How will the defense be different this year?

oldmanfan

With McD calling the D signals this coming season, what do you think will look different over Frazier calling the shots?  I think we’ll see our corners playing up on WRs more to keep them from getting into their routes.  And I think we’ll see a lot more stunts up front to free up the pass rush.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't expect to see a "bend but don't break" philosophy.  I think we'll see more risks - willing to give up a big play to try to make more impact plays on the defensive side.  More press coverage, not laying 8-10 yards off the receiver at the line.  More aggressive blitzing.

And I think it will succeed.  Our '23 defense will get more sacks, more INT's, more fumbles, more TFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I agree with Augie.  Last 2 years Bills have not been healthy.

Defense last 5 years were based up Edmunds covering a larger area than other LBs.

Without him as seen when Edmunds was out defense needed to be changed (Game where Klein got DPOW) or can be exploited.

Defense will need to depend less on DBs covering for LBs.

• Agree 1

I think an underrated move was the Rapp signing and he'll play in the big nickel. 

Watching that KC game yesterday and seeing Neal get abused in that role, Rapp should be a massive upgrade over him.

Tre looking like his all pro self

Elam progresses , though I thought he had a good rookie year, has potential to be elite

Ford is amazing depth 

Most importantly is staying healthy 

• Like (+1) 4

Beane and McDermott have come right out and said it. Edmunds was a good player, but he couldn’t change direction fast enough to keep up with slot WRs, so we’d get toasted by good offenses, while beating up on the predictable ones.

The new pieces:

- Terrel Bernard: while people don’t have high hopes for Bernard, he was a great disguised blitzer in college. The allows for more scheme multiplicity than the always 5 yards down the field Edmunds.

- Poona Ford: a legit run stuffer to pair with DaQuon Jones against power run offenses. These two together might be the most formidable run stuffing pairing since Sam Adams and Pat Williams.

- Dorian Williams: not sure what to expect, but I’m hoping he has better “read and react” skills than Edmunds.

Getting back fully healthy:

Tre White, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Von Miller (late season). Exciting.

A big step could transform the defense:

Kaiir Elam, Greg Rousseau, Christian Benford. Not expecting much from Epenesa and Basham, but who knows?

As the others posted noted, we’ll likely show more multiple looks and matchup looks and McDermott had a history of being very aggressive with his defenses in Carolina and Philly.

To answer your question, I’m expecting more, particularly against good offenses. Exciting to think about!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Success said:

I don't expect to see a "bend but don't break" philosophy.  I think we'll see more risks - willing to give up a big play to try to make more impact plays on the defensive side.  More press coverage, not laying 8-10 yards off the receiver at the line.  More aggressive blitzing.

And I think it will succeed.  Our '23 defense will get more sacks, more INT's, more fumbles, more TFL.

I believe it will be a blend of what you are thinking...but it will still be a bend but don't break. The difference will be that McDermott will be very timely and strategically pick his spots to roll the dice and play aggressive. Choose when to catch the offense off guard and force a pass out too fast, force a bad decision. But against the high powered offenses in the NFL these days and the rules being slanted heavily in the favor of the passing game bend but don't break is way you have to play. Can't turn every game into a track meet.

• Like (+1) 1

Likely will be more aggressive as alluded to by AJ Klein and some others on D.

As Cosell notes in his article, McD was a former Jim Johnson protege and Johnson was known for being aggressive and blitzing...

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2023/05/24/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-von-miller-blitz/

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Success said:

Amen!   I’ll give up the occasional big play anyday and have more sacks and disruption.  Plus the chances of the big play are so much less than the 6 yards per easy play and March down the field. 

New England had the league so worried about the huge okay they willingly gave Brady and Co 4-6 yards per play.    I never understood it, especially when everyone knew the best way to beat NE was to hit Brady.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

With McD calling the D signals this coming season, what do you think will look different over Frazier calling the shots?  I think we’ll see our corners playing up on WRs more to keep them from getting into their routes.  And I think we’ll see a lot more stunts up front to free up the pass rush.

I think things will be more game to game because playing your CB up on Waddle and Hill and the Bills will get smoked by one or both of them. Against a team say like the Jets and or the Pats and you can probably excel doing that. 

3 hours ago, Success said:

Exactly, the previous defense (Frazier) was so predictable opposing teams knew we would run the same soft zone all game. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.