How will the defense be different this year?

oldmanfan

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

You still keep trying to site a whopping 2 games as an indication of your bias vs the body of evidence.   You can believe whatever you want. 

LOL no I’m not.

You seem to think if a team doesn’t make the playoffs, they have a rookie or back up QB lol.  

We beat 3 teams that made the playoffs last year.  Ravens, Chiefs and Dolphins.  Should have been 4 but we couldn’t execute a simple QB/C exchange against the Vikes.  The Chiefs beat 4 playoff teams last year in the regular season.

So you honestly believe we won 10 games against back ups and rookies last year?  Is that what you really believe?

19 hours ago, Billl said:

Very similar to the last several seasons schematically.  Anyone who thinks Frazier was going rogue and doing things that McDermott was opposed to is delusional.

"Going rogue" would be the last 2 words I would use for Frazier's play calling.  As for the term "delusional", I would use that for any fan

that thinks Sean is calling the D only because Frazier will be back calling the Buffalo Bills defense next season.

Frazier is out because he is too predictable, and Sean will call the plays this year while training one of the assistants to take over next season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

You still keep trying to site a whopping 2 games as an indication of your bias vs the body of evidence.   You can believe whatever you want. 

They had damn well better not being paying all this money to Von and using multiple 1st and second round picks as edge setters.  I’m all for interior pressure, but if they misuse the personnel that way, everyone should be fired.  If that’s the plan, no more games, obviously the coaches and the GM can’t get in the same page and it’s just pissing in the wind.  Especially after adding Floyd. 

Every good defense sets the edge. Containing the edge does not mean that they don't rush the passer but it does mean that the edge guys won't be driving inside and letting the QB escape the pocket to the outside. The idea is to use the outside rush to get the passer or to force the QB to step up into the pocket and collapse it on him.  It's the disciplined approach that McD used in Carolina and I expect to see him use it when he is running the defense this year.  Freelance pass rushers can give up big plays if they gamble and don't get the QB.  Miller is one of the best at controlling the edge while generating pressure on the QB (thus the big contract).

22 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

Creative and timely blitzing, more unpredictable, quicker adapting to what offenses are doing, more CB challenge at the line of scrimmage 

Well, what exactly was McD doing all week if the offense was mostly run by Daboll and then by Dorsey? Frasier was calling the plays on D, but rumor has it that McD was heavily involved. Adjusting on the fly during the game is important, but overall how could the approach be that different?

Here is what I miss, CREATIVITY

I think maybe it was Brady, when talking about our D, and he basically said its tough to play against us because we show the same look and play so many different coverages and its all really well disguised....

I feel like we got away from that and just played the same damn way play after play and week after week.

We are going to see some creative zone blitzing.  I don't think McDermott's philosophy is to "bring the house" very much, but he'll definitely blitz more than Frazier.   It helps that the secondary might be really good this season.  That is something of an assumption, based on a hopes that Tre White will be back to the form of earlier in his career, Hyde and Poyer can stay healthy and the young CBs (Elam, Benson and Jackson can continue developing).  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL no I’m not.

You seem to think if a team doesn’t make the playoffs, they have a rookie or back up QB lol.  

We beat 3 teams that made the playoffs last year.  Ravens, Chiefs and Dolphins.  Should have been 4 but we couldn’t execute a simple QB/C exchange against the Vikes.  The Chiefs beat 4 playoff teams last year in the regular season.

So you honestly believe we won 10 games against back ups and rookies last year?  Is that what you really believe?

Let’s get a break down for you week by week:

1) W vs Rams - Rams finished 5-12 

2) W vs Titans - 7 Win team

3) L vs Phins

4) W vs Ravens - let up 20 pts, did a good job vs Jackson.  Credible win.

5) W vs Pitt - rookie QB

6) W vs Chiefs -  best game of the year.

7) W vs Packers - hot garbage team, especially at that point in year 3-5 at that point.

8:  L- Jets to Zach Wilson no less

9) L - Vikes - gave up 33

10) W - Browns - back up QB

11) W - Lions - 4-7 team at the time.

12) W- Pats-  .500 team and Mac Jones.. so basically a back up

13) W - Jets - back up QB

14) W - Dolphins gave up 29 to Tuna

15) W vs Bears 3-12 team 

16) Cancelled - getting slapped early by Cinci 

17) W - Pats 8-9 team 

18) W - Dolphins 3rd string QB gave up 31.

19) L - dismantled by Bengals.

So there ya go, you have an entire season laid out for you, this team beat 3 credible teams the whole year and got a lot of points hung in them in those games as well. 

For 2021, 9 of the 12 Wins came against teams with a rookie QB or a back up QB.   This vaunted D is a myth.  2022 had 4 rookies or back-ups for wins.  There is a reason this D gets exposed every year in the playoffs, they have had super soft competition, year in and year out.  8 wins this year vs sub .500 teams..  

