How will the defense be different this year?

oldmanfan

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Likely will be more aggressive as alluded to by AJ Klein and some others on D.

As Cosell notes in his article, McD was a former Jim Johnson protege and Johnson was known for being aggressive and blitzing...

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2023/05/24/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-von-miller-blitz/

Thank hod someone listened to a few of my posts about JJ and his mentorship of McD.  JJ was very aggressive and effective, but he ran primarily from a 3-4.  I don’t see McD converting, but he will be aggressive.

One point another mentioned is the underrated acquisition of Rapp.  Rapp is our big nickel solution for heavy 12 personnel and better running teams.  It’s a creative fix and save Taron for the finesse pass happy teams.

McBeane inferred there has been a bit of a shift in philosophy where we want more speed at the MLB closer to Milano mold.  Get more power up front with Ford, Daquan, J Philips, and Settle.

39 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thank hod someone listened to a few of my posts about JJ and his mentorship of McD.  JJ was very aggressive and effective, but he ran primarily from a 3-4.  I don’t see McD converting, but he will be aggressive

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

Sorry but believe your statement on Eagles being

a 3-4 D under Jim Johnson is incorrect.  

5 hours ago, Beast said:

He said more aggressive so I would imagine more blitzing for one.

I also think his 'more aggressive'  could signal players being more opportunistic when Josh and offense are clicking in any given game, which I think is pretty much most games, then our defense can certainly get the ball back for Josh and the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

I expect a major step backwards, this team has feasted on garbage teams and back up/rookie QBs.  This D is not special and not that talented where it matters.   Middle of the pack ranking and again, Josh will have to win games himself.

BUT, it’s not McBeans fault Oliver didn’t show up after an extension, Avon looks old and the rest of the line is average on their best day.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

This team needs to learn to stop the run in critical times.  I know they have been in top 10 Rush defense...but when it came to critical stops, this team failed.  We need them to pick that up.    We dominate the run ad put pressure on the QB.

This team needs its defense to step up unlike any other year for them to have a shot at the SB

10 hours ago, freddyjj said:

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

Sorry but believe your statement on Eagles being

a 3-4 D under Jim Johnson is incorrect.  

Freddy, I may have over stated as I know the zone blitz 43 pressures JJ performed back in the day, but he also what is not in this article was a visionary who pioneered the fluidity of going back and forth based on opponents.  Even the Bills show 34 looks at times based on what opposing offenses are showing.

JJ was a phenomenal coordinator, and way ahead of his time.  Rivera, McD and even as an offensive coach Reid learned from JJ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

This team needs to learn to stop the run in critical times.  I know they have been in top 10 Rush defense...but when it came to critical stops, this team failed.  We need them to pick that up.    We dominate the run ad put pressure on the QB.

This team needs its defense to step up unlike any other year for them to have a shot at the SB

I don’t disagree with any of that, but IMO last season’s achilles heel’s were poor tackling and surrendering on 3rd and long. I’m confident that good coaching can correct both this year. 

I'd say given the signings that Beane has done the D will be delicious this season to say the least . 

Adding Floyd and Rapp then with Myka & Po being healthy this D could be a hole lot better in getting to the QB & causing havoc for other teams, they have been really good in the past when it comes to stats but with these additions it could be much better in play than stats .

I watched some of last seasons games & Edmunds was decent but it seemed every cli[ i saw him late to the tackle or missed completely & i think the MLB could even be better if the new kid Williams as long as he has better instincts & can pick up the D quick with Klien's help .

• Like (+1) 1

Whatever it is, I don't want to see our CBs lined up 8-10 yards from their WRs. Goodness, that was painful to watch in the Cinci game. 

Other than that, I don't expect much - I feel as if these defenses have been his all along. Edmund's departure should change some things, not having that beast in the middle of the field ... what, I don't know. 

7 minutes ago, Little Dog said:

With the signing of Floyd, I see a more aggressive attack at the opposing QB 

This signing was a bit underreported.  He had 9 sacks last year and 47.5 in 7 years with solid performancws

opposite of Von.  I love it.

I thought maybe we took a swing on Ngakoue, but he may have wanted too much.  This is a good sign.  If he alternates with Rousseau after Avon is back, plus Poona is a nice addition to the interior.  Settle might be the odd one out as much as I still like him.  We’ll find out in TC or specifically in late August.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember in 2020 they had to deal with a lot of players shuffling in and out on defense and it forced them to mix things up. The numbers weren't where they were for like '21 and '22 but they were definitely more aggressive. They mixed up the looks a lot more, more blitzing, more stunts, etc. They gave up some plays but they also seemed to cause more pressure, sacks, and turnovers. I hope it's more of that, like, let them get after it as opposed to keep everything in front of you and don't give up the big play. 

Be more effective in how and when you blitz.  Let Poyer roam a bit more with Hyde able to play that single high safety.  Continue to mix the cover 3 and cover 4 palms looks they use on 3rd and longs.  I'd like to see our corners be a bit more aggressive attacking the catch point.

I expect we get beat deep more often this year, but also create more negative plays.  I don't really care about being #2 in yards allowed on defense if its a defense that gets shredded in the playoffs.  

The big key is peaking at the right time - and not in september/october like we did last year. 

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I expect a major step backwards, this team has feasted on garbage teams and back up/rookie QBs.  This D is not special and not that talented where it matters.   Middle of the pack ranking and again, Josh will have to win games himself.

BUT, it’s not McBeans fault Oliver didn’t show up after an extension, Avon looks old and the rest of the line is average on their best day.

LOL...you're still using this when it's not true and you know it but you want to keep repeating it.

Lets revisit this in about 6 months.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Go back and watch Carolina games during their winning seasons (including super bowl season) and we'll have a good idea of what to expect.  Collapsing the pocket from the d-tackles, containing the edge, few free releases for WR's, wide variety in the blitz game, continued rotation on the d-line, more third and long specific personnel grouping substitutions, playing more of the game in the offensive backfield, and corners on an island more often are the things that have been seen from McD in the past. 

42 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL...you're still using this when it's not true and you know it but you want to keep repeating it.

Lets revisit this in about 6 months.

You still keep trying to site a whopping 2 games as an indication of your bias vs the body of evidence.   You can believe whatever you want. 

21 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Go back and watch Carolina games during their winning seasons (including super bowl season) and we'll have a good idea of what to expect.  Collapsing the pocket from the d-tackles, containing the edge, few free releases for WR's, wide variety in the blitz game, continued rotation on the d-line, more third and long specific personnel grouping substitutions, playing more of the game in the offensive backfield, and corners on an island more often are the things that have been seen from McD in the past. 

They had damn well better not being paying all this money to Von and using multiple 1st and second round picks as edge setters.  I’m all for interior pressure, but if they misuse the personnel that way, everyone should be fired.  If that’s the plan, no more games, obviously the coaches and the GM can’t get in the same page and it’s just pissing in the wind.  Especially after adding Floyd. 

The East is going to be so hard to predict this year.   Big upgrades in Buffalo, Miami and NY.

I don't suspect we will see a different philosophy on defense.  What I do hope is the players they now have can execute it better.

oh.. and it goes without saying, injuries to QB1 across all teams will figure prominently in who thrives, who survives and who dies..  

Edited by wjag

With SD being an understudy of Jim Johnson, I'd expect:

1.  Misdirection all the time.  No more predictable "oh we'll just rush 4....""

2. Many more blitzes from the secondary and linebackers.

3. Many more opportunities for interceptions.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.