about this strategy of "going for it all" is we're not mortgaging our future.

No 2nd round draft pick given up for Hopkins. Sorry armchair GM's.

We gained a 3rd round comp for losing Edmunds.

No panicked movements, just flawless execution to set our team up for a Super Bowl and future success.

Agreed. 

So far, Beane has been true to his commitment.

A little tight against the cap for the foreseeable future, but with quite a few core players locked up, along with preserving (and adding) draft picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t think we can keep all the DE on the roster right? How many do we have, and how many can we keep?

Epenesa, Boogie and Shaq must be sweating right now.

My guess is Epenesa goes for a 6th round pick.  

I’m not loving the fact they extended Oliver to clear space to add more money to the DL, but it is what it is.  I will wait to see the terms of this deal before judging it too harshly. 

If he comes in and plays up to what he did with the Rams, this is a nice piece, I would have preferred Ingram, but whatever.  If/once everyone is healthy, I could see this allowing them to kick Groot inside with Floyd and Miller on the ends in passing situations.  Groot was an absolute monster from the inside at Miami, might be a really good move for him to kick in more often.  

I suspect this means you will see Von start the year on the PUP list and they will look to trade somebody off the line.  Also might be an indication they asked Boogie to kick into a 3tech role so he can play more to his strengths.   Hopefully, with McD taking over the D, there are some changes and players start getting used to strengths instead of paying guys big money to rotate in and out while not using their best attributes.  There has been a disconnect between the players Beane has brought in and their usage, especially on D, I’m hopeful that walked out the door with Frazier.  That said, McD should not have allowed it in the first place if that was really the issue.   This year will tell us a lot. 

From the outside looking in, I would hope they plan to use AJE in a pass rush LB type of role, kind of what they did w Klein when Edmunds was out.  Maybe try some over load plays where you stick Von and Groot to one side and have Shaq and AJE (as LB) to the other, Jones in the “middle” and let them get after the QB.   Boogie could be a nice interior rusher/back up DE.  Oliver had better become Kwan Short in his new contract/role and be disruptive from the interior on a regular basis.   If McD is truly going to get aggressive, he has some toys to play with, I’d like to see it. 

As others have said, we seem to have an excess of players on the Edge, so I’m guessing either plans have changed for a couple or there are going to be some moves made.  I can’t see them doing much until after/during pre-season, you don’t want to put yourself back in a thin situation with pass rushers for late round picks, it’s just not worth it.  I would guess, Shaq, Boogie and AJE are fighting for their roster spots.  Though as I said earlier, there may be plans to shift some guys.  Boogie does have some versatility as could AJE if they look at a stand up rusher.  It will make for an interesting summer.

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Boogie is a 2nd round pick from this regime entering his 3rd year. Given their propensity for patience and confidence in their draft picks, I’d be somewhat surprised if he is cut. 

Well which is why they might trade to trade him for a late rd pick. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Epenesa? add in Floyd and that’s 10 deep. They won’t all make it.

Basham and Settle are the weakest players of this group. Too early to cut Basham. 

• Agree 1

This is the guy I have been hoping for. Could be excellent fill in for Von,versatile depth. 

2 hours ago, mathja said:

Bye bye Boogie? 

Not enough reps for everyone, but still love the ruthlessness of going for it all. 

I see him platooning with Lawson until Miller returns. Versatile, excellent depth 

I have nothing against the player or the general idea, but Beane keeps investing in the D-Line and it continues to make no difference when it matters, in the playoffs.  I'd have rather spent this money on DHop and tried to out score our opponents.

Continually spending money/resources on the D-Line is great if it's making a difference (see SF), but when it consistently doesn't work you need to shift your mentality.

38 minutes ago, DC Grid said:

Love this move.  Guy isn’t a world beater, but is a solid veteran pass rusher and a heck of a lot better than anyone the Bills have after Miller and Rousseau.  As a pure pass rusher he was the best left on the market.  

From what I've seen he doesn't look like a "natural" pass rusher. He looks a little wild and flailing in his movements (they aren't tight). But I've also seen that he doesn't give up on plays and will routinely try multiple techniques or just go all the way around the tackle and catch the QB.

He looks like he's trying like hell, all motor, and just laser focused on the QB. Von is ALOT more natural and smooth, but Floyd still brings the wood, even if it's not as pretty. (Layman's observations)

All in all he should be productive on this defense; a defense that I betting we will see get alot more aggressive and blitz-y. That was McDs "problem?" In Carolina, being somewhat too aggressive and counting on the secondary to be dominant. But we do have a roster right now well suited to that style.

Really dig this signing even if I'm still concerned about WR and the AFC arms race.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, essential said:

I have nothing against the player or the general idea, but Beane keeps investing in the D-Line and it continues to make no difference when it matters, in the playoffs.  I'd have rather spent this money on DHop and tried to out score our opponents.

Continually spending money/resources on the D-Line is great if it's making a difference (see SF), but when it consistently doesn't work you need to shift your mentality.

Continues? We’ve yet to see a Bills defense with Von Miller or Leonard Floyd on it in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, essential said:

The D-line was very disruptive when Von was healthy.  If Von and Floyd are both healthy, it helps us even more. Especially with Sean calling the shots now 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

My guess is Epenesa goes for a 6th round pick.  

Tough decision, imo.  

Epenesa only has one year left on his deal, but has shown flashes.  

Boogie has two years left, but has shown next to nothing.  

We only have Von, Rousseau and Oliver under contract for '24 if we move Boogie.