So yeah, this D has thrived on Rookies, back-ups and trash.   They have all of 3 Quality wins all of 2023 and really only 2 for 2021 if you count the first playoff game.   

7 hours ago, T master said:

I'd say given the signings that Beane has done the D will be delicious this season to say the least . 

Adding Floyd and Rapp then with Myka & Po being healthy this D could be a hole lot better in getting to the QB & causing havoc for other teams, they have been really good in the past when it comes to stats but with these additions it could be much better in play than stats .

I watched some of last seasons games & Edmunds was decent but it seemed every cli[ i saw him late to the tackle or missed completely & i think the MLB could even be better if the new kid Williams as long as he has better instincts & can pick up the D quick with Klien's help .

I hope you're not implying other teams will eat them up. If it happens, it would be very disappointing.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Let’s get a break down for you week by week:

1) W vs Rams - Rams finished 5-12 

2) W vs Titans - 7 Win team

3) L vs Phins

4) W vs Ravens - let up 20 pts, did a good job vs Jackson.  Credible win.

5) W vs Pitt - rookie QB

6) W vs Chiefs -  best game of the year.

7) W vs Packers - hot garbage team, especially at that point in year 3-5 at that point.

8:  L- Jets to Zach Wilson no less

9) L - Vikes - gave up 33

10) W - Browns - back up QB

11) W - Lions - 4-7 team at the time.

12) W- Pats-  .500 team and Mac Jones.. so basically a back up

13) W - Jets - back up QB

14) W - Dolphins gave up 29 to Tuna

15) W vs Bears 3-12 team 

16) Cancelled - getting slapped early by Cinci 

17) W - Pats 8-9 team 

18) W - Dolphins 3rd string QB gave up 31.

19) L - dismantled by Bengals.

So there ya go, you have an entire season laid out for you, this team beat 3 credible teams the whole year and got a lot of points hung in them in those games as well. 

For 2021, 9 of the 12 Wins came against teams with a rookie QB or a back up QB.   This vaunted D is a myth.  2022 had 4 rookies or back-ups for wins.  There is a reason this D gets exposed every year in the playoffs, they have had super soft competition, year in and year out.  8 wins this year vs sub .500 teams..  

So yeah, this D has thrived on Rookies, back-ups and trash.   They have all of 3 Quality wins all of 2023 and really only 2 for 2021 if you count the first playoff game.   

You went through all that and it's all meaningless lol.

Most teams do not make the playoffs.  Most teams do not have franchise QB's.  Every good team in the NFL faces mostly bad to average teams with a few big games a year.  Unless you think teams like the Chiefs and Eagles play nothing but playoff teams in the regular season lol.

Wanna know a cool stat?

The Chiefs beat 9 teams last year sub .500.

The Eagles beat 8 teams last year sub .500

Both of them trash?  Let me guess...only for the Bills.

Do we discredit the Pats because they had two teams in their divisions with long playoff draughts.  The Bills at 17 years, the Jets currently at 12 years and the Dolphins made the playoffs a few times in Brady's reign.  That was at least 5 easy wins for them every year.

So we've beaten the teams that we are supposed to and yet you criticize lol.  

You cherry picked a different reason why each win was meaningless lol....just reaching and reaching and reaching.

"Lions 4-7 at the time" - well they did win 5 out of their last 6 after the Bills including beating the Jags by 3 scores.  They were also 5th in the league in scoring.

Let me guess...5th in the league in scoring means you're trash.

Yeah the Rams were a 5-12 team but that kinda happens when you lose Aaron Donald, Cooper Cupp and Matt Stafford.  They were at full stretch game 1 against us.  

The defense didn't give up 33 to the Vikings.  If Josh Allen fumbles the ball in the endzone and the Vikings recover it, that doesn't count against our defense.

I know you will try to argue that it does but it doesn't.  The defense also stopped the Vikings on 4th down to give us the ball back.  And Allen had one of his worst games of the season with 3 turnovers.

The defense didn't give up 31 to the Dolphins in the playoffs.  Again, when Allen fumbles the ball and the Dolphins player recovers it in the end zone, that doesn't count against our defense.  Lets also talk about the two other turnovers that gave the Dolphins the ball in the redzone and the other at the 40.  Not to mention a punt return in the redzone. 

The Dolphins also played terribly on offense.  Skylar Thompson was 18 of 45.  Wilson was their leading rusher with 23 yards total.  Hill was their leading WR with 69 yards.  

They were 4 of 16 on 3rd down.  They had 230 total yards and averaged 3.3 yards per play.  

You're right, the defense was awful.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You went through all that and it's all meaningless lol.

Most teams do not make the playoffs.  Most teams do not have franchise QB's.  Every good team in the NFL faces mostly bad to average teams with a few big games a year.  Unless you think teams like the Chiefs and Eagles play nothing but playoff teams in the regular season lol.

Wanna know a cool stat?

The Chiefs beat 9 teams last year sub .500.

The Eagles beat 8 teams last year sub .500

Both of them trash?  Let me guess...only for the Bills.

Do we discredit the Pats because they had two teams in their divisions with long playoff draughts.  The Bills at 17 years, the Jets currently at 12 years and the Dolphins made the playoffs a few times in Brady's reign.  That was at least 5 easy wins for them every year.

So we've beaten the teams that we are supposed to and yet you criticize lol.  

You cherry picked a different reason why each win was meaningless lol....just reaching and reaching and reaching.

"Lions 4-7 at the time" - well they did win 5 out of their last 6 after the Bills including beating the Jags by 3 scores.  They were also 5th in the league in scoring.

Let me guess...5th in the league in scoring means you're trash.

Yeah the Rams were a 5-12 team but that kinda happens when you lose Aaron Donald, Cooper Cupp and Matt Stafford.  They were at full stretch game 1 against us.  

The defense didn't give up 33 to the Vikings.  If Josh Allen fumbles the ball in the endzone and the Vikings recover it, that doesn't count against our defense.

I know you will try to argue that it does but it doesn't.  The defense also stopped the Vikings on 4th down to give us the ball back.  And Allen had one of his worst games of the season with 3 turnovers.

The defense didn't give up 31 to the Dolphins in the playoffs.  Again, when Allen fumbles the ball and the Dolphins player recovers it in the end zone, that doesn't count against our defense.  Lets also talk about the two other turnovers that gave the Dolphins the ball in the redzone and the other at the 40.  Not to mention a punt return in the redzone. 

The Dolphins also played terribly on offense.  Skylar Thompson was 18 of 45.  Wilson was their leading rusher with 23 yards total.  Hill was their leading WR with 69 yards.  

They were 4 of 16 on 3rd down.  They had 230 total yards and averaged 3.3 yards per play.  

You're right, the defense was awful.

Can you please provide a picture of yourself to the folks at Webster Dictionary?  They have decided to add it to the definition of “Homer”.   They plan to add in context of being unable to accept obvious facts, when presented in a clear and easy to understand format. 

34 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Can you please provide a picture of yourself to the folks at Webster Dictionary?  They have decided to add it to the definition of “Homer”.   They plan to add in context of being unable to accept obvious facts, when presented in a clear and easy to understand format. 

Lol…right.

Lets just revisit your the defense will take a major step back statement in 6 months. 

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well, we're probably starting a Safety at MLB, so that'll be interesting.

Might be the future of the game.  The field should be full of big guys on the line or little fast guys in pass coverage.  This hybrid LB concept is becoming dated.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

You're being hyperbolic and partisan. You aren't able to see the Bills objectively; it's all ego and polarized opinion and opposing "sides" with you. 

Imagine treating sports as a platform for tribal debate. So joyless and narcissistic. 

Consider focusing on the actual sport and all its variable, quantum chessboard violence. Open yourself to the possibilities of fluid uncertainty. Celebrate and dissect what actually happens, rather than your own narrative/prediction of what WILL happen. To do so, one must be willing and able to remove one's head entirely from one's own backside.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Lol…right.

Lets just revisit your the defense will take a major step back statement in 6 months. 

It's also lame, or even cowardly, to predict that a top defense will statistically decline YoY. Because that's a likely outcome. Historically, team defensive rankings are fairly inconsistent YoY when compared to offense. So the quoted poster could likely be right without actually proving or knowing anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Well, what exactly was McD doing all week if the offense was mostly run by Daboll and then by Dorsey? Frasier was calling the plays on D, but rumor has it that McD was heavily involved. Adjusting on the fly during the game is important, but overall how could the approach be that different?

Overseeing the family love fest and coaching people to be the best versions of themselves ... Coordinators included

I think you'll see more creativity, more aggression, and less predictability. Partly because the defensive has to be healthier (fingers crossed) and because there is more depth. The real question for me though is what will be different in the playoffs. That's where the defense has failed the past two seasons. You have to be able to get pressure with 4 guys against Burrow and Mahomes or you have to be really creative and disguise everything you do. 

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Holy Cow Bills Fans. DCof NC just. GOT. WRECKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

It's also lame, or even cowardly, to predict that a top defense will statistically decline YoY. Because that's a likely outcome. Historically, team defensive rankings are fairly inconsistent YoY when compared to offense. So the quoted poster could likely be right without actually proving or knowing anything. 

Or you could look at the facts and recognize the ratings have been achieved against inferior talent.  Then also recognize the level of competition has been raised for this coming year and the overall talent of this team has decreased after free agency.   Enjoy the beach life, I’m sure the sand feels nice over your head.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Lol…right.

I’ll be patiently waiting. 

I suspect we will have a real pass rush this year and so the defense will actually improve as the year goes on. (barring the dreaded injuries which all the whiners seem to ignore. I one point for a couple games we played two rookies and two backups in the secondary. having both safeties healthy and white much closer to his true form is going to help significantly.  as well as getting von back. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.